IGNORED

New video upgrade coming soon!

Bryan

How much are you planning on selling the boards for? I might be interested in one.

Video board is a must even if you plan to keep the membrane keyboard, It's fairly unobtrusive and completely reversible.

As for the audio board, I have the parts I just need to test a few more things. I'm thinking around $10 to $12 shipped, maybe less... I will be selling these for exactly what it costs (Parts, Shipping, Paypal fees)

I've already removed my RF modulator when hacking in the cruddy composite out that I have now. Can't wait for next UAV run! Audio easy to tap by pulling the resistor that joins it to the video signal on the way to the modulator and then tapping that point. Not highest possible quality, but does have SIO and POKEY mixed. Been too long and I can't remember the point that I used. Have to find it on schematic later.

Edited by 48kRAM

I'm really looking forward to this audio board. Right now I've got wires running between my 400 and breadboard with the circuit from http://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n1/littlebrother.html(Figure 2). It works, but damn.

I have the physical PCB boards and they are tiny, It will take three wires soldered from the motherboard and one wire for audio out. With the size of the board I determined it would be better to avoid a header so all wires will be soldered direct. The hardest part will be locating it and insulating it from the motherboard.

Things got busy here recently and I am working to get some time to finish this up.

(I'll put a picture up of the PCB later so you can see how small it is)

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but if for some reason you absolutely want to keep the shield on the 130XE, (and probably the 65XE as well, but I didn't check) it seems you can solder the UAV directly into the board, no sockets. But, on this machine, I am also performing other shield-ridding mods, so the shield will have to go anyway...

I have one of the first run boards in my 5200. 5200 output has the vertical lines. I'm glad to see Bryan is still looking to resolve the issue with new rev boards. If you need someone to test new revision on 5200 let me know. I have no issue buying a new revision board either. Thanks for doing these.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update...

After our last trip to the States, my wife and I have decided to move back from Costa Rica so I've been dealing with getting arrangements made and boxing stuff up. The good news is that in a couple months my development schedule will no longer need to be planned around my trips back and forth and I can ship product as needed. We will be moving to Michigan so my wife can spend some time with family and especially her ailing mother.

• Like 8

The initial ones are back in the thread somewhere

The latest that I see in this thread is slx's diagram based on Bryan's idea, which I think is a wonderfully clear diagram:

post-36974-0-64651600-1469373080_thumb.jpg

I've been using a cobbled together version of the one from ANTIC April 1984 and it works pretty well:

post-36974-0-99997800-1469373150_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of having OSH Park make some boards, until someone can make something nicer. Something like these:

post-36974-0-14757400-1469373331_thumb.jpg

post-36974-0-52908200-1469373395_thumb.jpg

The former is certainly more elegant, but I haven't tried it yet. It'd be even nicer with SMT parts, but that's a little beyond my skill right now.

• Like 1

Quick update...

After our last trip to the States, my wife and I have decided to move back from Costa Rica so I've been dealing with getting arrangements made and boxing stuff up. The good news is that in a couple months my development schedule will no longer need to be planned around my trips back and forth and I can ship product as needed. We will be moving to Michigan so my wife can spend some time with family and especially her ailing mother.

Hope it all works out for you Bryan, busy life. So a new board is on hold till at least then? when your back and have time again? I will do your easy video mod to my 800xl then to get it up and running while I wait for the UAV.

Edited by Bikerbob

Bikerbob, that's similar to the boards I have on hand. If anyone wants to buy the boards and parts as is, untested I can work something out.

It would be a matter of potentially changing out one of the resistors (what I'm working on for volume leveling) and seeing if the capacitor we added is beneficial or not... If it isn't needed a jumper wire can be used instead.

Alternatively my daughter leaves on the 13th and I'll be testing that weekend

I am looking for the new Version of the UAV he is doing.. not an audio card for a 400.. though if I put an UAV in my 400 then yes I will need one :)

I have my Incognito 800 and a U1mb 800xl that I would like to have better clearer output from. Both I would like to run 80col WP.. and eventually the GUI FJC is working on.

For the money.. I dont see the point of the VBXE, and I cant put on in the 800 anyway.. I was really impressed with the results of this one. Though I have to have.. after asking and asking.. I still dont see anywhere that any type of price has been worked out when this going to AA for retail.

James

Edited by Bikerbob

Quick update...

Good luck with your move. Sorry to hear of the family illness, but I will definitely say you are doing the right thing. Spending time with parents whose health is failing is an all too familiar issue for me. I wish you and your wife the best.

Here are the boards for the mod I will be selling, it's based on the design by Bryan and adds a couple of capacitors. I need to test it with a couple of different resistor values as we try and even out the audio vs the SIO tape volume.

post-6732-0-05724400-1470002408_thumb.jpg

post-6732-0-87607600-1470002426_thumb.jpg

Edited by orpheuswaking
  • Like 1

I have the physical PCB boards and they are tiny, It will take three wires soldered from the motherboard and one wire for audio out. With the size of the board I determined it would be better to avoid a header so all wires will be soldered direct. The hardest part will be locating it and insulating it from the motherboard.

Things got busy here recently and I am working to get some time to finish this up.

(I'll put a picture up of the PCB later so you can see how small it is)

heat shrink and hot snot would work.