IGNORED

New video upgrade coming soon!

Bryan

I got the boards from Albert and I'm able to verify the 7800 connections. If you've got a NTSC Rev A, just follow the picture. Works great in both 2600 and 7800 modes and you don't have to cut or remove anything. RF output will still work too.

The Atari 400 sound boards should be here this week and after a little testing, they'll be made available.

Bryan will you be making an announcement when the UAV is available again either from you or the AA Store? I would like to purchase a few more now that I see such great results from the one do I have, which BTW works absolutely flawless in my XEGS :thumbsup:

- Michael

Yep. Now that I have these test boards, I'm hoping to get the first batch out in June.

Yippie :rolling: that is great news!

BTW, the same board that I had installed on my 1200XL that had ever so slight vertical banding, works absolutely perfect on my XEGS. I need to figure out how to properly take a picture of the screen that looks like what my eyes see for posting here. The interesting thing is that both installations were very similar, using individual coax cables to an S-Video connector, and both deriving power and GND from the 4050 socket. Not sure why one case (XEGS) is perfect, and the 1200XL has minor banding :?. Well for the time being it really doesn't matter, since the XEGS wil become my main machine for now (I put all the upgrade goodies in it).

Bryan you really did a great thing with the development of this board :thumbsup:

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

Thanks!!

Yeah, the slight banding is definitely not consistent. I'm going to tackle finding the cause this coming week, then order the new boards.

-Bry

I see that same banding on my 800XL, whether powererd/grounded through the 4050 socket or separately (and grounded straight to the video jack). My earlier offer to buy/test a second board to help test still stands. :)

Yeah, the strange thing about it is I can power the UAV from a completely different power source and it doesn't affect anything so the last remnant of it is coming from somewhere else. It also means the onboard regulator is doing its job of giving you power as clean as a separate source.

Yeah, the strange thing about it is I can power the UAV from a completely different power source and it doesn't affect anything so the last remnant of it is coming from somewhere else. It also means the onboard regulator is doing its job of giving you power as clean as a separate source.

I totally agree on the onboard power being OK. My XEGS results are kind of proof of that being the case. Of course even with independent power, you still have a commonality in the ground system, although in my 1200XL changing ground points made little if no difference so I think that might be non-issue as well. Also of interest is that on the 1200 install the banding was seen with or without the color signal being used. So that seems to indicate that the source is the signal coming out of GTIA on certain machines, This could mean that the power provided to GTIA is the issue (non-clean, digital switching noise from other clocked circuits mixed in, or at a different potential voltage level). Perhaps powering GTIA from a better source or point of pick-up might do the trick, or even where it gets its GND if the noise is traveling to it through that, which wouldn't surprise me in the least. Although if the noise is being introduced through the +5 power connection to GTIA, perhaps getting the power from your UAV board might do the trick, assuming it could handle the load.

- Michael

So far, the thing that works best is inline resistors (~390‎Ω) on the signals. This is good because they're easy to add to a Basic board install. This is bad because I didn't really want to add a bunch of new parts to the board.

On the 5200, I've completely removed the noise from the Luminance. It can be slightly seen once color is hooked up due to some weird jitter present in the original color signal during refresh cycles. I believe the 5200 may have a clock fan-out problem that is responsible for this.

So far, the thing that works best is inline resistors (~390‎Ω) on the signals. This is good because they're easy to add to a Basic board install. This is bad because I didn't really want to add a bunch of new parts to the board.

On the 5200, I've completely removed the noise from the Luminance. It can be slightly seen once color is hooked up due to some weird jitter present in the color signal during refresh cycles. I believe the 5200 may have a clock fan-out problem that is responsible for this.

That is unfortunate that the resistors might need to be added. But if that's what it takes to make it work on problem machines, I think it's a small price to pay. Perhaps Atari did something right on the XEGS design, because even its stock composite video looked fairly decent. However the UAV composite output is even better.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

Rev D is coming along and will include the interface resistors. Routing this tiny board is a PITA!! I'm going to have the board house populate one side of the board for me, so hopefully these go quicker than the Rev C's.

I'm tentatively making two big changes with Rev D. The first one is that the pot will now be a more useful Chroma level pot. This will allow you to tune the output for a particular TV or monitor since some of them do a poor job of filtering the color dots out of the picture. The artifacting adjustment will now be a single jumper allowing for a choice of Red/Blue or Purple/Green. This will replace the color inversion jumper.

There will now also be a dedicated pad for 7800 TIA color input.

• Like 5

I got the new board layout finished and then I came up with a way to give it more adjustment range on the artifacting, so I started over and now I'm about 70% done. The problem is I'm not comfortable putting a big design change like this into production untested. So, I'm probably going to order a small batch in the next week which I'll be testing in June and then I'll be able to order more. Unfortunately, this means I cannot line up production with my trip to the US and it can be costly to ship product to and from Costa Rica. I'll let everyone know what the delivery schedule for Rev D will be. I may just take a quick trip up to Albert's area and finish the production batch there. It won't cost much more than trying to ship the boxes back and forth.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the current changes. To do anything better would require something a lot bigger and more complex.

• Like 6

Hi Bryan,

Whenever you get this done, I want 5 of them for sure. The UAV works soooo good, and are such an easy way to trick out the video without changing out a dozen or more parts like some of the previous video mods.

- Michael

Does it mean that we (suckers that got Rev C board) got screwed? Can we at least get instructions on how to mod Rev C board to Rev D?

I got one of the first run boards, and I love it :D I don't feel screwed at all. Besides any new product will go through some refinement over time, look at cars for instance. Ever bought a car, and then wished you had waited until the following year because of all the cool changes? This is life, and it constantly changes.

- Michael

I always get in trouble with my verbiage (just trying to be concise, English is my second language), no offense intended, sorry if it's not appropriate. My machine has some faint lines on half of the screen and it'd be nice if I could get rid of it by modifying the old board without the need to get a whole new board that is only marginally different.

• Like 1

I always get in trouble with my verbiage (just trying to be concise, English is my second language), no offense intended, sorry if it's not appropriate. My machine has some faint lines on half of the screen and it'd be nice if I could get rid of it by modifying the old board without the need to get a whole new board that is only marginally different.

Bryan's posts leading up to the announcement of a new revision indicated that he solved the problems some of us are seeing with faint lines by the use of resistors on the ANTIC signals. Perhaps he'll expand on that a bit and let us know the values of the resistors he used, and on which signals. We might be able to add similar resistors to our own installations as well.

For my test, I installed 390 ohm resistors, but they affect timing somewhat so I think I'm backing down to something like 220. They were installed on all LUMs, SYNC, and Color. They could be put where the jumpers would normally go.

Bryan is the man! One of the Rev D posts mentions a pot change, is that change possible on Rev C board, would it make a difference?

None of the other changes would apply to the Rev C board and in most cases I don't think you'd see a difference.

I'm not going to implement the variable chroma scheme since I found a way to give the artifacting adjustment more range.

• Like 1

I'll take at least 2 if available. Or is this just a short run?

- Michael

Be interested in same configuration as before that was ready to plug into 4050 socket with terminal block connections.

Edited by mytekcontrols

First I'll get a few and test them out, then I'll order the large (and mostly pre-assembled) batch for the store. Once I've tested the boards, I'll start a topic with all the condensed install info from this thread.

• Like 4