IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

So, I'm a little late to the ST port party as it were... though my excuse was that the old (Windows 2000 old) laptop, the one that I used to transfer games to my Skunk, had died a couple years back. I never got around to buying a new laptop, so I just stopped putting the new stuff on the Skunk (played a TON of Downfall though, which I still love, BTW). On a total whim, I plugged said laptop in and it fired right up! So I spent the entire day loading and playing most of the ST ports in this collection.

A bit of a long way to go in this story I know, but I wanted to say how much I appreciate you blokes taking the time to port these games over! I had several STs back in the day, and I played nearly all of those games at one time or another. Sure had a fun time today, with Joust, Metrocross, Gauntlet, Barbarian (I remember it as Death Sword), Rick Dangerous (loved AND hated that one!) and got to play some I'd never had the chance to back then, like R-Type. My gaming buddy will be in town next weekend, from across the country, and I'm thrilled to be able to bring out Moon Patrol and Outrun, two of his favourites. (If we only had that Star Trek game too, that would be perfect!)

I just wanted to say thanks to the Reboot team, and everyone else who took the time and effort to give us back a few pieces of our childhood. It is so extremely appreciated!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I feel like playing just one more game of Downfall. :)

Cheers,

Smeg

• Like 2

Thanks.

Couple of points. Firstly, you won't enjoy playing Outrun because, mostly, it's a horrible version on the ST, but also because I didn't hook the controller emulation up yet.

Secondly, none of these are under the Reboot brand ?

Glad you are having fun though!

• Like 3

I had Gauntlet playing at the VCF Midwest show in Chicago this weekend. I was attempting to get four players involved but I think the most we got up to was three. (Also had Xenon @:Megablast and Beebris showing)... My Jag got a lot of use :D

• Like 3

Well, it's got the arcade music and the arcade sound effects in the port... which I grabbed from MAME....

I just watched the YouTube vid. Totally impressed with the audio!

If you don't mind me asking, how the hell did you get the Jag to play YM2151 audio? MIDI? Samples? Or have you figured out how to get the Jag's DSP to emulate the YM2151? :)

Wow, Bubble Bobble and Gauntlet 2 are clearly the best games on Jaguar now, and they're not even enhanced ports. Straight up port.

Let's not call them "straight ports". After all, the ST originals didn't support the STe's Enhanced Joystick Ports so no ST Pad/JagPad or Team Tap support on the original platform.

That's also not counting the work Cyrano has done on ST titles like Joust where he's added the audio from the 2600, Atari 8-bit, arcade, and other sources too, not just the ST's mehtacular YM2149 audio. :)

I just watched the YouTube vid. Totally impressed with the audio!

If you don't mind me asking, how the hell did you get the Jag to play YM2151 audio? MIDI? Samples? Or have you figured out how to get the Jag's DSP to emulate the YM2151? :)

It's the power of the fumes.

• Like 4

Please ignore the trolls, regardless of if they do math meth or not.

https://youtu.be/hmzuXqX851I

All tracks in demo mode, then a quick playthrough.

Two players fully supported, scores now saved to EEPROM.

Love the audio from games of this era! Escape from the planet of the robot monsters, Blasteroids, Marble madness, Vindicators

It's the power of the fumes.

Nice! Could the same technique(s) be used on a real ST/STe/Falcon so that they could play the YM2151 derived audio?

[there's also gotta be STe and Falcon enthusiasts that would love to play these games with ST Pads/JagPads on their computers]...