IGNORED

Final Fantasy VII

cimerians

The original is out on the store for 10 bucks (the Steam PC version).

Anyone watch the "gameplay" trailer of the new remake? I was there in 1997, pretty amazing to see this....it's a "wow holy shit" moment for me. The combat system looks simple thankfully, seems like you can switch between characters. I don't mind if they change it up a bit (like making it all in real time or making it like TYPE-0 which is well done).....but I'm really big on them keeping it simple like the original game. Attack, Magic, Summon, Item, Defend etc.

Wish FF 8 gets the same treatment since its my favorite. (doubt it)

I really enjoyed how it looked overall, and I'll be purchasing it of course. But...

This is just Final Fantasy XV with a Final Fantasy VII coat of paint.

Look at how everything is on there, and you'll see that they're being (fairly) lazy and just copy-pasting a lot of the content from FFXV to make FFVII.
As I told some friends, I'll still buy the shit outta both titles, but it seems a bit lame to me that I'm going to be getting the same game twice but with a different look really.

And yes I've heard that they didn't actually do that... but come on. It looks and plays nearly identical to FFXV. That's exactly what they did.

OKAY SORRY GOT THE NEGATIVE OUT OF THE WAY!

They did a really good job here. It looks amazing, and everything looks fairly correct for what it's supposed to be. The characters look good and appropriate. The voicing sounds right for who it's coming from. I'll be happy to venture back through that great world.
I won't say that they should have kept the turn-based combat (I would have preferred it honestly), but the combat looks pretty fun and cool.
It's a very pretty game, and it'll be nice to see a reinterpretation of Final Fantasy VII now that they have like a huuuuuge amount of extra story behind/interwoven/surrounding it all.

Now all that being said, what I would TRULY love to see is a game with that caliber of graphics with a true turn-based system! Can you imagine past FFVII with THOSE looks? I'd buy it five times hands down not a second thought.

I just read its going to be episodic. Leave it to SquareEnix to screw this up of course.

CVlyXPOW4AAWELj.jpg

Still I don't mind as long as the entire game is remade. Including superbosses like Emerald, Ruby etc.

If even one thing is missing it's a bust in my book. So if its too huge to release on its own and thats the reason then I'm good with it.

It's just that as with the Telltale games its really hard for me to wait for the next episode and end up skipping them to get the "complete" game at seasons end. Good example is the new King's Quest, I really want it but I'm waiting for every episode to come out before buying it.

• Like 2

Might as well make this an FF7 thread. I discovered these "features" after playing the game on PS4:

Press these on the controller:

L3 - speeds up everything x3

L3+R3 - turns off random encounters

R3 - heals everyone and gives every character infinite limit breaks

Um....sort of like cheating but I like turning off random encounters and speeding them up to level grind. :thumbsup:

His gun better get bigger. I don't recall sunglasses in Advent Children (which I enjoyed a lot). If it's too actiony I'm not all that interested at a 60+ price tag depending on how it's delivered. I loved a lot about the aesthetics in FF7, especially the music and the environments but if they hack off the materia and align it with more action-based titles I'm less interested right off the bat.

Might as well make this an FF7 thread. I discovered these "features" after playing the game on PS4:

Press these on the controller:

L3 - speeds up everything x3

L3+R3 - turns off random encounters

R3 - heals everyone and gives every character infinite limit breaks

Um....sort of like cheating but I like turning off random encounters and speeding them up to level grind. :thumbsup:

...what's the point in playing it then?

I only like the speed up part for trying to power level. Otherwise, that's just pure cheat buttons.

...what's the point in playing it then?

I only like the speed up part for trying to power level. Otherwise, that's just pure cheat buttons.

I dont have the time anymore to spend 50-60 hours watching Ifrit or Knights of the Round amimations and fighting pointless random battles. There's nothing wrong with adding that in, its optional.

I don't know how you got through the trailer without automatically writing it off completely. It's an absolute travesty.

Why? Its a remake, not a remaster. Its going to look modern and of course emulate some of the games they are doing these days (Kingdom Hearts, Type-0 etc).

If it busts it busts but for me I'll be getting it and trying it out for myself (hopefully there's a demo). There's some worries here but I'm not writing this off.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be purchasing the FF7 Remake as they make the episodes available. I want to see a modern spin on the 1997 classic. FF7 was the right game at the right time on the right platform at the right turning point of gaming. No one will be able to capture that magic ever again. I look forward to seeing the characters I love with the story I liked paralleled into today's rpg style and graphics.

Very sceptical of the remake. As I am with anything Square Enix puts out; eversince Square and Enix merged the company has transformed from one that would take risks and value its creators' visions to one with a more commercial approach. Meaning: If there is money in it, sell it, no matter if it is good.

FFVII is the prime example; they started producing pre- and sequels after the merger, something Square had never done before as stories that had been told should not be defiled by tacking stuff onto it. The compilation of FFVII became a disaster in my eyes, adding really generic plot twists and anime action to a story that was fine as it was.

I will give FFVII Remake a chance, sure. But with Tetsuya Nomura as director, a guy whom I could appreciate as a character artist when supervised, but that does horrible designs nowadays that he is boss, and who has never excelled in game design to begin with... not to begin with seeming incompetent at project management (FFvsXIII was his, before it changed directors and became FFXV last year, abd KH3 has been in development forever too)... I just have very low expectations. I expect it to be limited in gameplay, but full of high speed action and acrobatics.

The game being episodic is actually the least of its problems imo. You can well split FFVII into episodes. Episode 1 could be Midgar before players could enter the world map; with the added content from being able to explore all of the city instead of just 2 sectors in the original that should be plenty to do. However, I do expect free exploration of the world to be cut, so you only have one part of the world per episode.

The action battles disturb me a lot more, and the announcement to change things to make up for changes in society. The Honeybee brothel for example, where Cloud gets to take a bath with a bunch of moustache wearing callboys will be changed in an unspecified way.

Other things I expect to be changed because they just do not fit the realistic style. Cloud being catapulted high into the air from the back of a dolphin to reach the platform Junon is bult on for example.

But hey, that is what many fans asked for. I did not, because I knew SE would change a lot and their products have not been up to their old standards for years... but it is only natural that they do it. If they surprise me and do well, great! If they screw up, I'll just regard this as some fan fiction project that has no impact on the original game just like Crisis Core etc.

And I can still hope for fans to mod the remake back into FFVII style, with the gameplay of old and just the fancy graphics remaining of the remake. ^^

Episodic and why the bell is Barrett wearing sunglasses? I never watched advent children. Is this some stylistic choice they gave him starting with the movie, or did they just change things to change things?

Actually he was worse in Advent Children. He had a really gay looking chain shirt on and raster locks...

looked like a bouncer in some club, not like the somewhat simple, grumpy but likable miner turned eco terrorist from the game.

finalfantasyviiadventchildrenplayartskai

Edited by 108 Stars

I'm staying optimistic until it's in my hands and turns out to be boring. Coincidently, I just picked up the iOS port of FF7 and it is a lot of fun.

Really these changes, alterations, etc. none of that bugs me as long as they don't try to rewrite the past and pretend the original game never existed. While it is an unpopular opinion, I actually thought they did a great job with the FF6 update. I like the new graphics and having the added content from the GBA version is fabulous. I got a good vibe from the CGI trailer on the FF7 remake...I liked the music and it seemed appropriately atmospheric. I love the fact that one of the ways they've been marketing it has been by pushing the original game to every platform imaginable. Good on them for making the stuff available to people that aren't just gaming exclusively on console.