IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

Ha, wait... you're saying the Jag couldn't handle mame games like Donkey Kong, Joust, Gauntlet, Pac-man... actually the Jag has MUCH better hardware than the Neo-Geo has, which is only a bit better than an Atari Mega STe. It isn't like I was saying the Jag should run Gauntlet Dark Legacy, which my PC can only barely run right now that it is 4ghz and has 32gb of RAM.. I am talking about old Atari games, and a lot of ripping out of the Arcade roms is already happening.

Looking at Ultra Vortek, I don't know why it wouldn't be feasible to get semi- close to running Mortal Kombat, though the performance hit from emulation would probably kill that unless it was optimized by an adept...

Which brings me too... Damnit!, why didn't Archon and Adept get ported to the ST? I see it on the Amiga... Hmm, I am trying to remember how playable Starflight would be, and if it would be a good pick for a port...

Which brings me too... Damnit!, why didn't Archon and Adept get ported to the ST? I see it on the Amiga... Hmm, I am trying to remember how playable Starflight would be, and if it would be a good pick for a port...

I think Archon and / or the sequel are ripe for a RB+ conversion. Maybe with the original graphics ripped first....then an identical version (same logic) but with stylised graphics and Jag type effects. I have the iOS versions of Archon (released in the early days of the app store) and even though they play well, the 'realistically drawn' sprites don't add much. I'd prefer Tron style effects, Minter like feedback, Rebooteroids style CRY (?) colour effects etc. Alas, I'm not capable of making anything that complicated...maybe when I retire, lol.

actually the Jag has MUCH better hardware than the Neo-Geo has

For 3D? Yes. For everything else? No. Let's start with the bus architecture...wait, let's not. Discussing facts here is pointless. There are reasons that even more modern consoles like the PSX and Saturn couldn't handle 1:1 Neo Geo ports. But hey, surely the Jag can, right?

• Like 3

Now this one's defo got me excited. I used to play this on 3 inch floppy disk on my spectrum +3. Same music. Highly addictive this one. I'm looking forward to seeing this one completed!

Bionic Commando is finished. In fact, all 8 are :)

• Badlands
  • Flying Shark
  • Bionic Commando
  • Commando
  • Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters
  • Dragon Breed
  • Midnight Resistance (Well, not quite, I still need to sort out the song order, but the game is done)
  • Like 9

• Badlands
  • Flying Shark
  • Bionic Commando
  • Commando
  • Dragon Breed
  • Midnight Resistance (Well, not quite, I still need to sort out the song order, but the game is done)

Well, crap, I can't possibly afford another set of 8 carts... or can I??? :)

• Like 1

Dude, this is evil... I just dropped 900 bucks to repair/rebuild my NAS.... maybe after I can catch up after that random slap in the face, I'll be able to start picking up these cartridges.

Is Bionic Commando modified to use a button for jump / shoot / grapple like the NES version? If so, that's fantastic! It always frustrated me on the ST version vs the NES version due to that.

By the way, they have a game called Windlands in VR that has the mechanic like Bionic Commando with grappling and swinging around. It's fantastic if your stomach can handle it!

I'm definitely going to have to pick up Joust and Gauntlet II, and I'm thinking more, but like I said, I need to recoup some of the pain of shifting TB of data around.

• Like 1

Well, crap, I can't possibly afford another set of 8 carts... or can I??? :)

• Badlands
  • Flying Shark
  • Bionic Commando
  • Commando
  • Dragon Breed

Fab! I'm currently in the process of purchasing the previous 16 from Al. Just as soon as he's a bit more freed up he can get them to me - can't wait! This lot going to cart too then?

I was just wondering, since in the process of this there is some input modifications, correct? Would there be any way to 'backport' the patches for using the Jag pad to say the STe/Falcon that has the extended joystick ports? Ha, Jaguar port from the ST played on the STe...

More on topic, if you're still pining for more work...

Oids!!! Such a fantastic game, and Jaguar worthy.

I was just wondering, since in the process of this there is some input modifications, correct? Would there be any way to 'backport' the patches for using the Jag pad to say the STe/Falcon that has the extended joystick ports? Ha, Jaguar port from the ST played on the STe...

More on topic, if you're still pining for more work...

Oids!!! Such a fantastic game, and Jaguar worthy.

I will be passing the code for all the mods onto Grazey / D-Bug at some point - he might be able to make F30/STe enhanced versions of them, but I have pretty close to no interest in the ST scene any more.

Cool, I know there are a lot of games that could benefit from more than one button joysticks. In Amiga land, they were always wired up with the possibility for multiple buttons, but Atari for some weird reason never really did for the DB9 controllers. Even the 7800 only really acted as one button if I recall.

Oh my, I knew the 5200 had multiple buttons on it, but... what is this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-5200-digital-arcade-controller-/201719087072?hash=item2ef764ffe0%3Ag%3AULEAAOSw5cNYKyRC

• Badlands
  • Flying Shark
  • Bionic Commando
  • Commando
  • Dragon Breed

Thank you and thank you and thank you!!!

Cool, I know there are a lot of games that could benefit from more than one button joysticks. In Amiga land, they were always wired up with the possibility for multiple buttons, but Atari for some weird reason never really did for the DB9 controllers. Even the 7800 only really acted as one button if I recall.

Oh my, I knew the 5200 had multiple buttons on it, but... what is this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-5200-digital-arcade-controller-/201719087072?hash=item2ef764ffe0%3Ag%3AULEAAOSw5cNYKyRC

I have one of these got it here on AA from another member who was making them, nice 5200 controller, $150 comes to mind?

Hacked up Neo-Geo arcade stick, that's awesome. It's too bad they never made an adapter for any of the A8's for the 5200 controller.

Anyhow, sorry that's off topic. I'm just thinking, that if at the time the Jaguar was released, if all these enhanced ST games coming out for it wouldn't have helped it sell more systems. Atari really should have released it with a 'Classics' game cartridge with some direct arcade ports of some of their more famous games (Battlezone, Pacman, Missile Command, etc) and then did the '2000' versions. Hell, even packaging in Tempest 2000 probably would have shipped more units.

Now we'll just praise the people doing all this glorious work!

• 3 weeks later...