IGNORED

New video upgrade coming soon!

Bryan

The resistors help reduce the influence of high frequency noise (the logic input capacitance causes a natural roll off, so you just pick a value that allows you to drive at the required speed - and you're right, it would prevent any overshoot effects). The extra benefit is that although HC can handle inputs about a half-volt outside the rails, it does have protection diodes. The resistors assure there won't be much current drawn if the main supply is 5.1V or so. The reason I run much of the circuit at 4.5V is that I needed to re-regulate the 5V down to another voltage for a clean local supply, and CMOS stuff works just fine over a wide range.

I think I know how I'm going to proceed with a new Rev D prototype. Ever notice you frequently can't find that one perfect logic chip that does exactly what you want?

I think I know how I'm going to proceed with a new Rev D prototype. Ever notice you frequently can't find that one perfect logic chip that does exactly what you want?

Yep tell me about it :( That is why you may have noticed me resorting to diode-resistor logic in some of my designs. But I guess that's what PAL's or GAL's were made for, although that gives you yet one more device that needs to be programmed (unfortunately).

- Michael

I've got a new Rev D design. The trick is now to get my new proto boards in Costa Rica. This country is not set up for shipping convenience and the government has cracked down on the independent shippers who were skirting the system (right now there's about $1000 of stuff I sent that I'll probably never see).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Any luck Bryan? We here in S.Ontario canada will need about 10.. so when that thread gets started.. ;)

James

I'm also hoping that the new version is ready pretty soon. I would like to verify its compatibility with the V-gate project I am working on. Presently his first released version is doing fine, so unless something has drastically changed I would think the new version would also be OK, but better to find out in case I can make a change to accommodate the difference. So yes, I too will want to buy a couple of these when they are released.

- Michael

Right now here's my schedule: I'm packing my things for a shipment back to the US and I'll be dealing with receiving that in early December. While in the US I plan to build a few new Rev D prototypes. If everything's okay then I'll get pricing for semi-assembled boards and start pre-orders again which will ship when I move back for good in Mar/Apr unless I make an earlier trip back for some reason. This means I'll do another direct sale and won't begin supplying to the AA store until after I've completed my move and have a shop set up again.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an accessory that can make life easier for those that want to hook their UAV output into a newer TV or Up-Converter that supports the standard S-Video Mini-Din connector.

DSC_0257_684ab003-a21d-46c0-ba2f-f8ab0da

mDIN4-F-BO-V1A, Mini Din 4 Female connector S-video Breakout Board

I have two on order :)

- Michael

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a pic of the S-Video Mini Din 4 breakout board (link) installed on an XEGS and connected to the UAV via two shielded cables (one for Luma and the other for Chroma).

SWQEJMA.jpg

Header Connections

1. Luma Shield (GND on UAV)
  2. Chroma Shield (GND on UAV)
  3. To UAV: Luma Out
  4. To UAV: Chroma Out
  5. Chassis GND (green wire soldered to RF shield motherboard grounding trace)

Works great!

- Michael

EDIT: I mounted it with two 4-40 screws, nuts, and four #4 nylon washers (one set as spacers between the boards, and the other as an insulator on the top side of the breakout board).

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 2

Hey Bryan, I did your older simple video mod on a Hong Kong socketed 800xl and the results were not great. On the other hand I have done this on other 800xl machines and better results.

Can I send you screen pics and maybe you can give me an idea how to improve it?

I am doing this because I am waiting for your UAV.. and could not wait anymore.. lol

I have the physical PCB boards and they are tiny, It will take three wires soldered from the motherboard and one wire for audio out. With the size of the board I determined it would be better to avoid a header so all wires will be soldered direct. The hardest part will be locating it and insulating it from the motherboard.

Things got busy here recently and I am working to get some time to finish this up.

(I'll put a picture up of the PCB later so you can see how small it is)

Any news on the audio boards for the 400? Would greatly appreciate to be able to get them to get two 400s converted.

New boards are here!!

When I get back to Costa Rica I'll get them built and tested and hopefully we'll be rolling soon!

Hey Bryan, I did your older simple video mod on a Hong Kong socketed 800xl and the results were not great. On the other hand I have done this on other 800xl machines and better results.

Can I send you screen pics and maybe you can give me an idea how to improve it?

I am doing this because I am waiting for your UAV.. and could not wait anymore.. lol

I'm pretty busy for the next couple weeks, but I'll try to help. Are the pictures posted in the other video upgrade thread?

-Bry

post-3606-0-39479300-1480690889_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

My subscription had lapsed so I was unable to receive PM's for a bit.

I'm assembling some new boards and I'll be working on getting a price for partial assembly (now that one side has 0603 stuff on it, it's near the limit of what I can do by hand). Anyway, this might make the price a little higher but hopefully in the same ballpark.

If everything looks good, I'll start a Rev D thread and take orders again.

-Bry

• Like 7

I'm almost done testing the new boards. After I found a couple mistakes and fixed a cracked board in my test monitor (it got manhandled on its way to Costa Rica.. see pic for the rather time consuming repair!) things started looking very nice. I'm just tweaking a few component values at this point.

post-3606-0-72061400-1482250171_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I'm almost done testing the new boards. After I found a couple mistakes and fixed a cracked board in my test monitor (it got manhandled on its way to Costa Rica.. see pic for the rather time consuming repair!) things started looking very nice. I'm just tweaking a few component values at this point.

Reminds me of a repair I did, a little less than two years ago, on a moisture-stricken dishwasher PCB. Close to the same amount of trace connections, and a series of connections on several ribbon cables. The repair was a success; no pictures, though, as it's on my sister's dishwasher.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2