IGNORED

What shall I do now?

Star castler

I happen to have 4 disk drives, 2 810, 2 1050, all dead since I last checked. I have at least 50+ disks and whatnot and I need your help on what I should do. I enjoy using the real hardware and I'm wondering what on earth I should do with my disk drive situation. I'm wondering about repair options or if at this point I should get new drives instead.

• Like 1

How about belts?

Sure belts go to, but I've 9 drives now, 7 I've tested and 3 of those 7 have bad caps for sure and a 4th will randomly fail to write stuff but I haven't taken it apart yet. Out of the 7 I've tested none had belt issues, although belt issues seem semi-common on here.

One of the two I haven't tested I don't hold hope for, it has a pretty wicked crack in it's case.

1 1050 and 1 810 fail to load disks, the other 1050 won't power on, and the other 810 turns on but doesn't seem to do anything.

The two that fail to load disks, might just need a head cleaning with 100% isopropyl alcohol.

The 810 that doesn't seem to do anything, might just need the daughter board on the sideboard to be reseated. Mine do this if bumped too often...

The 1050 that won't power on could either be bad caps or bad regulators.

The first two, you can try first before sending them off...

• Like 1