IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

And regarding claims being made about people being reported to the police by said individual. ..

I'm no expert ( i mean my ex landlords and close friends were only in the Met, then an inspector and Sgt in Devon and Cornwall police, i myself served as a Special Constable for over 3 years in Devon and Cornwall constabulary so all my background checks still stand.. ) but in UK law the police have no jurisdiction. ..

www.ask the police.uk

defamation of character - publishing a false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation). If this is the case, you would need to take action through the civil courts as this would be a civil matter and the police do not have any jurisdiction to assist with this. You should seek legal advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau and/or a solicitor before taking any action regarding this.

It's upto any individual to work with any other group or individual but given that Fusion Books no longer wish to be associated with certain individuals. .

There was the whole Epyx fiasco..

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?33170-Looking-for-programmers-to-work-on-exciting-new-projects!

As Atari once said...Do The Math.

It's either countless people have agendas regarding 1 certain individual or a good few of us feel the community deserves far better than to be constantly lied to and given false information.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

Aside from the above, one more thing to add regarding this individual is he also doesn't seem to understand how charity donations should work.

If we are thinking of the same individual, he also doesn't appear to grasp how easy it is to take his comments about how he spoke to A to Z from da industry ..how they are good friends of his and put them to said industry types

Well, just passing by to say thank you once again for all the Atari ST port and especially the free skunkboard versions.
I live in Brazil and for me, for the most part, it's way too difficult to buy the physical releases given the 4:1 ratio of my local currency with USD, the current importing taxes and the likelihood of having packages blocked by customs officers for weeks/months.

I love these old games and the Atari game design paradigm as a whole. People who hate on them are beyond dumb IMO.

I see it as a certain kind of art that was lost in the more recent decades.
Having access to it is very fortunate and the ones who allow us to do so should be praised, not criticized and much less attacked.

If you don't like old games and your narrow mind can only like "hardware-pushing" games, just go elsewhere.
Some of these old games have brilliant, genius game design. If people can't see the value in that, they actually don't like good games.

Edited by Barone
  • Like 5

@Barone:You've nailed it with the (sheer) narrow minds that hate on ST games coming to the Jaguar with gameplay improved on the original and creators blessings no less.

As Philip Oliver said..what on earth is wrong with these people?.

Reading beyond the inital:But Wahhhh it's not built from scratch for the Jaguar ( newsflash..same applies to Doom, wanna bend Carmack's ear over that? No really, go on, tell him it was a lame PC hack and try and persuade people not to touch it as he should of written it from scratch so it ran in higher resolution, had better lighting and faster frame rate..i double dare you, we will wait)...

It's pure jealously plain and simple.

It's just a few individuals seeing Cyrano Jones working hand in hand with Jeff Minter, Cinemaware, Oliver Twins and Ex-Bitmap Bros, to provide the kind of bloody great FUN games that so many in the Jaguar community either missed at the time, want to rediscover or simply carry on playing, but on the Jaguar and wishing they could be part of something like this.

If these individuals are actively trying to persuade people not to purchase games from Atari Age store based on such spite, then there has to be grounds for legal action to be taken as it's a deliberate attempt to do harm to said sales.

I know Piko Interactive had to make this clear some months ago and offending comments were removed, but it sounds like the message has not sunk in.

If they focused a fraction of the hate into learning to code, learning to work with a community, they could be offering something similar and the entire community would benifit.

Noses removed to spite faces situation instead though, sadly.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 2

Sorry, but the fact people are complaining Treasure Island Dizzy doesn't use the Jaguar hardware enough in their opinion and should of been built from the ground up ( for what exactly? a 300+ unit release?)...

Is just nuts

Ignoring the limited market, just looking at the Dizzy series itself.

Can someone please remind me when the games were ever system pushers?

The original Dizzy which i had on the C64 was a ZX Spectrum Port ...

I had Treasure Island Dizzy on the ST and it's been some years now but it wasn't going to cause Thalion or the Bitmap Bros any sleeplease nights in terms of showcasing the ST hardware .

I don't seem to remember the Amiga press swooning over it's many layers of parallax scrolling or sheer amount of sprites on screen with zero flicker or slowdown.

Everyone just took it for what it was..

A fun, cartoony looking, great little arcade adventure.

Graphics and sound were simply adequate, nothing more..nothing less.

