IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

It's been a long time, but isn't this running a bit faster than the ST version? Great work so far! This game is one that would have rocked for a Jag update, back in the day. Then again I maintain that Club Drive (which always reminded me of this) would have been a fantastic game if it hadn't been so buggy/choppy. It ended up being an okay game for me and most thought it was crap.

I should track down a skunkboard...

• Like 1

It's been a long time, but isn't this running a bit faster than the ST version? Great work so far! This game is one that would have rocked for a Jag update, back in the day. Then again I maintain that Club Drive (which always reminded me of this) would have been a fantastic game if it hadn't been so buggy/choppy. It ended up being an okay game for me and most thought it was crap.

I should track down a skunkboard...

Thank you! Yes, it is - ST is 8Mhz, Jag is 14Mhz, so it is significantly smoother :)

And thanks to swapd0's post I now have the revs counter, so the engine is now correct!

• Like 6

Thank you! Yes, it is - ST is 8Mhz, Jag is 14Mhz, so it is significantly smoother :)

And thanks to swapd0's post I now have the revs counter, so the engine is now correct!

I may or may not have been running it at 16Mhz on the Mega STe. Ha! I would have to check again to see if that was the case.

Actually, assuming it worked, I bet this game would fly on either the TT030 or Falcon w/CT60e... I will at least try it on one of those three tomorrow to find out.

Awesome work! Ah, there weird almost squealing sound of your care getting damaged.

• Like 2

Here's Stunt Car Racer on my TT030. Can't tell if my TT is buggy (probably could do with a re-cap) or the game is. Though weirdly I found that when playing with my capture card's VGA ratio settings in OBS, it'd restart the TT, weird, eh?

I am really terrible now, I used to be good....

Also: the sound here keeps going weird, it didn't do that while playing, but then I mostly was hearing the internal speaker, so maybe there is something funky with the output, or my line in is just terrible...

Edited by leech
  • Like 3

Yeah the frame rate is petty horrendous, interesting that Vlads recent efforts look a bit like this game on steroids.

It's flatshading, so it all kinda looks similar. Of course, this one is available now, that is - if one enjoys driving games played in the framerate of the Checkered Flag (exactly what jag needs more of!) :)

Long before the A800 port (around October, I guess), I was doing some benchmarks on actual track pieces from StuntCar Racer, and it shouldn't drop below 30 fps at 768x200 in my engine, even single-threaded on just GPU.

I'm pretty darn sure, if proper effort was spent on the multithreaded renderer with DSP (e.g. split the engine components between DSP and GPU), that this game would run at silky smooth 50/60 fps on jaguar. Highly likely not this year, though.

It's flatshading, so it all kinda looks similar. Of course, this one is available now, that is - if one enjoys driving games played in the framerate of the Checkered Flag (exactly what jag needs more of!) :)

If one enjoys games, one would enjoy this.

It is pretty obvious the Jaguar could do this at 30/60 fps using a native engine. Getting the physics, game play and AI nailed? That's a different ballpark entirely. This game oozes fun, that is not easy to manufacture.

Are you done being snide now, or would you like to get some more unsubtle, rather pathetic, backhanded jabs in before heading back to your eleventybillionth unfinished project of vapourware?

• Like 4

I'm pretty darn sure, if proper effort was spent on the multithreaded renderer with DSP (e.g. split the engine components between DSP and GPU), that this game would run at silky smooth 50/60 fps on jaguar. Highly likely not this year, though.

You keep saying this and it irks me. Multithreading isn't what I think you think it is, and is probably a bit pointless maybe even impossible on Jaguar hardware. What you are actually meaning is Multiprocessing. (wikilink)

All your theoretical promises of awesome 3D engines amount to absolutely nothing if the outcome is nothing more than a few youtube videos of tests or tech demos. Why not concentrate on a single project and get it finished and released?

• Like 5

Yeah the frame rate is petty horrendous

Actually the frame rate is higher than the original version. It currently plays really well (no shock there, the original is a classic!)

The TT version looks sweet!

I might try and re-engineer parts of this on the GPU. It did wonders for Star Wars just moving the line draw over.

• Like 3

Off-yet-on topic, scratch whatever suggestions I may have made in or around this thread as to games you should port, I don't want to pile on to any frustrations you may experience with your project here. Thanks for givin' us access to the goods when you do, CJ. These ports are cool and interesting additions to the Jaguar library. Overall, thanks again for the effort put in, it's appreciated.

Off-yet-on topic, scratch whatever suggestions I may have made in or around this thread as to games you should port, I don't want to pile on to any frustrations you may experience with your project here. Thanks for givin' us access to the goods when you do, CJ. These ports are cool and interesting additions to the Jaguar library. Overall, thanks again for the effort put in, it's appreciated.

No problems, nobody expects everyone to like everything - and that is fine.

I'll keep doing 'my thing' - and if that happens to upset or annoy certain people, then I'll just smile wider while I'm doing it.

• Like 2

I am not sure if someone asked this before or not, but couldn't your same porting methods be used to port games from the Amiga to the ST as well? Or for that matter from Amiga to Jaguar? I think it was on Facebook that someone was trying to name drop games like Shadow of the Beast.

And by all means I am not asking you to do it. We should get more people doing it. :) Ha, I would imagine it would be easier, at least in the way that the inputs wouldn't have to be tweaked going from computer to computer, vs computer to Jaguar.

And on that note, an improvement to Stunt Car Racer would be to make acceleration be a button instead of up, I am going to blame me crashing on the TT to that or the hightler framerate... I was so bad it literally made the game crash...

ST games are easier to port because all it's done with the CPU, with an Amiga game you need to rewrite code that uses the blitter, sprites, copper...

Also you need to know the hardware and CyranoJ said (IIRC) that he knows the Atari ST but not the Amiga.

• Like 3

ST games are easier to port because all it's done with the CPU, with an Amiga game you need to rewrite code that uses the blitter, sprites, copper...

Also you need to know the hardware and CyranoJ said (IIRC) that he knows the Atari ST but not the Amiga.

I guess that begs the question, were there any games for the ST to use the blitter that was available in later machines? I'm betting they weren't many that weren't on the 'STe enhanced' list. But I believe the Jaguar has a blitter. Though that does discount some of the other things. Yeah, I was thinking there was at least one other person who was trying to do some ports. The only game I can think of that came out for the Jaguar that may have been an actual Amiga port would be Zool 2.

I guess that begs the question, were there any games for the ST to use the blitter that was available in later machines? I'm betting they weren't many that weren't on the 'STe enhanced' list. But I believe the Jaguar has a blitter. Though that does discount some of the other things. Yeah, I was thinking there was at least one other person who was trying to do some ports. The only game I can think of that came out for the Jaguar that may have been an actual Amiga port would be Zool 2.

Maybe it was me? But my approach was different.

There are a very few games that uses the blitter and I think that none of them are in the list of ported games, and the STE blitter it's different from Jaguar's blitter, you'll need to rewrite that part of the code, but with an Atari ST game you "only" need to convert the frame buffer from planar to chunky.