IGNORED

New video upgrade coming soon!

Bryan

I've never really looked at those vestigial 600XL monitor pads. :)

The first problem is that the Luminance pad (5) is shorted to ground (2) on the bottom, so be sure to cut that trace.

It looks like sound is already hooked up on pin 3.

On the top, the pads from L to R are:

1. Luma

4. Comp. Video

2. Gnd

5. Chroma

3. Audio

The only other pad that has a trace is Composite and it looks like it goes to unstuffed (missing) components.

I think you mean GTIA. ;)

Thanks,

The connections that Smokeless Joe shows are good.

But, I need to cut the trace on the bottom of the MB that are connected, no problem.

Then run a wire to GTIA. That is the big IC behind the UAV with label CO14805-22. Pin 21 is the upper, opposite of the small white dot?

See pic do I have it right?

post-15598-0-96709800-1457402543_thumb.jpg

I want to make progress on the 7800 hookup but I can't seem to find anyone with a 7800 and an oscilloscope. It may have to wait until I get back to the US and can pick up a 7800 unless I can have one shipped to someone with a scope.

No complaints here. No hurry.

Your instructions are correct in a 7800 hook up to the bare board. I can post pictures.

(My no color 2600 was that I was going from a previous mod, and needed to put the original parts back. Well not the RF box. That output was really bad.)

S-Video is spectacular for 7800 and 2600 games!

Composite may need improvement, as you said you need a 'scope to see what is happening.

As I said, TIA pin 9 connected degrades the Maria Composite output, as it also did in the Longhorn AV mod - but in Longhorns SVideo. Your SVideo is solid regardless of TIA pin 9 connected or not.

To have 2600 games in color (Composite or SVideo), TIA pin 9 needs connected to your board.

I took 5V from pin 20 of the 6532. I couldn't really see where the trace goes from the 5V regulator, I think it may be one of the two large traces to the right of the RAM, too lazy to check.

Oh man I can't WAIT for these things to become more available. I didn't make the first list, so now it's time to wait.

(In the last 3 months, I got both an Atari 400 and 600XL off Craig's List, mint and super cheap, but I've only got one TV that will handle analog channel 3... and that TV's not in a convenient place!)

(I'm assuming from partial reading of the thread, this isn't open hardware, meaning I cant just download BOM and schematic and go buy the parts myself. And I'm fine with it being closed or open... I just wanna get some Star Raiders going on the GOOD TV... ) :-D

Then run a wire to GTIA. That is the big IC behind the UAV with label CO14805-22. Pin 21 is the upper, opposite of the small white dot?

See pic do I have it right?

The pin numbers run in a U shape, so the dot is 1 and the pins count up to 20, then across from 20 is 21, and across from the dot is 40. So, you're at the wrong end of the chip.

I've installed a plug-in board into my 800XL, and I have some test results to post.

My 800XL has a Rev D logic board only four socketed ICs. I chose to solder the socket included with the UAV atop the existing 4050 chip.

In the end, the UAV does work, but there is still noticeable vertical banding. I saw the earlier post regarding proper grounding, but I have not yet undertaken to make any ground modifications.

Attached are two files:

1. 800XL with simple s-video mod.jpg -- shows how my 800XL's s-video image looked before the mod

2. 800XL with UAV video upgrade.jpg -- shows how my 800XL's s-video image looks with the UAV installed.

It seems that the vertical banding is particularly noticeable on a blue background. Other colors don't present it as much.

post-17813-0-36136500-1457416778_thumb.jpg

post-17813-0-68856900-1457416788_thumb.jpg

Based on your left-to-right assumption, I think you want this:

DIN..........UAV

1..............3 (Luma)

2..............2 (Composite Video)

3..............1 and 5 (Ground)

4..............4 (Chroma)

5..............Nothing (Audio)

You'll also need to run a wire from pin 21 of the POKEY chip to UAV 6 (color in), otherwise you'll only get black and white. I learned that one the hard way.

This is a bit of a puzzle since your left-to-right numbering scheme doesn't match the standard pinout of the 5-pin DIN. But that's what makes this kinda thing fun!

The DIN-5 plug and jack pin numbers are mirrors of each other, so the numbers match when plugging into each other, his numbering scheme would match one of them. That's why parts often have pin numbers molded into them.

I've installed a plug-in board into my 800XL, and I have some test results to post.

My 800XL has a Rev D logic board only four socketed ICs. I chose to solder the socket included with the UAV atop the existing 4050 chip.

In the end, the UAV does work, but there is still noticeable vertical banding. I saw the earlier post regarding proper grounding, but I have not yet undertaken to make any ground modifications.

