IGNORED

Dual Joystick USB Adapter

joysfera

Hi guys,

not sure if this is the right place for my announcement but if you happen to enjoy Atari 8bit games and sometimes have to play them on your PC/Mac/Android using an emulator you might want to check out my new hardware adapter that will make it so much better icon_smile.gif

http://joy.sophics.cz/dual-joystick-usb-adapter/

If you're interested please send me an email. The contact is linked at the bottom of the web page.

Thanks,

Petr

• Like 2

4 directional, or actually 8?

Internally (in the joystick) there are four directional triggers or small push buttons: left, right, up, down. You can push the stick diagonally but then it simply presses two buttons at once - say left + up. So technically it's indeed 4 directional signalling, 4 bits of information about the position of the stick.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the Atari joysticks appear in the system just like any other "native" joysticks.

I'll add screenshots from Windows game controller setup on the web page on Monday.

I don't see the screenshots from windows game controller yet. I just got mine in the mail today and plugged into my Windows 7 setup and it failed, BUT after unplugging and plugging back in it found the drivers and is now working great. Thanks for the neat Atari hardware project.

Interesting: Today I bought a serial to USB adapter -with the hope to have my old Epyx 500XJ joystick back to life. However, my Windows XP computer doesn't recognize it. Tried searching for the corresponding drivers, without success.

After a while, I ran into an article that says this kind of joystick are no longer supported -no even with USB adapters.

- Y -

I just got mine in the mail today and plugged into my Windows 7 setup and it failed, BUT after unplugging and plugging back in it found the drivers and is now working great. Thanks for the neat Atari hardware project.

I'm glad you reported that it's working great. The initial Windows searching for a driver takes incredibly long sometimes but it's just for the first time. I have no idea what Windows do there for so long and it's sad that it can even fail as you say. It's just standard plug&play HID driver for joystick, no reason for searching it like it was hidden somewhere on other side of Moon or so.

• Like 1

Interesting: Today I bought a serial to USB adapter -with the hope to have my old Epyx 500XJ joystick back to life. However, my Windows XP computer doesn't recognize it. Tried searching for the corresponding drivers, without success.

After a while, I ran into an article that says this kind of joystick are no longer supported -no even with USB adapters.

- Y

Google the Driverpacks. They have drivers for almost anything that works with Windows XP. I can plug an X-box 360 Skylanders pad into my laptop, and it already has the drivers, and Windows XP installs them automatically.

You should have no problems finding drivers.

Please be aware that if you google drivers that you will get links to many malware sites. Try to get drivers from the chipset manufacturer if at all possible.

Google the Driverpacks. They have drivers for almost anything that works with Windows XP. I can plug an X-box 360 Skylanders pad into my laptop, and it already has the drivers, and Windows XP installs them automatically.

You should have no problems finding drivers.

Please be aware that if you google drivers that you will get links to many malware sites. Try to get drivers from the chipset manufacturer if at all possible.

Thanks for your answer. I just checkout the site and couldn't find any reference to Epyx gaming hardware.

- Y -

+1 to this. I was trying to get a USB hub working recently and spent a week afterwards clearing out all the shi- um, malware. The answer turned out to be going to the motherboard's website and getting the latest drivers for the onboard USB chipset.

• Like 2

- Y -

A serial to USB adapter won't help with your 500xj... The joystick is not a serial device, despite being 9-pin D-sub plug...

I don't know that retrobit cable but from its reviews it seems to have quality issues and is not Linux compatible. Also, no word about Windows 10+ compatibility. My adapter is 100% compatible with Linux (i.e. also Raspberry Pi and similar small computers useful for retro gaming) and is also working great in Windows 10+.

And I find my design actually sexier but what's sexy is just a personal opinion.