IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

Cyrano, if you're looking for another project is there any chance you might consider Steel Talons for the ST for your next conversion?

As you're aware, it came out at the arcade first but was ported to Lynx, ST, and even Falcon. I loved the arcade and Lynx versions and it seems a shame that the Jaguar never got what could have been an excellent conversion.

Given the Jags 3D creds I always thought it could have done a good job of a flat shaded arcade flight sim. Sadly we never got to see that. Perhaps a conversion of the ST version but running at 13Mhz instead of 8 would go some way to fixing that?

Atari 1040 STFM with Blitter, 20MB HDD and SM125 monitor, 2* Atari Jaguar, 7* Atari Lynx (inc 1 with McWill mod) ... And as many games as I can get away with!

Cyrano, if you're looking for another project is there any chance you might consider Steel Talons for the ST for your next conversion?

As you're aware, it came out at the arcade first but was ported to Lynx, ST, and even Falcon. I loved the arcade and Lynx versions and it seems a shame that the Jaguar never got what could have been an excellent conversion.

Given the Jags 3D creds I always thought it could have done a good job of a flat shaded arcade flight sim. Sadly we never got to see that. Perhaps a conversion of the ST version but running at 13Mhz instead of 8 would go some way to fixing that?

Atari 1040 STFM with Blitter, 20MB HDD and SM125 monitor, 2* Atari Jaguar, 7* Atari Lynx (inc 1 with McWill mod) ... And as many games as I can get away with!

I don't think there is an ST Steel Talons?

There is Thunderhawk, which is much, much better. And The Killing Cloud.

• Like 1

Fucking Ghouls and Ghosts! Holy shit! :) now thats a GOOD game!

Very nice!

Good job!

The whole "two faced, let's pretend to be nice" thing isn't going to work for you Jeff. Go away. Run back to your sycophantic fantasy fucktard facebook group where you continue to allow people to slag off and libel AtariAge, myself, Jagware and anyone else who has pointed out what an utterly toxic malignancy on the retro scene Kieren is. Please tell him the libel lawyer loves him, and to keep digging his own grave.

The whole "two faced, let's pretend to be nice" thing isn't going to work for you Jeff. Go away. Run back to your sycophantic fantasy fucktard facebook group where you continue to allow people to slag off and libel AtariAge, myself, Jagware and anyone else who has pointed out what an utterly toxic malignancy on the retro scene Kieren is. Please tell him the libel lawyer loves him, and to keep digging his own grave.

I just thought it was a decent game for you to port. No need to go full on psycho there buddy.

May I suggest some coffee?

Steel Talons was Falcon only was it not?

I seem to remember it being one of the supposed 'Flagship' titles Atari UK were promising that would showcase the Falcon hardware as a games platform and prove Atari were taking games support on Falcon seriously.

Still at least it finally got a release unlike Space Junk

Killing Cloud was all kinds of awesome.

Pity they had to pull the prisoner confession sequence from the final release though.

I don't think there is an ST Steel Talons?

There is Thunderhawk, which is much, much better. And The Killing Cloud.

You and Lost Dragon are both correct, my apologies. I'd never seen it on sale in shops on either Falcon or ST but saw the Falcon video and Google returned results that suggested it was an ST title. Basically, all the websites claiming an ST release really meant it was released on Falcon. Which is a shame, as I'm sure the ST could have done a good job. Also, my copy of the TOSSEC archive doesn't have it either. I should have researched before posting.

• Like 1

☺ No worries.

I seem to remember Bob Brodie telling various sites Steel Talons would be headed to the Jaguar....

I've seen people make unsubstantiated claims it was headed to the Panther...

It's down as a prototype for the 7800..

Little wonder confusion can crop up regarding which Atari formats it actually appeared on.

It's listed as ST on Wikipedia as well, so don't feel bad about any confusion.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

☺ No worries.

I seem to remember Bob Brodie telling various sites Steel Talons would be headed to the Jaguar....

I've seen people make unsubstantiated claims it was headed to the Panther...

It's down as a prototype for the 7800..

Little wonder confusion can crop up regarding which Atari formats it actually appeared on.

It's listed as ST on Wikipedia as well, so don't feel bad about any confusion.

That brings up the question, how much harder would it be to port a Falcon game over to the Jaguar?

Steel Talons would surely shine on it. Also, I think it already supports the Jaguar controller, so the controls wouldn't even need to be modified. Though I am thinking that is probably the easiest bits.

Crown of Creation 3d would certainly shine on the Jag, though I think that still doesn't have a proper crack.

Mostly just curious how hard it would be to do a Falcon port. Seems you have the ST porting doen to a science!

• Like 1

Ghouls and Ghosts - without a doubt a game designed to get every coin out of your pocket in the arcade by being so bloody hard... Can we have an infinite lives option please, I never played this on the ST so don't know if it has a continue option built in, if not, I will need one as this was such a hard game.

Amazing work seeing all these games on the Jaguar and all so playable as well, I can not thank you enough for bringing back so many great memories each time you choose the games to port, and then seeing them on a cartridge in a proper brilliant quality box is really the icing on the cake.

• Like 3

Apologies for hijacking thread just for a moment..

@Leech:I have never played Falcon Steel Talons (only the Genesis and Lynx versions..sloth like frame rate on both ruined the experience for myself).

Did the Falcon version feature the realistic mode controls?

Over to 1 of the coin op team:

Real" heli-mode is just what the name implies. It models the aircraft

dynamics of a Blackhawk 67 much more accurately. When you "nose down"

the chopper, it does just that. After nosing down to an appropriate

angle, RETURN THE STICK TO CENTER TO MAINTAIN THAT ANGLE, and build up

speed appropriately. There is no mechanism in a chopper to figure

out that you just wnat to hold the stick forward to maintain an angle

of attack. The pitch of the rotors stays fixed and the chopper will

continue to roll down. By returning the stick to center, you neutralize

the blades and the chopper will maintain the angle as stated above. If

you want to level out, you must pull BACK on the stick to correct your

attitude. Note, in many modern day choppers, including the Blackhawk,

the throttle and collective are co-ordinated. This is what we are

simulating here.

Why fly in real mode? Well, for one thing we increase the flight ceiling

on many of the levels. This is a significant advantage in and of itself,

especially in head-to-head competition. Secondly, it is possible to

attain higher speeds this way. Also, in head-to-head, it is MUCH EASIER

to hold a steady lock which is absolutely necessary when using the FARR

rockets. Additionally it is WAY COOL to do rolls and loops (which the

Blackhawk is really capable of!) if you can get enough altitude to pull

off the maneuvre. In short, it is WELL worth it.

- Ed Rotberg -

- Atari Games -

- Co-programmer STEEL TALONS -

That's pretty awesome! I actually haven't tried it on the Falcon myself, I should hook mine up and give it a try. Last time I did anything on my Falcon was testing out OIDs with Jagpad support, which is way fun. My TT030 is the one that is connected now.

Yeah, sorry for derailing the thread, just wondered about conversions from the Falcon version to Jag. Guess the hard part would be if it used Videl / DSP stuff extensively. Or the 68030.

Ha, has anyone tried going the opposite way, porting Jag games to the ST? These should probably be threads on their own...

• Like 2