IGNORED

New video upgrade coming soon!

Bryan

For now, you don't need to commit to which type you want and you can make changes up until the end of the month. I'll be posting more installation details and you can decide which will work best. I just need a rough estimate so I have enough on hand and for budgeting time to build them.

For this first month, you may also order a custom configuration (any combination of the socket pins, configuration header, and green terminal). In the future, the store will only have the 2 types shown in the picture. If you order socket pins without the configuration header, you'll need to let me know what machine it's for so I can hard-wire it. The custom boards will be $20.

I'll wait for your installation details, then. It would be nice to have one of these for each of my machine types that can take it, but the 2-port 5200 is the only one I have with no video mod at all.

Here's the jumper configuration chart and all the 4050 pinouts I know of:

P14	SY

L3	P3

P5	L0

SY	P7

P11	L2

L1	P7

P9	L3

P9	L2

L0	P5

X invC X

2600 (both original and jr. - many revisions don't have 4050 chips)
L1 P3
L2 P11
L3 P14
SY P5

L0 P3
L1 P7
L2 P11
L3 P9
SY P5

L0 P3
L1 P11
L2 P9
L3 P7
SY P5

L0 P5
L1 P9
L2 P14
L3 P11
SY P7

1200XL/1400XL
L0 P3
L1 P9
L2 P7
L3 P5
SY P11

600XL
L0 P9
L1 P7
L2 P11
L3 P5
SY P14

800XL
L0 P7
L1 P11
L2 P5
L3 P3
SY P14

130XE/XEGS
L0 P7
L1 P11
L2 P5
L3 P3
SY P14 

P=pin, L=Lum, SY=sync.

InvC is the 'invert color' jumper. It will swap the artifact colors by putting the color carrier 180 degrees out of phase.

This is not a guarantee that socket installation is possible in all these machines. For example, I believe it will be obstructed in the 800 and will require the basic board unless you use some kind of socket extension.

post-3606-0-72086000-1452273165_thumb.jpg

I'm not familiar with the configuration header. How does one use one of those? What's the advantage of a custom board?

I added a picture to the post above yours. You put jumpers on to set the configurationn (since Atari wired up the 4050 chip differently on different machines).

The custom board is anything between the basic board and the full plug-in board. For example, you could omit the green terminal strip only. Since you're paying for the full plug-in board, I'll include the parts if you want them.

I added a picture to the post above yours. You put jumpers on to set the configuration.

The custom board is anything between the basic board and the full plug-in board. For example, you could omit the green terminal strip only. Since you're paying for the full board, I'll include the parts if you want them.

Ah, OK. That's easy. Thanks!

So if I understand this right, a full kit should be fine for any Atari but the 400, 800, 2600, and 7800. In those cases, it would be best to buy a custom board that is configured to fit best in those machines?

The main issue is whether there's a 4050 on the board, and whether the board will go there unobstructed. If not, you're going to have to solder more wires and stick the board somewhere else. This is what the basic option is for. The custom option would be for something like adding the screw terminal to the basic board for easier connection of the video cables or eliminating the terminal from the plug-in board to reduce the height or to install a different type of connector.

I'll be adding more pictures/instructions soon.

• Like 1

This green terminator could be exchanged with goldpins (even angle)?

Connector to these pins wolud be more elegant and faster to connect/disconnect and ofcourse smaller height.

I thought that these jumpers are for chroma and luma setting (i read it that way) but as I understand now they are for setting configuration for computer model? If yes these could be not soldered for me - I have only one 65XE.

Time for some 2600 testing.

This is a 4 switch with the simplified video circuit (no 4050) so I used a basic board. At first I couldn't get a good usable color signal, then I lifted the 47pF cap that connects chroma to the outgoing signal and now everything looks like it should. The real picture has better color than I was able to photograph (and just ignore the dude in the reflection).

post-3606-0-64982900-1452287377_thumb.jpg

post-3606-0-47640000-1452287386_thumb.jpg

post-3606-0-05856200-1452287397_thumb.jpg

post-3606-0-16975400-1452287406_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This green terminator could be exchanged with goldpins (even angle)?

Connector to these pins wolud be more elegant and faster to connect/disconnect and ofcourse smaller height.

I thought that these jumpers are for chroma and luma setting (i read it that way) but as I understand now they are for setting configuration for computer model? If yes these could be not soldered for me - I have only one 65XE.

Hi, the terminal uses 0.1 in. (2.54mm) spacing, so there are a lot of connectors you can use. So you just want the socket pins, and a board permanently configured for an XE?

Hmm - I wonder if this can be used in an Atari Video Music?

Ummm... wow... possibly.

There are 3 pins that make up video out of the C010280. Pin 25 appears to be sync, Pin 20 might be color, and pin 2 is probably 1 bit luminance. As long as everything separate and binary (no internal resistor ladders), then it could be done. Neat idea.

• Like 3

Ummm... wow... possibly.

There are 3 pins that make up video out of the C010280. Pin 25 appears to be sync, Pin 20 might be color, and pin 2 is probably 1 bit luminance. As long as everything separate and binary (no internal resistor ladders), then it could be done. Neat idea.

I would love to see the output crisp on my Sony PVM! I haven't got to see my AVM on a real CRT yet - the only CRT I have with a tuner is a very worn out Toshiba pure flat 30" widescreen. The AVM looks like shit on my LCD TV. It won't tune properly, and the LCD is just terrible.

Does this Video upgrade work with the 5200 when using the 2600 Adapter getting video from the 2600 Adapter?

The 2600 adapter generates its own video and it's mixed together in the RF section of the 5200. So, you won't see 2600 games through the UAV board which pulls signals directly from the 5200's GTIA.

The best option would be to route both UAV's composite and video from the adapter to the composite jack with a switch. Does anyone know of a schematic for the adapter?

I haven't been around the 8-bit section much lately but wow! This looks great. How much are we talking about? I have about 15 suitable machines - I need to know how many I might be able to afford, lol!

EDITED TO ADD: Wow, $20 ea? I'll probably go with two complete kits, one for a 4-switch Woody 2600 and one for an 800XL, both NTSC. I think that will have to be about it at this point, much as I want all of the toys! :)

Edited by DrVenkman