IGNORED

A8 Donkey Kong Jr. Arcade HACK

darryl1970

enhanced springs,, dirt is too bright... if it could be toned down just a little

arcade is looking good

enhanced vines nice!

Thanks for the feedback. Have you actually tried it at full screen?

I thought it looked back when I saw it on the smaller, compressed picture; but I liked the shading on the full-size game.

Thanks for the feedback. Have you actually tried it at full screen?

I thought it looked back when I saw it on the smaller, compressed picture; but I liked the shading on the full-size game.

I toned the dirt down some. It looked okay on my regular monitor, but my Samsung really brought our the saturation. Figure better moderate than overkill..

However, I recommend adding scanlines and GTIA artifacting to emulation. It makes the colors look more like it would on a CRT, and that blends the colors a little better.

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 1

Version 19:

1. Red snapjaws can no longer get Junior if he is hanging at the bottom of the vine, just like the arcade. (Thanks Tep392 and Playsoft for finding, fixing, and configuring for me)
  2. Slight changes to Junior climb frames and front stand.
  3. Toned down the colors on the Enhanced Spring level.
  4. Fixed some water issues on enhanced spring.
  5. brought back better log ends.
  6. Matched Vine logs to the better spring logs.

Vines Arcade Vines Enhanced

post-13491-0-37888100-1450935052_thumb.png post-13491-0-79911300-1450935081_thumb.png

Spring Arcade Spring Enhanced

post-13491-0-07349900-1450935057_thumb.png post-13491-0-40358600-1450935086_thumb.png

Mario's Hideout Both:

post-13491-0-90907200-1450935234_thumb.png

Locks Both:

post-13491-0-74081200-1450935071_thumb.png

Intermission BOTH.

post-13491-0-82173200-1450935061_thumb.png post-13491-0-89517200-1450935066_thumb.png

DkJr_V19(Arcade).xex

DkJr_V19(Enhanced).xex

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 7

Awesome!!! WOW!!! All the small changes in the good old Platformers. You guys rock. Thank you so much for pimping all my most beloved games of my childhood. Merry Christmas to you all.

Thank you. It's fun, but it is even better if somebody else appreciates it too. :)

Merry Christmas to you too!

• Like 1

This is just wonderful, this is the polish we should have had all those years ago!

Collaboration rocks!

Merry Christmas Atari style!

_The Doctor__

This game could have had a little more polish, but I understand why they did a few of the things they did.

I think they made the enemies thicker, so it wouldn't be obvious that the background disappeared behind them (since they are not sprites).

There were probably time constraints too.

Also, the moving water and dual graphics set for the Vines and Springs would have been outside of the 16KB cart range.

I can also bet that the PC is a far superior development system to whatever they had.

The programmers did capture a lot more detail than others at the time period. ColecoVision's version had a smoothness, due to the number of sprites, but it was uglier and lacked detail.

I think this is the only home version where Junior can reach the banana's from the left side. He also jumps backward. Fun things. lol.

I just want to give credit to the great base game we had to start with.

Collaboration DOES ROCK!

Merry Christmas to you too! :)

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 2

Finally got a chance to try both versions. A few observations:

1. To me Jr.'s face looks too wide when he's facing the screen

2. Did you adjust the spring somehow? I can't seem to get the high jump to work at all where I can do it fairly consistently in the original version

3. I like the logs in the enhanced version on the first screen, but I don't like them on the spring level. The background parts seem too dark

I fired up the original to see something and was shocked at how bad it looks now compared to your hack. I can't even play it now. :)

Finally got a chance to try both versions. A few observations:

1. To me Jr.'s face looks too wide when he's facing the screen

2. Did you adjust the spring somehow? I can't seem to get the high jump to work at all where I can do it fairly consistently in the original version

3. I like the logs in the enhanced version on the first screen, but I don't like them on the spring level. The background parts seem too dark

I fired up the original to see something and was shocked at how bad it looks now compared to your hack. I can't even play it now. :)

You mean the still or the two-handed climb position?

I actually tried to shrink his HUGE head on the two-handed climb. It was way out of whack before. It was HUGE!

Front-facing (level start and intermission) is a little big, but I wanted arcade accuracy. However, to compensate for the low Atari player resolution, I actually did trim a little off of his sides by his ears, on the most recent version.

I realized he's a little big overall, but I wanted the detail.

I actually trimmed just a little off of his sides to make it not AS big.

As for the spring, I didn't adjust anything. I don't really have much trouble, although it is slightly easier on the arcade. Maybe you're used to MAME or another home version?

Just suggesting, because that wasn't tweaked.

As for the springs, the log is actually the same as the Vine screen, but the chains are all the dark color.

The background of the spring (like near the start) is a lot of black, because I had complaints of it being too bright or Junior getting lost in the BG.

If you're talking about the chains though, I know what you mean. I am afraid it would be hard to fix. Using the white color for chains is TOO bright.

The middle color is yellow at the top and green when the floors appear. That makes the chains look really bad. :(

So, I chose the dark color. I do feel it is a little too dark, but it's the lesser of the evils, due to the limitations.