So are we now supposed to have the same dun arcade adventure running in 65000 colours, CD quality version of the jaunty tune , multiple layers of parallax scrolling ...

Just because it's on the Jaguar?

I'm starting to be very glad i am seen as a lunatic by some as the supposed logic doing the rounds is complete and utter madness to myself.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

I think you triggered him ;)

He seems to be playing the autism card now. The thing is, I know several people with autism, and none of them exhibit any sign of being utter twats. It really isn't one of the symptoms of the condition.

If he was attacking everyone, and not just the same group of specific people, all of whom have one thing in common - exposing his hypocrisy, lies and idiocy - then he might have a point. However trying to excuse his repeated despicable and targeted behaviour on a condition is a new low for him. I fully realise there's a spectrum, but he seems to be off into the gamma-ray frequencies.

I'd also like to know how someone with a crippling disease manages to swan around shows taking videos....

Oh well, I'm sure it isn't more lies, lol.

• Like 4

It's just utter madness to run to social media just to single out ST and Amiga ports which are being done now to support the Jaguar community and conveniently forget the likes of Theme Park (some extra rides) , Syndicate (pointless Zoom mode), Cannon Fodder and Sensible Soccer were all ported from the Amiga and not built from the ground up for the Jaguar as the commercial user base wasn't there to warrant it.

I remember when Xenon II on Jaguar was openly being attacked.

It's critics were not up in arms about the Commodore CDTV version not using the storage space to have a stack of exclusive levels, just a remixed soundtrack.

There were no cries of outrage about the PC version running in what was it? 320×240 (i could be way off there, but you get the idea) or the 32 bit Acorn Archimedes version not being done in 256 colours and having a slower frame rate and weaker impression of depth than the 16 bit Amiga 500 version.

Among it's most vocal critics were those who would have you believe they are experts on games on multiple systems and have written about the Amiga and Acorn A3000.

I didn't hear them making anything like such a fuss over the people who brought Xenon II to the Genesis and it's scaled back soundtrack and if memory serves. .missing level.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i haven't seen them banging down the doors of the team behind CDTV Defender Of The Crown for again just using the vast extra storage space avaiable to massively improve the games audio and do a few minor graphical tweaks.

You can add the above to the reasoning as to why it's evident the Jaguar releases have been unfairly put in the spotlight by some.

So the naysayers logic is apparently as it's on Jaguar..put in more time and effort than commercial coders did back in the day , for a very limited production run and we still won't buy it as you made it.

Surprised Atari Age even bothers anymore if that's the reaction to each release.

I don't wish to get bogged down in the mental health issue as it's far too close to home, but if it's being 'weaponised' as Lynx Pro said a few days ago, a few things have to be made bloody clear.

We lost 1 family member some years ago who took his own life due to crippling depression, the after effects of which are felt to this day, my father still battles with it daily and close friends of mine have also made attempts to take their own lives because of mental health issues..I am only too well aware how under funded and poorly supported the NHS is when it comes to trying to deal with mental health issues and just how many people fall through the cracks.

But when you see individuals describing the Atari Age Community as delusional nut jobs, see individuals described as lunatics, raving mad and the countless other slang words used based on mental illness used as a form of attack, it does honestly turn your stomach.

It is deeply offensive and if an individual wants to use such derogatory language rather than say something along lines of..don't put much faith in what that person is saying and then come forward with credible evidence to support the claim or point of view they have, then they have lost the argument before it even began.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 5

when you see individuals describing the Atari Age Community as delusional nut jobs, see individuals described as lunatics, raving mad and the countless other slang words used based on mental illness used as a form of attack, it does honestly turn your stomach.

It is deeply offensive

It would if it came from sane people.

When it comes from individuals who display symptoms of serious real psychological problems themselves, it's simply projection, which is just sad (or funny, depending on your level of cynicism).

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1

I think you triggered him ;)

He seems to be playing the autism card now. The thing is, I know several people with autism, and none of them exhibit any sign of being utter twats. It really isn't one of the symptoms of the condition.

If he was attacking everyone, and not just the same group of specific people, all of whom have one thing in common - exposing his hypocrisy, lies and idiocy - then he might have a point. However trying to excuse his repeated despicable and targeted behaviour on a condition is a new low for him. I fully realise there's a spectrum, but he seems to be off into the gamma-ray frequencies.

I'd also like to know how someone with a crippling disease manages to swan around shows taking videos....

