IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

I never played the original. Is it supposed to be that slow-paced and choppy?

Yes, it's a bad port. Especially with such a small play area they could have done a lot better. Blood money is much smoother for example. This reminds me a lot of the Darius+ port which is equally bad technically speaking and much much worse gameplay wise. I think it might be just a tad smoother on the ST, but you can't really judge from videos.

Edited by Christos
  • Like 3

It was infinite loop of sucktitude. The STe wasn't selling because the software publishers weren't embracing the STe's enhanced features - better color palette, hardware scrolling, Blitter, enhanced DMA audio, and the Enhanced Joystick Ports, not to mention various incompatibilities - so potential customers were buying the Amiga instead. And then the publishers would cite the sales of the Amiga and continue ignoring the STe.

Availability was our main problem, STE/STE were being sent to europe and we had to sell what we could get unfortunately that meant amiga. The cost reduced a500 started to overtake by late 89.

• Like 1

In the pre-Internet days [meaning, open widely to the general public], believe it or not, there were these brick-and-mortar places called "Atari dealerships". I know, far out! Right? If copy protection was a factor, trade-ins for newer discs could've happened at those places. If it was a simple replacement patch, those could've been copied onto blank discs. In the pre-Internet days, there were also these things called Bulletin Board Systems (BBSes) and commercial online services like CompuServe, GEnie, and Delphi where such files could be downloaded from. And there were also these things called Atari Users Groups which generally maintained their own software libraries that you could get non-commercial software copied. And...this wouldn't have been STart or STLog doing it, but the British ST magazines could've provided patches on their included discs.

But nope, none of the publishers seemed to be interested.

We were a dealer a tried to support anything for the ST platform we could including imported disk mags,pal patches for free etc.Yes could have been done but not super efficient.

• Like 1

Continuing to return to the incomplete titles, this one now has the arcade music replacing the YM shite :D

Sound effects next, I guess!

https://youtu.be/Dne9BWJTkmw

Do not take this as criticism...just a simple question... did you run out of time or interest to do that with the Rampage port or were there other issues at hand? Thought I'd ask after the "YM shite" comment there. :)

• Like 1

Do not take this as criticism...just a simple question... did you run out of time or interest to do that with the Rampage port or were there other issues at hand? Thought I'd ask after the "YM shite" comment there. :)

No, I like the Rampage music :)

The YM can sound amazing, just most of the time it doesn't.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to somehow make the finished games available both as ROMs and ABS-files? Personally I only have a cd-driver so I am limited to playing the ABS-games. It would be greatly appreciated.

Anything bigger than 2MB cannot be an ABS, and anything that could be an ABS will end up on ebay. So, double no.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey CJ, first off, thanks for everything you've done up to this point. I have no experience with the ST or the library, but just started watching through a bunch of youtube videos to see what was out there. In particular, I would love to see Speedball 2 and Civilization ported over. Some other games I thought looked interesting which might be worth checking out- Defender of the Crown, Dungeon Master, Elite, Marble Madness, PacMania, Saint Dragon, Turrican 2. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I actually just started a different thread about video games in a series that have gaps on platforms. Always wondered why the hell the Jaguar got Zool 2 but not Zool 1. Maybe that would be a good one for a port. Though to be fair I understand you have been doing the ST to Jaguar ports, not Amiga to Jaguar. :P

How different would it be to do that?

Hey CJ, first off, thanks for everything you've done up to this point. I have no experience with the ST or the library, but just started watching through a bunch of youtube videos to see what was out there. In particular, I would love to see Speedball 2 and Civilization ported over. Some other games I thought looked interesting which might be worth checking out- Defender of the Crown, Dungeon Master, Elite, Marble Madness, PacMania, Saint Dragon, Turrican 2. Keep up the good work!

I always thought Dungeon Master would work, but then I think of spell casting. Some serious amounts of tweaking controls would be required to make it playable (and I bet the Pro Controller would be hugely beneficial). Then again, now that Oids has been patched to work with the Jag Pad on the STe, that'd be an epic game on the Jag too! Shit, I need to look at the list of what has been ported so far.

Thanks for that :)

Enjoy 2018.

I really need to get some of your ports! Meant to get Gauntlet and Joust at the very least, but somehow managed to talk myself out of it. 2018 has been pretty shit for me so far though.

Edited by leech