IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

Sure, it's just an opinion. After all, the fact the genre is literally called point and click instead of "hold the direction down until the cursor is in the right place" and "too bad, you overshot your target" doesn't mean anything, does it?

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 6

Sure, it's just an opinion. After all, the fact the genre is literally called point and click instead of "hold the direction down until the cursor is in the right place" and "too bad, you overshot your target" doesn't mean anything, does it?

Not that. It was that you stated your opinion on it's fun factor and appeal as an absolute fact. There are plenty of that genre converted to the Jag that we enjoy.

But, but, but! To have an opinon on an opinion? Or the king of the mindf*cks, an opinion on an opinion of someone who is an asshole? That got me for the weekend :)

Opinion inception!

My opinion (asshole) is stinkier than all of yours!! Mwahahaha!

Seriously though, point and click games are kind of weird with a gamepad. I mean sometimes they make it so you can just select between what you're supposed to click on, but that kind of gives away things. Speaking of point and click, wouldn't it be cool if one day Thumbleweed Park was open sourced and we could get a Jaguar port of that? Or any newer game that could be ported, since so many newer games are 'retro' and would probably run okay on the Jag.

Of note, I wonder how well something like Tower 57 would run (they ported it to Amiga OS4 running on a PowerPC...)

There are plenty of that genre converted to the Jag that we enjoy.

Such as?

Speaking of point and click, wouldn't it be cool if one day Thumbleweed Park was open sourced and we could get a Jaguar port of that? Or any newer game that could be ported, since so many newer games are 'retro' and would probably run okay on the Jag.

Just because a game looks/feels retro doesn't mean it can be adapted on a retro machine easily. Thimbleweed Park is great game, but its code is designed for modern systems and it uses more than 800 MB of compressed data. Edited by Zerosquare

Such as?

I've got quite a few! There's Myst, a game I bought for cheap from some liquidator. Then there's the Myst demo I got with my first Jag CD. I also got a copy of Myst (demo version) with the second Jaguar CD I bought. I also purchased, via eBay, what turned out to be a CD-R of a game called "Mist" - at least that's what the person who used hot pink glittery nail varnish to scrawl on the surface thought it was called. Wasn't great, bit samey.

• Like 3

I've got quite a few! There's Myst, a game I bought for cheap from some liquidator. Then there's the Myst demo I got with my first Jag CD. I also got a copy of Myst (demo version) with the second Jaguar CD I bought. I also purchased, via eBay, what turned out to be a CD-R of a game called "Mist" - at least that's what the person who used hot pink glittery nail varnish to scrawl on the surface thought it was called. Wasn't great, bit samey.

Yeah. And Myst's gameplay is quite different from Monkey Island's, and better suited to gamepads (less UI, slower pace).

The only other one I can think of is Elansar, and it's even a worse comparison: it's been designed right from the start to be played using a gamepad (yet is still more comfortable with a mouse).

• Like 2

As someone who went and bought both Cannon Fodder and Syndicate on Jaguar after playing the Amiga originals. ..

The lack of precision you had with a mouse made for a lot of frustration early on.

Yes, you adjust, but it's never anywhere near as good a set up as using a mouse.

This isn't Jaguar bashing either.

As a PlayStation owner, Xcom, Alien Resurrection, Syndicate Wars, the Command And Conquer games, Dune 2000, Lemmings, Z and more all proved to be far superior experiences with the Playstation mouse.

Lemmings which i had loved on the ST was more frustrating on the Lynx and Game Gear..

And i gave up on N64 Command And Conquer. ...it was horrendous using the N64 stick.

When you take PC/ST/Amiga games designed for a mouse and try and map that precision to a controller, you simply loose so much.

• Like 2

Back on subject....

Went back to this one from ages ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnBpmGAnLmo

Worked out how the teleporter names are encoded, changed them to numerical codes, modified the input routine to handle the numberpad (*=Enter, #=Delete) and.... bingo! Don't worry, for the final build I'll scramble the codes with random numbers :P

• Like 7

I finished this game on the zx spectrum, I was a great game but I get a bit disappointed with the ST version.

Similar feelings, i had it on the 800XL, then C64, finally picked it up again on the ST and whilst it was pleasant enough, it felt a little bit rooted to it's 8 bit origins.

Or maybe i had just become over familiar with it..

Nice to see it being made avaiable for those who previously have never tried it though.

This thread is amazing.
It pretty much made me buy a Jaguar, a Skunkboard, etc. just to be able to enjoy all this. I'm still waiting for all the stuff to arrive (it's a lonnng trip to Brazil) but I felt like expressing my gratitude here.

I've been lurking this thread and the whole Jaguar section for a few years, and it's unbelievable the amount of effort put into this amazing collection of ports.

Thank you very much, especially to CyranoJ.

Aside from all the technical work, there's also a valuable curation of the Atari ST library given the insane amount of games it has.

I knew most of the games you ported but some of them were totally unheard of for me, despite being classics :lol:.

I can't wait to finally play them on the Jaguar.

Edited by Barone
  • Like 5