IGNORED

New video upgrade coming soon!

Bryan

Okay, I'll be the first doofus to ask for help. I can't seem to get any color out of them. I get a stunningly clear black and white picture that's completely free of lines, but no color.

I'm trying this on two systems (I got two boards): an 800XL and a 1200XL. The CD4050 chip is removed and the UAV board plugged into the socket. I set the jumpers as per http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/?p=3431922 for each model. I'm wiring an s-video cable directly into the UAV board (chroma, luma and ground). I've tested the s-video cables so I know they're good, and I get beautiful luma. I've tried connecting the chroma to the other connectors, but nothing changes.

Any further information I can provide? Any ideas?

Okay, I'll be the first doofus to ask for help. I can't seem to get any color out of them. I get a stunningly clear black and white picture that's completely free of lines, but no color.

I'm trying this on two systems (I got two boards): an 800XL and a 1200XL. The CD4050 chip is removed and the UAV board plugged into the socket. I set the jumpers as per http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/?p=3431922 for each model. I'm wiring an s-video cable directly into the UAV board (chroma, luma and ground). I've tested the s-video cables so I know they're good, and I get beautiful luma. I've tried connecting the chroma to the other connectors, but nothing changes.

Any further information I can provide? Any ideas?

Did you run the wire from the 1st terminal on the left to GTIA pin 21 (don't lift the pin, because it needs the 1K pull-up on the board)? It's the one bit of soldering that can't be avoided.

It's the yellow wire in this 5200 install:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/?p=3412378

Oh, you mean I have to follow all the directions?

Hooking up the Color In (should have been a hint right there) to GTIA pin 21 did the trick! It's really pretty. Thanks so much!

-Joe

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Well, to be fair the directions are a scattered mess at the moment. :)

Package received, Bry - many thanks. Is there a compact how-to manual located somewhere or are all informations about installing hidden here in the thread?

Start around page 12 of the thread. I've placed a test unit in several machines so feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

• Like 1

Monday I'll be shipping out new orders and sending the rest of the emails.

Had a real live-and-learn scare today. I finished building a new batch of boards with my new solder and started testing them. Only a few of them worked and I began to panic. Turns out some water-soluable fluxes are conductive and I didn't wash the boards prior to testing them (I've been doing it afterwards). So, I've cleaned them and they're much better. Water soluable flux is awesome for production work because it's so easy to get the boards sparking clean, but it's corrosive (and apparently also conductive) and cannot be left on like rosins.

• Like 3

I've sent all emails, and will be wrapping up shipping today and tomorrow and then I head back to Costa Rica for a while. I will start building the next batch for the AA Store at that point. Thanks to everyone who ordered (or inquired about ordering) and thank you for all the kind wishes in your PM's. It really is a great community here!

I'll continue to use this thread to respond to questions and please post pics and comments to help others with installation issues. I will also start working on a proper manual!

• Like 2

I've sent all emails, and will be wrapping up shipping today and tomorrow and then I head back to Costa Rica for a while. I will start building the next batch for the AA Store at that point. Thanks to everyone who ordered (or inquired about ordering) and thank you for all the kind wishes in your PM's. It really is a great community here!

I'll continue to use this thread to respond to questions and please post pics and comments to help others with installation issues. I will also start working on a proper manual!

Hi Bryan,

Have not seen a message. Did I have to order through PM? I posted my order here in the thread.

I hope it is still possible to order.

Thanks

Marius

In the future - obviously not before you feel you have gotten your development time and effort fully rewarded - is there a possibility you would make these open-source Bryan? I am just asking from the perspective of someone who enjoys putting things together and am trying to brush up my SMT soldering skills. This little board might be just the ticket to do that!

In the future - obviously not before you feel you have gotten your development time and effort fully rewarded - is there a possibility you would make these open-source Bryan? I am just asking from the perspective of someone who enjoys putting things together and am trying to brush up my SMT soldering skills. This little board might be just the ticket to do that!

I've had several inquiries about this, and I might consider it in the future. However, I've got some more plans to take care of before I do anything like that.

When I release the final 'store' package with manual, I'll probably go into more detail about it but it's the result of several years of different video hacks and my general study of video standards over the years. I could have just made a board with the voltage regulator and video buffer chip and probably gotten 80% of the results, but I really wanted to improve on GTIA's rather sloppy output in a way that hadn't been done before.

I'm hoping to get some feedback soon on what is working best for everyone out there.