Oh well, I'm sure it isn't more lies, lol.

He has a very rare variant of it, called Twatism.... :P

• Like 3

Not to stir the pot but everyone's least favorite online living example of a walking personification of pathological lying and weaponized autism attacked all of these conversions, AtariAge, and Cyrano Jones in multiple postings in one of the Atari 8-bit groups on Facebook last week. The other moderators kindly removed the lying individual's moronic comments.

It was most unfortunate to not have grabbed screen captures of the hilariously stupid comments but in summary, they spoke to how *all* ST-to-Jaguar conversions are [allegedly] piracy, how the Jaguar scene is a waste of time [because Atari 8-bit is where it's at!], how Sloth himself called out Cyrano Jones, how there's far more demand for commercial Atari 8-bit game cartridges than there is for commercial 5200 game cartridges, and how Video61 *totally* outsells AtariAge... :)

Seriously, how hard is it for a third-party to get someone institutionalized in the UK? Do we need to set up a Kickstarter/GoFundMe/Patreon to get this done?

Why is it that every time there's drama here on AtariAge, or related to Atari on other forums, I completely miss it?

I absolutely should be involved in this drama, it shouldn't exist without me.

Is Video 61 involved here? I used to buy from them all the time, but it hasn't really been on my raydar. I haven't had any bad experiences with them... is the owner flipping out or something?

I'm no expert ( i mean my ex landlords and close friends were only in the Met, then an inspector and Sgt in Devon and Cornwall police, i myself served as a Special Constable for over 3 years in Devon and Cornwall constabulary so all my background checks still stand.. ) but in UK law the police have no jurisdiction. ..

I hope you take this in the manner in which I intend it. But all those names being referenced and the term Constable... really makes me want to go watch some Monty Python.

I had my daughter watch Search for the Holy Grail about a year ago, and she still (routinely) hops around pretending to bang coconuts and sings the theme song.

I sat her down and began watching the first few episodes of Flying Circus before I realized I had to keep fast-forwarding... lot of inappropriate innuendoes! Haha... I'll have to wait until she's older.

• Like 1

Absolutely fabulous. Isn´t it interesting how the gameplay of these classics feels "slow" by today's standards? I already noticed this when playing Xenon II on the Jag. 30 years back this was acknowledged as "frantic action". Back in the day we were sitting in front of the monitor with friends getting red faces and sweaty hands from all the action on the screen and the sheer amount of enemies.

Edited by steve-vx
  • Like 2

Absolutely fabulous. Isn´t it interesting how the gameplay of these classics feels "slow" by today's standards? I already noticed this when playing Xenon II on the Jag. 30 years back this was acknowledged as "frantic action". Back in the day we were sitting in front of the monitor with friends getting red faces and sweaty hands from all the action on the screen and the sheer amount of enemies.

Yes, I remember getting R-Type FINAL on the PS2 and thinking the same thing at the time. It was slick, it was fun, but it felt like a snails pace compared to Gradius V. Still a great game though :)

• Like 1

It seems as if this kind of games can be played more effectively by an experienced player. Then again, some things never change: my personal highscore in Pac-Man for instance is nailed at 59.650 for years. And I own a cabinet to play it as it was used to be played to rule out any hardware variations. I do not seem to make any progress. I guess hand-eye-brain-coordination work differently on different types of games. It can not only be age.

Edited by steve-vx
  • Like 2

Does anyone have the manual for the Atari version of R-Type 2?

The title screen says "1 or 2 Players" but literally just sits there waiting for fire, or space (but doesn't do anything if you press space)

It also has a 32 effect soundbank, but only appears to ever use 3 of them? Is there a toggle option for music/fx I can't see?

If you got it, upload it please!

@82-T/A:

As a huge Monty Python fan myself, the films stand up to repeated viewing, simply timeless comedy.

https://youtu.be/liIlW-ovx0Y

Sorry for the off-topic, but I recently watched an interview with John Cleese where he said the Coconut bit was actually thought up because they couldn't afford horses. Absolutely brilliant.

Back on topic; I am not sure about R-type 2, but just hearing the fame mentioned makes the music pop into my head for the first one. Used to play the hell out of it on every platform I could find it on, but fairly certain the Arcade version cheats because you can't fit your ship in the gap you are supposed to on the level with the giant ship.

• Like 2