IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

It seemed everytime i read the comments section on a YT video looking at the Jeff Minter games now available on Jaguar, the Wahhhhh Brigade would be out in force saying what a tragic waste of the machines potential they were...

I don't suppose it ever occurred to any of them,that Jeff himself when starting out on Jaguar coding,might of hoped to bring some of his old games to the Jaguar?.

Let's see now...

Jeff:I'd like to do some of the old games... whether Atari would let me do Llamasoft back-catalogue for the Jag is another matter!

Well Jeff you had to wait a good number of years,but finally Jaguar owners are now very much enjoying your games,thanks to all involved.

• Like 2

It seemed everytime i read the comments section on a YT video looking at the Jeff Minter games now available on Jaguar, the Wahhhhh Brigade would be out in force saying what a tragic waste of the machines potential they were...

I don't suppose it ever occurred to any of them,that Jeff himself when starting out on Jaguar coding,might of hoped to bring some of his old games to the Jaguar?.

Let's see now...

Jeff:I'd like to do some of the old games... whether Atari would let me do Llamasoft back-catalogue for the Jag is another matter!

Well Jeff you had to wait a good number of years,but finally Jaguar owners are now very much enjoying your games,thanks to all involved.

Ha, well you have people like me who still have STs that we can play the games on, so getting them for the Jaguar seems kind of redundant unless they are enhanced to use the hardware at least somewhat. Like 4 player Gauntlet or Joust with better sound... I knew I should have bought those two when I had the chance.

Ha, well you have people like me who still have STs that we can play the games on, so getting them for the Jaguar seems kind of redundant unless they are enhanced to use the hardware at least somewhat. Like 4 player Gauntlet or Joust with better sound... I knew I should have bought those two when I had the chance.

You can still buy those games either as cart only or complete. ;)

@Leech:

My comments were more aimed at the individuals on YT comments sections that described the Minter Games on Jaguar as having no place on the Jaguar...The bottom of the barrel being scraped etc.

They'd obviously followed Jeff's hopes for Jaguar development, closely and are well versed in coding on the Jaguar themselves.

Similar to when Jaguar Xenon II gets slandered, people clearly knew Marc Rosocha had approached Atari with idea of bringing ST style shooters like Wings Of Death to the Jaguar, but Atari rejected the idea.

Games like Custodian, Switchblade etc have just as much right to be on the Jaguar as Theme Park, Syndicate, Sensible Soccer etc.

• Like 1

Yet Raiden and Teevor McFur made the cut. I can kind sort of understand why Atari didn't want just a flood of ST games ported. After all, the ST was old, and the Jag had some fancier bits. But if they had the money, I completely would think they should have gotten some of the Falcon games ported to it, and the other way as well.

Steel Talons for example.

• Like 1

There were a good few promising concepts and pitches put to Atari for Jaguar games that Atari rejected, yet we got Club Drive, Crescent Galaxy, Supercross etc.

Still discovering more, all being passed onto Atarimania for a misc Jaguar triva section.

I doubt something in the style of Wings Of Death would of done much for the Jaguar's commercial fortunes, it's not a name like Raiden.

I'd just of rather of seen something in this style from Eclipse rather than Imagitec Design bring us Raiden, which appears to be ported from Falcon.

Never seen a shred of proof myself it was ever in the works for the Panther..

So the theory is that it started for the Falcon but was never finished there and was released for the Jaguar instead?

;-) There are several theories floating around out there.

Certain individuals swear blind it was started on The Panther,but seem unable to share details of just who from Imagitec Design told them this.

To my knowledge it's not popped up on the C.V of anyone from that period that i have seen or myself GTW,Unseen64 etc have contacted...

But then of all the Imagitec Design staff we reached out to, only 50% actually replied..

They really don't like talking about unreleased games :-))

So..it might be a similar case to 7800 Toki..documents etc could turn up out of the blue to prove they were working on it,just don't want to talk about it.

It was only recently i learnt they were handling ST Renegade III and pitched a game based on Red Dwarf...

So you can't rule a Panther version out, you just need sources named for the claim to have any degree of credibility.

Another theory is that it joins Dino Dudes, which started out on Falcon, but then Atari switched all focus to the Jaguar, so Falcon version limped out some time after the Jaguar version.

Falcon Raiden only had 3 levels done, Nigel Conroy would be the man to ask about that.

There's also the unreleased Amiga AGA version.

I've seen Imagitec Design staff say that in a way Atari burnt Imagitec in that they did the Falcon version of Dino Dudes before the Jaguar version...

But then the internal Atari documents that Scott Stilphen kindly passed on had Atari giving a viewpoint of Imagitec being a company that 7800 wise,had taken on more projects than they could handle.

Martin Hooley has given at least 2 different 'official' reasons for Freelancer 2120 on Jaguar CD never appearing..

Atari went into complete and utter mental mode..wanted lots of texture mapping etc to compete with Saturn and PlayStation games, hardware couldn't handle it, game moved to PlayStation..

And more recently it was clear Jaguar CD was going to bomb at retail, they wouldn't get their investment back so it and Space Junk canned.

So it's often hard to get the full story,as Imagitec claims often differ to what Atari was reporting.

Somewhere in the middle lies the truth no doubt.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Bit more on Minter wanting to do 'proper' Llamasoft games on Jaguar:

Jeff :I'd really like to do some 'proper Llamasoft' stuff for the Jag, with llamas and camels and all the Yakly beasties, but I don't know how far they'd (Atari) let me go... Super Llama Lland would be a blast! Maybe everyone should send Atari postcards of llamas

with 'I WANT MY LLAMA TV' on or something ;-)

Bit more on Minter wanting to do 'proper' Llamasoft games on Jaguar:

Jeff :I'd really like to do some 'proper Llamasoft' stuff for the Jag, with llamas and camels and all the Yakly beasties, but I don't know how far they'd (Atari) let me go... Super Llama Lland would be a blast! Maybe everyone should send Atari postcards of llamas

with 'I WANT MY LLAMA TV' on or something ;-)

Nothing stopping him now from doing a homebrew Super Llama Land. You know everyone would totally buy that! Granted he did give us Polybious and Tempest 4k recently.

I want my Llama TV!

• Like 1

On the first page I see Action Fighter and it says complete in bold green, which if i read right means it's done. But there is no download link for that. I found online there was a box cover and then a CD cover. Was there also a CD iso of this one at some point? I had noticed this with some other ST ports that i found in rom or abs format but then saw CD box covers for them and figured some might have had CD isos made for them too (Mercenary, Action Fighter, Carrier Command, Slam Racer, Starquake) those are some I saw CD cover art posted on the forums but haven;t found CD isos of them.

On the first page I see Action Fighter and it says complete in bold green, which if i read right means it's done. But there is no download link for that. I found online there was a box cover and then a CD cover. Was there also a CD iso of this one at some point? I had noticed this with some other ST ports that i found in rom or abs format but then saw CD box covers for them and figured some might have had CD isos made for them too (Mercenary, Action Fighter, Carrier Command, Slam Racer, Starquake) those are some I saw CD cover art posted on the forums but haven;t found CD isos of them.

Yep, they are all done. No downloads due to the big red message at the top of the first post. Maybe -skunklocked versions when I get the time.

• Like 1

Yep, they are all done. No downloads due to the big red message at the top of the first post. Maybe -skunklocked versions when I get the time.

All good. I read the first post but didn't know what unlocked meant. Action Fighter looked pretty cool. Those others I have the abs for but not any CD isos and didn't know if there actually we're CD versions of them but saw the CD artwork on the forum