IGNORED

Best 'worst' Jaguar game?

LianneJaguar64

For every crap game on the Jaguar, there is at least one person who claims its the "best game ever"

My guilty pleasure is Supercross 3d. I think it's fun and playable, though I realize it is technically a "bad" game.

The game that i'd say I think is good (or at least enjoyable,) that everyone else says is "bad" is Blue Lightning on the Jag CD. I think it's more fun than Afterburner in some ways..

• Like 1

So far I'm 36 games (carts) into my Jaguar collection and the game that I found myself not minding was Cybermorph so long as I slowed the ship down.

The game that took me by surprise the most has been NBA Jam; I figured it'd be nothing new as I had played it several times on other systems. Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls is a bad game on all consoles but man is the Jaguar port horrendous.

I've been trying to get into Attack of the Mutant Penguins as of late, same with Bubsy. (My main issue with Bubsy is the damn difficulty)

Edited by Merendino

I can understand liking Club Drive ; it's definitely bad, but in a funny way, and the concept behind the very flawed execution is decent.

I can even understand liking Bubsy if you've got the nerves of a Zen monk (to bear the slippery controls and cheap deaths everywhere) and don't care much about graphics.

But this is the second time in a short time that I see people calling Supercross 3D "fun" and "playable". I really, really don't get it. I can't find anything good to say about it. I wonder if those who like it have never played a proper racing game, or if they have ultra-rare carts with a version of the game that's not the same everyone else got.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed Hoverstrike in the 90s and played through. Haven't played it in a while so I am not sure how it holds up. I played through Highlander as well. I wouldn't claim it a good game but I do have fun working through it. If only they made the fighting halfway enjoyable. I also liked Club Drive, especially two players. Listen to Shinto's podcast of the game and you really can tell how fun two player games can be, especially with younger gamers.

Edited by stirrell

But this is the second time in a short time that I see people calling Supercross 3D "fun" and "playable". I really, really don't get it. I can't find anything good to say about it.

I can enjoy the few first tracks before it gets to hard, then the hardness together with the over all mess gets too much for me.

Think I'd like to pick up Club drive since people like parts of it, and I have a little weak spot for cheesy games so maybe a suitable game for me =)

It's a bit expensive at the moment though.

Yeah a couple of years ago on ebay you could get lots of games 6 at a time for around 30 or 40 dollars, so getting a club Drive, Dragon, DD5, Checkerd Flag didn't hurt as much.

for me my favorite Jaguar Game that is in the middle of the packwas Theme Park, played more hours of this game then any other game, has several issues, such as no game save, all you can do is sell your park and reuse the money, the PS1 version lets you save.

But the Jag one has crazy logic flaws, where you can...do lots of cool things like adict your patrons into shooting games, buy changing the likelyhood of winning to 90percent for a 10 dollar toy, charge 12 for the game then work the price up as the patrons become more addicted, lots of stuff you can do, fun game, best sim game.

Flip Out is probably my favorite of the low end games, it has weird issues like the aliens standing on tiles that need moved but it is fun despite its weird flaws

Yeah, I'm with Club Drive as well. Tag is legit fun and the rest of the game is at least 'okay' to me, despite its horrendous reputation. I'm not delusional, Stunts is a much better game of the same ilk, but I also think that Club Drive's worst crime is being average.

Many of the first generation Jaguar exclusives are infamous because that's when so much energy was pumped into hyping the console. Kasumi Ninja gets burned a lot even though it's better than Double Dragon V. Club Drive will make a 'worst of list' even though it is a better game than Supercross 3D.

On the Jag CD, I'll also add Highlander as a game I enjoy. I never found the combat aspect difficult to control. I think the only disappointment for me on the game was the cartoon tie in (rather than the television show or, even better, the film).

For every crap game on the Jaguar, there is at least one person who claims its the "best game ever"

My guilty pleasure is Supercross 3d. I think it's fun and playable, though I realize it is technically a "bad" game.

The game that i'd say I think is good (or at least enjoyable,) that everyone else says is "bad" is Blue Lightning on the Jag CD. I think it's more fun than Afterburner in some ways..

You and I are the rarity my friend. I was such a fan of any dirt bike game that I forced myself to play Supercross 3d back in the day.

It amazes me to this day that most don't know the simple mechanic of holding down on the d pad on ALL straightaways, especially over jumps to carry your bike, otherwise it simply rolls over the jumps.

Don't get me wrong, the game is a dud, however I can race every single track without crashing Once in season mode. I get a weird enjoyment for being able to do that easily while most people can't complete 2 races without crashing lol. (Again you'd be suprised how many people simply don't hold down while accelerating on the straights and during jumps) :/

Edited by JaguarBrett
  • Like 3

Alright we already know Bubsy on the Jaguar is my favorite "guilty pleasure". Just glad I mastered that game before I found out on the internet that it was a hard game. :D

So I will touch on the other games mentioned here.

Attack of the Mutant Penguins - Great game. Do not consider this bad at all. Play for a bit and you'll see.

Blue lightning - I always considered this 3D Zaxxon more than a jet game in how it handled. Love the music.

Cybermorph - Hated this game with a passion at first. After a while became of my top 5. Play it listening to Def Leopard.

Double Dragon 5 - The saddest thing about this game was it was not the version where you walk along beating people up. So disappointed.

