IGNORED

Wilmunder's Star Raiders II released

Savetz

Amazing! I wonder if phaeron's 3-D optimizations could be applied to this? How much might the frame rate improve?

Probably so, but not with as much effect. Star Raiders II does full screen clears instead of erase-draw, and that alone takes 21K cycles per frame, a quarter of the frame time. It also runs a DLI on every mode line on the active display (19K cycles / 22%). To put this in perspective, there are already only 24K CPU cycles per NTSC frame after taking out the main mode D display, so these two items alone already force the game to 30 fps. The profiler is showing Star Raiders II running a 47K CPU cycle frame at 15 fps when cruising, whereas Star Raiders runs a 19K CPU cycle frame at 60 fps.

• Like 4

This is probably my favorite proto find of all time. Unreal. I have wanted a legit sequel to Star Raiders since I was 8. And suddenly, with no warning, here it is, near complete, and it has freaking 3d planet sequences.

Seems like the programmer may release the source code as well.

And a week from the Star Wars movie no less. Merry Xmas to me!

• Like 3

As I've said on these forums several times now, the original Star Raiders is my all-time favorite video game, so you can imagine how excited I am to see this! It's pretty good, too, even if it's incomplete. The planet surface battle is HARD! It's going to take me some time to master it. And I'm not sure I like the moving cross-hairs in the forward view. Seems to make it more difficult than the original. But I do like the lasers instead of the "fire balls" or whatever they were called. And the new flying behavior of the Zylon ships is fun, too. Definitely going to have to spend some time with this game...

• Like 1

This really is amazing to see. My very first experience with an Atari 800 was seeing Star Raiders, probably when I was 8 or 9 years old. I knew instantly that I had to have that machine, and a few years later I would save up enough money to buy an 800XL, 1050 drive and 1030 modem (from Toys 'R' Us back when they had them in the glass display cases!) And, yes, I played the hell out of Star Raiders. It's fantastic that the true sequel to Star Raiders has finally been revealed and released for all to enjoy.

A huge thanks to Kevin and Aric for making this possible!

..Al

• Like 9

I played this a bit last night on my original 800, I finally found my Wico joystick. I figured what better way to put the old Wico back into service than with Star Raiders II.

It was a ton of fun, but as mentioned above, the planet sequence seemed near impossible, even in Novice mode. Perhaps more practice is needed, but it could also be some of that needed final polishing that the developer alluded to.

The only thing, I'd really want for is an inverted Y-axis -- my brain is just programmed that way for space sims after spending countless hours playing Xwing in the 90's.

--Jason

Edit:

Now that I think about it, I have an over-abundance of CX-40 joysticks -- I should just hack one to invert the Y and keep it as my "flight stick". That should be fairly straight forward hack, no?

Edited by Mechanicjay
  • Like 5

The only thing, I'd really want for is an inverted Y-axis -- my brain is just programmed that way for space sims after spending countless hours playing Xwing in the 90's.

--Jason

Haven't played it yet. Do you push forward to dive?

Looks promising, but also appears to be a ways from being smooth and polished (at least judging from the video). But at the same time has some interesting features. One of my very favorite games for the 2600 was that "Stellar Track" -- "Star Trek"-type game. Practice, skill, and some luck were required to get a decent score.

-Larry

Pull to climb is the way the original Star Raiders works. So yeah, in my opinion they screwed that up, but no big deal to change.

When I play modern first person shooters, I have to inverse the mouse so it's push the mouse forward to look down. Pretty sure it was, Star Raiders, Starmaster, and Phaser Patrol that wired my brain like that.

• Like 1