I DID have the chains looking sharp as a combo of RED and WHITE. It looked nice to me, but not like the arcade. Maybe I'll post that image as a vote.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of Pre-Christmas odds and ends to wrap up now (literally and figuratively), so not much time.

Thanks! I am glad you like it. I remember being a little disappointed with it when I bought the cart back in 83-84-ish, It was really good, but I didn't like the bricks.

I am glad you enjoy this version. I am hoping to wrap this up soon now. I will try a few things and see what the feedback is..

Have a good holiday!

Yeah I'm talking about Jr at the start of the level and during the intermission. To me his head looks a bit cartoony, but it's just my personal preference though.

I'm talking about the background on the springboard level. It just looks off to me. Maybe it's all that black? The chains are a bit dark, but they don't bother me too much.

Had a play of the V19s. Some comments!

Didn't like the look of the new ropes on the spring screen. Plus the problem is it's now too easy to fall off coming off the moving platform, you now have to wait for your hand to be on the left column of pixels. Before with thinner rope it was clear you had grasp of it.

Top of head can go through birds on key screen (though it's hard enough as it is!)

Delay at start of 1st go.

Add reset to reboot

Flash on extra life screen

Spare men graphic is poor.

I think the main problem with Jr vs regular Kong is the difficulty. Despite the boundary changes, which greatly improve things the game is too hard too soon. If the difficulty could be scaled back a bit players would get through a few more levels and the game would be better. I suspect the new graphics for the snap-jaws compared to the original in-your-face purple guys (and the larger Jr?) makes the game harder to see the baddies which is adding to the difficulty, especially on the key screen where it's pretty manic.

Anyway it's time to checkout DK Jr. Christmas Edition :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Had a play of the V19s. Some comments!

Didn't like the look of the new ropes on the spring screen. Plus the problem is it's now too easy to fall off coming off the moving platform, you now have to wait for your hand to be on the left column of pixels. Before with thinner rope it was clear you had grasp of it.

I had the exact same problem. I thought it was just me being rusty.

I'm having great difficulty getting past the birds on the spring screen. I swear it's tougher than it was before.

• Like 1

Actually it is spot on to the arcade version, I played the crap out of DKJr on the way to school everyday... This is now the best home computer translation of it I have played.... IMHO The difficulty in the arcade and this are now spot on...

A+++

What a difference a few tweaks made

• Like 3

I had the exact same problem. I thought it was just me being rusty.

I'm having great difficulty getting past the birds on the spring screen. I swear it's tougher than it was before.

One tip that I notice about those birds is that you have to retreat and hide if you kill any birds with fruit. They instantly regenerate, so that would make it harder. This doesn't happen on other versions until level 4.

Junior may also be a little bigger, due to making him more arcade-like. However, his "hit" box hasn't changed. The birds can graze the top of his head or butt (I don't remember off hand). Anyway, it might not be as tight of a squeeze as it looks, unless the birds are just too close together, due to the aforementioned.

If you've been playing MAME, Coleco, or the 7800, you may also be used to that too. The birds are not sprites, so they move a little blockier. That's why killing the birds can make some impossible situations.

Edited by darryl1970

I just had to play the Santa hats version... which appears in the enhanced version.... I make it thru the bird level no problem, and since I am (IMHO) an OK DK Jr player I guess I have the If I can do it anybody can do it thought process....

The brightness issue I had was how bright the rocks that were added to the dirt became on the spring level only.. which is what I think he was referring to and it did help Junior stand out but I am sure we can all scrutinize that and let him finalize his thoughts on it and put it to bed, I could have been more specific or precise for that matter!

The best darn Donkey Kong Junior versions ever I say! The best!

One tip that I notice about those birds is that you have to retreat and hide if you kill any birds with fruit. They instantly regenerate, so that would make it harder. This doesn't happen on other versions until level 4.

Maybe that's my problem. I'll try that and see.

• 2 weeks later...

Version 20 -- Beta Final??

Changes

1. Mario is redrawn from scratch. His whipping frames were backward. Modeled after arcade Mario now, instead of NES sprites.
  2. Red snapjaws cannot get Junior when at the very bottom of the vines/chains -- Thanks Tep392 and Playsoft!!!
  3. Touchup on DK Jr. remaining lives
  4. Added color back to Spring screen on Enhanced version.
  5. Removed animated water from "Arcade" version, to make it more "pure".
  6. Reduced Junior's head size in front facing frames, including two-handed climb.
  7. Tweaked Junior's "Fall" frame
  8. Removed water from arcade Spring screen -- it's not there in the arcade (pure)

Arcade Version

post-13491-0-59772300-1452132207_thumb.png post-13491-0-49223900-1452132214_thumb.png

Enhanced Version

post-13491-0-32757900-1452132235_thumb.png post-13491-0-66805100-1452132242_thumb.png

Same on both versions

post-13491-0-84250700-1452132264_thumb.png post-13491-0-03940500-1452132271_thumb.png

DkJr(Arcade)_V20.xex

DkJr(Enhanced)_V20.xex

• Like 11