IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

Here you go, for the technical side:

Gridrunner stored a table of FA21 (Countdown) and register values - this is processed every frame in one loop, instead of per-timer-call on the ST.

post-11520-0-07619900-1522622201_thumb.png

The GPU interrupt handler has to be as fast as possible, as the GPU is busy rendering the screen and needs minimal interruptions. Registers are pre-loaded outside the loop to avoid MOVEI loads, and the indirect service routines are not used, the code is placed directly at the jump point.

post-11520-0-53574300-1522622361.png

• Like 5

Arkanoid: Revenge of DOH **UPDATE**

Thanks to Dr Clu, we now have the ST, Amiga, Arcade and NES audio. Effects and music can be selected individually, so you could have, eg, Arcade music with Amiga sound effects!

Jagpad, Rotary, ST and Amiga mouse options for your control desires.

https://youtu.be/LU_JKzwwsO4

• Like 16

Hello all.

This is my first post here so be gentle!

I have always wondered if you would be able to enhance the games when porting them to the Jag? Even if it is something like extra colours or better sounds?

It always seems a shame that all that effort goes into bringing them across, and then they are exactly the same as the ST version.

I'm sure that someone will point out why this isn't possible! :)

CJ outlined the basic process of bringing games over, no idea where to find the current version of this, but an old version of the site has it: http://reboot.untergrund.net/new-reboot/redirection.html

With that in mind, check games such as Stunt Car Racer that he's speeding up by replacing segments of code with Jaguar-specific routines.

Also, we tried what you suggested years ago with Bubble Bobble. It resulted in something that no longer looked like Bubble bobble, but some cheap nasty rip-off PC shareware crap from 1987 :P

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 3

CJ outlined the basic process of bringing games over, no idea where to find the current version of this, but an old version of the site has it: http://reboot.untergrund.net/new-reboot/redirection.html

With that in mind, check games such as Stunt Car Racer that he's speeding up by replacing segments of code with Jaguar-specific routines.

Also, we tried what you suggested years ago with Bubble Bobble. It resulted in something that no longer looked like Bubble bobble, but some cheap nasty rip-off PC shareware crap from 1987 :P

Thanks for the reply!

Has anyone ever tried porting Microprose Formula 1 Grand Prix? I still play it on my ST when I have enough time to connect everything up!

Hello everybody, as somebody who is following this thread for quite some time and who is playing Atari ST games since 1989 and Jaguar games since 1997 I am most happy about any conversion. And I agree to what was said above, that while subtle changes are OK, keeping ST games otherwise largely intact serves the purpose of preservation as well as transformation into a new century best. But... I am not really sure if I understand what we are waiting for. The games CJ is converting are available for this Jaguar flash device. But neither commercially nor freely on CD or something. Are there official releases planned? I would buy most of these, but I will not buy a flash device that I have to flash and reflash any time I want to play a game. Because in this case why wouldn´t I buy a ST and start swapping floppies again? Not to mention that I can attach my Jag pad to my Mac and play emulations of any ST games with the feel of a Jaguar. Maybe somebody can bring me up to the latest developments that I might have missed because I am mainly watching this thread only.

Edited by steve-vx

Hi steve-vx.

It's pretty simplez really.

I gave them away for free and people took the piss and started selling them on etsy and ebay. I release them occasionally now locked to skunkboards, and sometimes give Gaztee the binaries for him to do with as is his want for those people who would like actual physical carts (and a very nice job he does of these as well)

I love the Jaguar, and I love that people enjoy these and are, in the vast majority of the wider community, very supportive, but to the best of my ability I will not enable the etsy and ebay folk.

^^ this is why we can't have nice things.

• Like 6

Hi steve-vx.

It's pretty simplez really.

I gave them away for free and people took the piss and started selling them on etsy and ebay. I release them occasionally now locked to skunkboards, and sometimes give Gaztee the binaries for him to do with as is his want for those people who would like actual physical carts (and a very nice job he does of these as well)

I love the Jaguar, and I love that people enjoy these and are, in the vast majority of the wider community, very supportive, but to the best of my ability I will not enable the etsy and ebay folk.

^^ this is why we can't have nice things.

The aforementioned Assgoblins.

• Like 3

Arkanoid: Revenge of DOH **UPDATE**

Thanks to Dr Clu, we now have the ST, Amiga, Arcade and NES audio. Effects and music can be selected individually, so you could have, eg, Arcade music with Amiga sound effects!

Jagpad, Rotary, ST and Amiga mouse options for your control desires.

https://youtu.be/LU_JKzwwsO4

Long big, weird, story...

When I was 10-12, I went to prep school in MA (boarding school). But during the summer break, I lived at home with my parents. My dad managed a Sheraton Hotel in Connecticut. Corporate transferred him there to "rescue" the hotel because there was major corruption with the finances, and the hotel was losing money. Among the many things my dad did to turn around the hotel, was to "close down" the cocktail / dance bar that existed on one end of the hotel. Since I was the GM's son, the hotel was my home. We lived in one of the suites (had some walls taken down between rooms and my bedroom was a hotel room. In any case, I'd spend most of my summers rollerblading around the hallways, and I'd always make my way to the bar because they had a couple of arcade machines in it. It still needed quarters, but one of the games was Arkanoid - Revenge of Doh, and I'd pump so many damn quarters in there. It was always off when I came in, so I'd have to switch it on... but it was always weird. Here I am, playing this arcade machine in the middle of a huge bar, all by myself.

60465496.jpg

I guess you really hate to be wrong (you're not alone in that):

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=6993

We already proved they all existed, whatever justification or plausibility you give to yourself for your own statements bears no further weight.

Everything in the arcade museum is real then?

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9059

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8394

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=11344