That's not a grounding issue because what you're seeing isn't computer noise. That's the color carrier not being filtered from the picture (and the advantage of S-Video is it should NEVER be mixed into the picture). This probably means:

1. You're using Composite Video in place of Luma.

2. There's an issue with the monitor.

If you disconnect Chroma and just view Luma, do the bands disappear?

EDIT: You also had dot interference before UAV. What are you using for a monitor? Its S-Video mode appears broken.

That's not a grounding issue because what you're seeing isn't computer noise. That's the color carrier not being filtered from the picture (and the advantage of S-Video is it should NEVER be mixed into the picture). This probably means:

1. You're using Composite Video in place of Luma.

2. There's an issue with the monitor.

If you disconnect Chroma and just view Luma, do the bands disappear?

EDIT: You also had dot interference before UAV. What are you using for a monitor? Its S-Video mode appears broken.

Hi Bryan.

I am using an El Gato USB2 video capture device, so perhaps that has something to do with it. FWIW, both my Xbox 360 and Atari Jaguar don't have the banding when connected via s-video, but I can understand that this might be an apples vs. oranges comparison as it pertains to the 8-bit systems.

Regarding hypothesis #1, "You're using Composite Video in place of Luma", I did ohm out each connection from the DIN's solder pads to the corresponding terminal block connector on the UAV, and everything checked out. I will double check though, as this same thought did occur to me.

I've attached a picture of the luma-only connection.

Thanks for your thoughts.

post-17813-0-29650300-1457451087_thumb.jpg

Edited by mellis

Hi Bryan.

I am using an El Gato USB2 video capture device, so perhaps that has something to do with it. FWIW, both my Xbox 360 and Atari Jaguar don't have the banding when connected via s-video, but I can understand that this might be an apples vs. oranges comparison as it pertains to the 8-bit systems.

Regarding hypothesis #1, "You're using Composite Video in place of Luma", I did ohm out each connection from the DIN's solder pads to the corresponding terminal block connector on the UAV, and everything checked out. I will double check though, as this same thought did occur to me.

I've attached a picture of the luma-only connection.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Someone else contacted me who was seeing the chroma bars when using a vid-cap device. Do you have access to anything else with an S-Video input?

The chroma encoding on modern consoles is more complex and more like a real video signal which makes it harder to see in most situations.

Someone else contacted me who was seeing the chroma bars when using a vid-cap device. Do you have access to anything else with an S-Video input?

Yes, I have a Commodore 1702 monitor (separate chroma/luma) that I can dig out, and I've already made a 5-pin DIN -> Chroma/Luma/Audio RCA cable for that.

Unfortunately, my HD LED TVs all lack an s-video input, so I need to pick up an s-video -> composite adapter in order to see how they process the signal from the UAV. Of course, such an adapter means that I will lose the benefit of s-video's independent chroma/luma connections, but ultimately I was hoping to use this particular 800XL with those TVs anyway.

Ironically, if testing reveals that the capture device is basically just recombining the chroma/luma signals internally, my attempt to troubleshoot using the highest quality connection available (s-video) will have inadvertently sent me on a wild-goose-chase. Oh well, it won't be the first time that's happened. :-D

Unfortunately, my HD LED TVs all lack an s-video input, so I need to pick up an s-video -> composite adapter in order to see how they process the signal from the UAV. Of course, such an adapter means that I will lose the benefit of s-video's independent chroma/luma connections, but ultimately I was hoping to use this particular 800XL with those TVs anyway.

I'm confused. Why would you use an adapter rather than running Composite straight out of the UAV? Just to test the adapters?

Ironically, if testing reveals that the capture device is basically just recombining the chroma/luma signals internally, my attempt to troubleshoot using the highest quality connection available (s-video) will have inadvertently sent me on a wild-goose-chase. Oh well, it won't be the first time that's happened. :-D

I've noticed that some new equipment doesn't get old analog video right because there's no real money in it anyway. As long as the HDMI inputs work, everything else is considered gravy. I have a Samsung 40-inch here that just looks awful with composite games. You don't notice it so much with something like a VCR, though.

I'm confused. Why would you use an adapter rather than running Composite straight out of the UAV? Just to test the adapters?

I currently have two 5-pin DIN cables prepared:

1. 5-pin DIN -> Chroma/Luma/Audio RCA for the Commodore 1702

2. 5-pin DIN -> S-video (mini-DIN) + audio RCA

What I need is a third cable:

3. 5-pin DIN -> Composite/Audio RCA

What I do not have handy is a 5-pin DIN connector, and the only local store that had anything I could hack up was Radio Shack (which is now gone). Sure, I can order some parts from Mouser, but in the meantime, I could easily pop over to just about any department store and grab an s-video -> composite adapter that will allow me to use Cable #2 with the LED TVs.

