IGNORED

A8 Donkey Kong Jr. Arcade HACK

darryl1970

Is there any reason that when I go to export my The!Cart workbook with the latest DK Jr Arcade file (.car made from the .xex file) it renames itself Maxflash Menu (whatever the memory address is)? Is this something to do with the file itself or am I doing something wrong? It didn't do that with the previous version.

I've uploaded my file.

dkjrarcade.zip

A really nice video. My skill level or lack of it, is not up to that standard of play.

You've done an amazing job on the refinements. Never thought back then, keen enough people would tidy it

up for it to become more like the arcade - or better!

No doubt there is a list of titles - players would like to see done too - but they would involve far more work

in the programming department - in which case, it would be better to start all again from scratch for those ones.

Harvey

It's interesting when you watch other people play game you know:

look at 2:08 the spring (I knew you could jump back down to it and land on the start platform but not this trick)

and 3:09 using the item above to shield you on the sparks screen (I never found a reliable way of doing this one, I usually went after the 1 spark and jumped over the 2 sparker. Anyone ?

If you run left, keeping left held on the top of the first screens you can get up to the final platform without having to wait for the full jump. Anyone got any others?

At 2.08: you just have to tap the fire button twice very quickly when Jr. lands on the spring to jump high. You also have to wait a bit to do this to have the platform move in close enough or it will fail.

This is also a feature of the arcade version so well converted.

Amazing job on redoing this one....love it !!!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Darryl!

1st, I really like the new versions of DKjr. & Popeye. But I have one question.

As you can see in my screenshot, the color of the ropes are green in the bottom screen (red border)

I know it's because you change the color to make the platforms green. (blue border)

My question: is there any reason, why do you not change the color after the end of the ropes, only in the blue border area?

post-41320-0-84314800-1455181691_thumb.png

Greetings, Mario

Hey Darryl!

1st, I really like the new versions of DKjr. & Popeye. But I have one question.

As you can see in my screenshot, the color of the ropes are green in the bottom screen (red border)

I know it's because you change the color to make the platforms green. (blue border)

My question: is there any reason, why do you not change the color after the end of the ropes, only in the blue border area?

attachicon.gifDKjr.DLI.png

Greetings, Mario

I did notice that. It has been SO LONG that I forget, but I believe there was a reason.

I BELIEVE that there was a timing thing. I think there was already an interrupt happening there, and Playsoft hooked into that.

I think it would slow it down to add another interrupt.

Plus, I didn't think it was as noticeable on my NTSC TV set.

He may remember.

Also, the same issue is present on the ORIGINAL, found on the spring screen. That one is unavoidable.

post-13491-0-90749500-1455209187_thumb.png

So, I figured it was okay. :)

• Like 1

I did notice that. It has been SO LONG that I forget, but I believe there was a reason.

I BELIEVE that there was a timing thing. I think there was already an interrupt happening there, and Playsoft hooked into that.

I think it would slow it down to add another interrupt.

It's a hack so you are limited in what you can change without major rework. From what I remember it's a single big DLI routine for all DLIs and all levels. There was another DLI triggered lower down the screen and the colour change there worked perfectly --- until you climbed up the screen and the whole game slowed down. I moved the colour change up to the position it is now and the slow down went away. That was good enough for me as I didn't want to spend any more time on it.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Version 21

I didn't plan on making any more changes; but since I have been hacking Donkey Kong, I realized I may have been able to give DK the proper smile.

In making this change, I realized that Mario was all one color when falling, and he should have different color arms, so I changed that too.

I also gave DK a little "Face" when he kicks Mario.

post-13491-0-79316500-1461884692_thumb.png post-13491-0-47133800-1461884693_thumb.png

post-13491-0-27863200-1461884690_thumb.png post-13491-0-56472400-1461884689_thumb.png

DkJr(Arcade)_V21.xex

DkJr(Enhanced)_V21.xex

• Like 9

Guest LiqMat

Hi Darryl,

So I am a little confused. Do you develop these games yourself? I saw you mentioned Playsoft so I was not sure if they develop these games with you or you are Playsoft, etc. Last question is do you develop on emulation or use real hardware or both? Thanks.

Hi Darryl,

So I am a little confused. Do you develop these games yourself? I saw you mentioned Playsoft so I was not sure if they develop these games with you or you are Playsoft, etc. Last question is do you develop on emulation or use real hardware or both? Thanks.

These are just hacks of the original games. I mostly handled graphics and color schemes. On DK Jr., Playsoft extracted the graphics, tweaked his character and player editor to match Jr, and he wrote a program to inject the graphics back into the game.

Tep392 found the collision and boundaries for the floors. He tweaked those, and Playsoft added those changes to the overall package.

Most of the work is done on the PC, but I test them out on real hardware too.