Dragon - An admirable effort. The only game that made me rip it out of the jag (with it on) and throw he cart across the room. And I'm a Bubsy master. :D

Flip Out - Love this game. With the aliens It is like trying to get anything done with cats around.

Highlander - Beautiful game. The changing camera angles get frustrating. Reason why I don't like Zero5.

Hoverstrike - Not a bad game, just not a good game with the low frame rate. Better on the CD version.

Supercross 3D - Good for a few laughs and a cartridge shell for dev projects.

Theme Park - Not a bad strategy game. Friend's kid liked it. Never could get into it myself.

Trevor McFur - This is a beautiful game that in the end turns into laborious button mashing. I tried to like this game. Hmmm... haven't tried rapid fire..

Zoop - America's Favorite waste of time! :D A simple and fun game.

Now these games you HAVE to play with a friend and it just makes it 5 times better!

Club Drive - Nothing like racing around in a toy car in a apartment against your friends. Good stuff.

Kasumi Ninja - Man we saw the fireball come out from underneath the kilt we died laughing. It really was a fun fighter game. It could be a fun to play, or just as a spoof of fighter games (like turning up the blood to ridiculous levels). And I love the commercial for this game. :D I think Atari did good on this one all around.

Oh wow, someone did a spoof story on Kasumi Ninja! Part 1 Part 2 End No Jaguar game photage though. :/

And I liked this quote:

"Many of the first generation Jaguar exclusives are infamous because that's when so much energy was pumped into hyping the console."

This is so true. On the Jaguar there were a lot of good games but because they were not "64-bit" they were down played. Raiden on the Jaguar is one of my top 5 games. It looks like the arcade (pretty close), plays great, aged well, and that is because the game did not over stretch itself trying to be some graphical 3D master piece (that is what I see of Zero5 as well). It was a shooter and nothing more, and excelled at being just that. But due to the hype most thought this was a waste of a title. Far from it, it became one of those top five that gave me a reason to continue to power on the Jaguar.

As for the hype and marketing, I've seen other in your face commercials from Sega and Nintendo as well. The Atari commercials were just a product of the times. But anyway, I'll conclude with a guilty pleasure not mentioned yet: Val d'Isere Skiing. :D

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

I've only just begun to explore the Jaguar's library, but I enjoyed Hover Strike enough to play through all three difficulties. It's incredibly aggravating at times, but there's a core of good gameplay there.

I haven't played Supercross 3D yet, but sounds like it has more than a slight resemblance to Motocross Championship for 32X, which is one of the very few racing games I've ever played through completely. People complain that one's unplayable, but I found it perfectly enjoyable once I adapted to a couple minor quirks, and it's a rare (and welcome) example of a racer that has zero rubberbanding.

I did not even know anyone besides the AVGN and the VGC considered Attack of the Mutant Penguins to be among the worst games for the system - sure the controls could be a little more precise, but this is a very fun Lemmings style game IMHO (you can see me playing it on the 2015 eJagFest briefly about three and a half minutes into this video - yes, that evil laugh was mine).

Evolution: Dino Dudes is also pretty decent (it's also on the Lynx as "Dinolympics" and on many, many other platforms - known as "The Humans" on most of the latter), and apparently only the VGC thinks this is one of the worst titles (I am pretty sure he also hates "Lost Vikings")

While I consider Bubsy to be hard as nails, I can get a little further whenever I play it.

• Like 1

I did not even know anyone besides the AVGN and the VGC considered Attack of the Mutant Penguins to be among the worst games for the system - sure the controls could be a little more precise, but this is a very fun Lemmings style game IMHO (you can see me playing it on the 2015 eJagFest briefly about three and a half minutes into this video - yes, that evil laugh was mine).

Evolution: Dino Dudes is also pretty decent (it's also on the Lynx as "Dinolympics" and on many, many other platforms - known as "The Humans" on most of the latter), and apparently only the VGC thinks this is one of the worst titles (I am pretty sure he also hates "Lost Vikings")

While I consider Bubsy to be hard as nails, I can get a little further whenever I play it.

I really enjoy Bubsy as well, but I may have to try Attack of the Mutant Penguins and Dino Dudes now you've mentioned them... They were early titles, after all :)

• Like 1

I've only just begun to explore the Jaguar's library, but I enjoyed Hover Strike enough to play through all three difficulties. It's incredibly aggravating at times, but there's a core of good gameplay there.

I haven't played Supercross 3D yet, but sounds like it has more than a slight resemblance to Motocross Championship for 32X, which is one of the very few racing games I've ever played through completely. People complain that one's unplayable, but I found it perfectly enjoyable once I adapted to a couple minor quirks, and it's a rare (and welcome) example of a racer that has zero rubberbanding.

the game looks good in still shots the problem is that it has invisible barriors so if you go off track then your player crashes, if you can stay on track then you have to deal with a good looking game that runs at 13 frames per minute so very choppy.

Hmm.. I'd have to go with Club Drive. Some modes are awful, but others are a lot of fun. There's also nothing quite like a big-ass, blocky cat floating along the ground. It's so bad, it's good.

Get me in the right mood and I'd probably add Zool 2 to that list. Great looking (and sounding) game, but that level design near the end.. ugh. I have a broken cart to speak for the horrendous design and hit detection.

Attack of the Mutant Penguins is by no means a bad game. It's definitely not for everyone, but bad? Certainly not. It has a lot of personality and the gameplay system is cool when you understand how to play it.

• Like 1