IGNORED

Wilmunder's Star Raiders II released

Savetz

@TempestI've played the game through to it's conclusion, defeating the Zylons if that is what you mean. I believe the game is complete in that sense, it's just that better A.I. and other fine-tuning, de-bugging, etc., needed to be completed, I think.

Edited by Gunstar

1 hour ago, luckybuck said:

@Tempest: SRII is not an easy one! Seperates the boys from the men...

@Gunstar: '...I believe...' therefore, did you finish the game or not? A screenshot of the ending would be cool. ?

Well, I'd have to play again and win again to get that screenshot. It's been a while but I think it just ended like the original, basically text in front of a star field saying the same thing the original does, with your rank, etc.

Actually, IIRC, I was planet-side when I finished off the Zylon ground bases and it did the text on top of the planet side background, now that I think on it...

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
32 minutes ago, Tempest said:

What ever happened with the hard drive?

Oooohh... would love to know too.

This game was really cool.  (And I swear I played a pirated leak of this back in the day... or saw it?)

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Savetz said:

Is this directed to me? If so, what hard drive? (Remind me please.)

There was a hard drive with the source code on it I believe.  I'm not sure who has it now.  Was it RedEye?  I think it wasn't working and someone was going to try and fix it.

• 2 months later...
On 12/11/2015 at 12:06 AM, Stephen said:

Fun game - very playable even in current state. It would be great to see this finished!

One minor quibble. The damage screen doesn't show in GTIA mode on a PAL machine.

What sort of file on what sort of hardware do you use to actually test-play this unreleased (almost complete??) game…?

I see links to pdfs and videos, but are there links to dumps of game-files, which can run either using emulation or on actual carts (if anyone bothered to make one for a dumped game)?

27 minutes ago, Giles N said:

What sort of file on what sort of hardware do you use to actually test-play this unreleased (almost complete??) game…?

I see links to pdfs and videos, but are there links to dumps of game-files, which can run either using emulation or on actual carts (if anyone bothered to make one for a dumped game)?

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/246591-wilmunders-star-raiders-ii-released/#comment-3388309

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Giles N said:

… and can it only be run on an Atari 8-bit home-computer, or any Atari-8-bit-family thing?

If I test through emulation, is which Atari-system (emulated) should I run it through…?

The Atari 8-bit computer family more or less uses the same basic chipset but with different ram/memory and other subtle, (and not so subtle hardware differences). (The 400 and early 800s sometimes have a slightly different GTIA graphics chip, but this is a 1979 game so no worries running it).

So the 400/800/800XL/600XL/1200XL/65XE/130XE/800XE/XEGS are all members of the Atari 8-bit family home computers and will all run the game. The XEGS games console is effectively an Atari XE home computer so it'll run it also.

The game won't run on the other Atari games consoles (2600/5200/7800) though.

So in emulation download and install the Altirra Atari 8-bit emulator: https://www.virtualdub.org/altirra.html

Then once all set up, associate ATR files with Altirra in Windows and then run the ATR (it's a virtual Atari disk image basically). 

If you need to brush up on terminology see the newbies section here on AA: 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

The XEGS games console is effectively an Atari XE home computer so it'll run it also.

The game won't run on the other Atari games consoles (2600/5200/

My project is to

see if it will run on an Atari 5200 with an AtariMax Ultimate (which, I believe it is said, allows for many other Atari-8 bit titles which cannot be just straightwardly ported to carts, to be run. I’m a bit ‘newbie’ on everything 8-bit-family, and as to the Windows world, and as to .filetypes; I’m dusting of PCs again, as ios-smart-devices have been my opertional digital world for years).

I’m curious just how much more the 5200 can do using the extras of thr AtariMax Ultimate.

But I’ll probably play SR2 unreleased on emulator too, just be ‘updated’ on the gaming-history here.

28 minutes ago, Giles N said:

My project is to

see if it will run on an Atari 5200 with an AtariMax Ultimate (which, I believe it is said, allows for many other Atari-8 bit titles which cannot be just straightwardly ported to carts, to be run. I’m a bit ‘newbie’ on everything 8-bit-family, and as to the Windows world, and as to .filetypes; I’m dusting of PCs again, as ios-smart-devices have been my opertional digital world for years).

I’m curious just how much more the 5200 can do using the extras of thr AtariMax Ultimate.

But I’ll probably play SR2 unreleased on emulator too, just be ‘updated’ on the gaming-history here.

Sure. I've no idea about the 5200 and Atarimax ultimate. Let us know how it goes. I know the 5200 has many shared hardware similarities but didn't realise without having a game ported to 5200 it could work.

So you already own both an Atarimax Ultimate and a 5200 presumably?

As I say all the info is out there for familiarising yourself with the Atari 8-bit retro computer systems and also the modern hardware and upgrades available these days. It's been discussed and outlined 100s of times. :)

Check out the newbies pinned topic I linked to above. :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Let us know how it goes. I know the 5200 has many shared hardware similarities but didn't realise without having a game ported to 5200 it could work.

So you already own both an Atarimax Ultimate and a 5200 presumably?

…I’ve been around AA for a few years now, and have a 5200 and gotten the AtariMax Ultimate very recently.

It is precisely the question of whether a deliberate port is necessary that’s interesting.

The AtariMax Ultimate have additional hardware built-in, I think I’ve seen a YouTube video with one saying that 8-bit family games which previously wouldn’t run due to memory-issues, now could be used. But I was only briefly watching for overview and the video didn’t go into details.

I may be wrong here… time will show.

Edited by Giles N

2 hours ago, Giles N said:

…I’ve been around AA for a few years now, and have a 5200 and gotten the AtariMax Ultimate very recently.

It is precisely the question of whether a deliberate port is necessary that’s interesting.

The AtariMax Ultimate have additional hardware built-in, I think I’ve seen a YouTube video with one saying that 8-bit family games which previously wouldn’t run due to memory-issues, now could be used. But I was only briefly watching for overview and the video didn’t go into details.

I may be wrong here… time will show.

hmmmmmm, no mention on the Atarimax Ultimate product page that this 5200 cart will run software coded for the Atari 8-bit home computers. 

https://www.atarimax.com/5200sd/documentation/