Nevertheless, before I do that, I will rummage through the parts bin one more time to make sure I don't have the other end of a 5-pin DIN cable already on hand.

I currently have two 5-pin DIN cables prepared:

1. 5-pin DIN -> Chroma/Luma/Audio RCA for the Commodore 1702

2. 5-pin DIN -> S-video (mini-DIN) + audio RCA

What I need is a third cable:

3. 5-pin DIN -> Composite/Audio RCA

What I do not have handy is a 5-pin DIN connector, and the only local store that had anything I could hack up was Radio Shack (which is now gone). Sure, I can order some parts from Mouser, but in the meantime, I could easily pop over to just about any department store and grab an s-video -> composite adapter that will allow me to use Cable #2 with the LED TVs.

Nevertheless, before I do that, I will rummage through the parts bin one more time to make sure I don't have the other end of a 5-pin DIN cable already on hand.

Ah, okay. Those adapters probably won't look as good. They typically use a cap to gradually 'cross-over' to the chroma signal above a certain frequency which causes softening of the picture (because the luma goes from being 100% of the picture at low frequencies to 50% of the picture at the carrier frequency). Anyway, they work in a pinch but I suspect the composite output will look better.

Back to your Luma pic, I wonder if the noise is coming from the UAV board or the capture device now that the chroma carrier is disconnected....

How would you go about installing the plug-in UAV in a PAL 600 XL?

The Atari 600 XL PAL-version comes from the factory with din video-port featuring composite output (contrary to the US-version I believe.)

Can I connect the UAV directly to the video-port pins? On top of the old composite? Or do I need to kill/isolate the old composite signal first?

Pics of my board:

http://imgur.com/a/v2Byu

Regards,

dakidski

The Atari 600 XL PAL-version comes from the factory with din video-port featuring composite output (contrary to the US-version I believe.)

Can I connect the UAV directly to the video-port pins? On top of the old composite? Or do I need to kill/isolate the old composite signal first?

Pics of my board:

Regards,

dakidski

Start with this post:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246613-new-video-upgrade-coming-soon/?p=3461801

Cut the trace that is shorting out the Luma pin under the board. The also cut the Composite trace to pin 4 on top of the board. Solder wires for Composite, Luma, and Chroma to the DIN jack.

You may need to bend some components over to get it into the socket without touching. If the resistors are too close to the board, I'd lift the 'body' side up a little (with a soldering iron) to give them a little more room to bend.

Pics of my board:

Regards,

dakidski

You would definitely need to disconnect the original video signals from the DIN jack, and then replace them with the ones coming out of the UAV. So if I remember correctly, there is no Chroma output on the PAL 600XL. But unfortunately I think that what should be Chroma (pin 5) might possibly be grounded (could be a problem). As to how to disconnect (isolate) the Luma and Composite signals, this I'm not sure of, but you might be able to figure that out from a schematic (LINK).

- Michael

EDIT: Looks like Bryan answered your question already as I was writing this one.

Edited by mytekcontrols

The pin numbers run in a U shape, so the dot is 1 and the pins count up to 20, then across from 20 is 21, and across from the dot is 40. So, you're at the wrong end of the chip.

Thanks. Easy fix.

Do I need to add a wire between 1 and 5 on the UAV?

A few posts up, there is a long post about grounding. Sounds like I should do it. But I have no idea where a good GND is, near the DIN. Can you point one out for me?

I want sound to go out the DIN also, where to connected what I call DIN wire 5, currently not connected to anything in my last pic.

Thanks. Easy fix.

Do I need to add a wire between 1 and 5 on the UAV?

A few posts up, there is a long post about grounding. Sounds like I should do it. But I have no idea where a good GND is, near the DIN. Can you point one out for me?

I want sound to go out the DIN also, where to connected what I call DIN wire 5, currently not connected to anything in my last pic.

The 600XL already has a short path to ground, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's a very smart layout to put the analog section in the power corner like that.

post-3606-0-69569400-1457459554_thumb.jpg

The 600XL already has a short path to ground, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's a very smart layout to put the analog section in the power corner like that.

That is good news. Thanks

So 1 and 5 do not need to be connected,?

Where so connected the sound?

KLund1, were you able to get it working?

Actually, how many people have installed theirs so far?

I was messing with ground/power points in a 5200 install, and managed to fry a UAV and my 5200. Atari labelled the regulator pins wrong and I stupidly fell for it!

Anyhoo... I can confirm that UAV doesn't like 12 volts.

post-3606-0-78253800-1457480216_thumb.jpg