IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

I'm going to be picking up a couple of these ports boxed from Gaz. Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters is one, and then I'm debating between Rick Dangerous and Rick Dangerous 2. Do you guys have a preference between 1 and 2? Better to start with the original and work my way up to the sequel, or does 2 blow it away and I should skip the original? Thanks!

On 7/11/2019 at 6:00 PM, sixersfan105 said:

Which ST ports did you want on physical cart? You can PM @Gaztee and he in all likelihood will be able to sell you a cart-only copy or complete in box set of the port or ports that interest you. It's my understanding he's one of the only guys that have been given the green light to do this. 

R-Type, Turtles, and Empire Strikes Back especially

On 7/11/2019 at 11:21 PM, sixersfan105 said:

Yes, they do. I just picked up some Jag titles from them (albeit not Telegames-specific games, but non-Telegames Jaguar games). Their stock is hit or miss but the rule of thumb is if a title on their site has a price tag next to it, it's in stock, while a zeroed out price means it's out of stock. Looks like Worms is currently in stock for £62.50. Songbird Productions also has Worms in stock for $99.95. 

To your edit, it took me about two years to get a complete 7800 collection and one year to get a complete XEGS collection. And a whole lot of dollars!

On your point about the complete 7800 collection... I've been trying to get a complete PAL 7800 collection but ONE game has eluded me! It's the PAL version of Tomcat: F14 Fighter Simulator. I cannot find it anywhere and I've been hunting for about 3 years. 

1 minute ago, CommodoreCEO said:

On your point about the complete 7800 collection... I've been trying to get a complete PAL 7800 collection but ONE game has eluded me! It's the PAL version of Tomcat: F14 Fighter Simulator. I cannot find it anywhere and I've been hunting for about 3 years. 

Not trying to veer too off topic here about my signature while on a thread about ST ports on Jaguar, but I'm referring to NTSC releases when it comes to the 7800 - I wouldn't have much use for PAL releases. Best of luck trying to secure a Tomcat in PAL format!

• Like 1

CyranoJ, have you looked into porting Ninja Spirit?  I was reading the article about it in this month's Retro Gamer magazine and they showed a screenshot of an ST version.  Loved that game on the TG-16 so I thought it might be fun.  Though the article hinted the ST version might not be as good.

13 hours ago, thanatos said:

CyranoJ, have you looked into porting Ninja Spirit?  I was reading the article about it in this month's Retro Gamer magazine and they showed a screenshot of an ST version.  Loved that game on the TG-16 so I thought it might be fun.  Though the article hinted the ST version might not be as good.

I went from the C64 version to the ST version and be warned the ST version is bloody frustrating to play.

It's a lot harder than the coin-op ( you seem to have a massive hit box surrounding your player for a start, your weapons are slow, yet the enemies and their attacks are fast) , there are no sound FX. 

Frame rate is better than the Amiga version, but that's cold comfort.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

I went from the C64 version to the ST version and be warned the ST version is bloody frustrating to play.

It's a lot harder than the coin-op ( you seem to have a massive hit box surrounding your player for a start, your weapons are slow, yet the enemies and their attacks are fast) , there are no sound FX. 

Frame rate is better than the Amiga version, but that's cold comfort.

Thanks for the info.  I've never played the ST version, only TG-16, which was a great port.  I wouldn't expect anyone to work on inferior stuff.  And I wouldn't ask for any specific ports anyway, since I'm not the one doing the work!  I was just being curious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thanatos said:

Thanks for the info.  I've never played the ST version, only TG-16, which was a great port.  I wouldn't expect anyone to work on inferior stuff.  And I wouldn't ask for any specific ports anyway, since I'm not the one doing the work!  I was just being curious.

I swear the method of doing the ports has been shared?  I wish I had time to learn, I'd attempt to do some as well.  Though I'd like some games that were not on the ST ported, since the Jag is much more capable than the ST.  Not that I'm saying the ports aren't awesome, but getting some of the CD32 stuff ported would be amazing!  Or something from the SegaCD.  Okay, can you tell I'd like to put better use to my JagCD?  :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leech said:

I swear the method of doing the ports has been shared?  I wish I had time to learn, I'd attempt to do some as well.  Though I'd like some games that were not on the ST ported, since the Jag is much more capable than the ST.  Not that I'm saying the ports aren't awesome, but getting some of the CD32 stuff ported would be amazing!  Or something from the SegaCD.  Okay, can you tell I'd like to put better use to my JagCD?  :P

Know what takes far less time than porting a Sega CD game? Buying a Sega CD game and playing it on a Sega CD.

• Haha 2

C64 Ninja Spirt was tough, but still very enjoyable to play and Chris Butler and Martin Walker did some great work on the conversion.

But then Chris loved the coin-op, apparently only undertaking the C64 conversion of Powerdrift so he would get conversion duties for C64 Ninja Spirt.

Totally different team for the ST version (Henry S.Clark,  Andrew Pang, Dave Hasler etc)  and i do not think i have ever seen any of the team talk about the conversion, so no real understanding of just what went wrong exactly.

ST version used as basis for Amiga version:jerky scrolling,  limited colour palette etc...so it does not look as if Activision put that much effort into these conversions, sadly ?

TG-16 version is a thing of wonder though.

4 hours ago, madman said:

Know what takes far less time than porting a Sega CD game? Buying a Sega CD game and playing it on a Sega CD.

Taking a game you played before, and porting it for another platform and play it again, is the 90's version of "New Game+". 

10 hours ago, madman said:

Ha, same could be said of ports for any game, right?  I do have a SegaCD by the way.  For me it is all about the controllers, and I enjoy the controllers on the Jaguar just a little bit more than the Genesis ones.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, leech said:

Ha, same could be said of ports for any game, right?  I do have a SegaCD by the way.  For me it is all about the controllers, and I enjoy the controllers on the Jaguar just a little bit more than the Genesis ones.

I honestly do think the cool thing about Atari ST games (or any home computer games of the time) being ported is that they weren't as straight forward as plugging a cart in or putting a CD in, also, I hear of and have experienced old disks acting a bit flaky.  It seems with most of the Atari ST games we're getting a few benefits that weren't available in their original form as well.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2019 at 6:24 AM, leech said:

I swear the method of doing the ports has been shared?

Yup, it's easy.

Step 1: Be CyranoJ.

Step 2: You know what to do.

(as he explained more than once, there's no automatic method to convert ST games. You have to disassemble the game and understand how it works internally, which means having an extensive knowledge of both the ST and the Jaguar hardware and software. Which is why almost nobody else is doing that.)

• Like 4

On 7/27/2019 at 10:47 PM, Stage_1_Boss said:

I honestly do think the cool thing about Atari ST games (or any home computer games of the time) being ported is that they weren't as straight forward as plugging a cart in or putting a CD in, also, I hear of and have experienced old disks acting a bit flaky.  It seems with most of the Atari ST games we're getting a few benefits that weren't available in their original form as well.

Just need to figure out how to add MIDI ports to the Jag and get MIDI music added to some ports!  Actually would love to see a game console have a port of ScummVM.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 4:49 PM, CommodoreCEO said:

I know we recently saw Speedball 2 getting a Jaguar port, but I'd love to see more Bitmap Brothers games getting a Jaguar port... especially The Chaos Engine! I think it would work well on the Jaguar, particularly in co-op mode. 

don't forget Zenon 2: Megablast, another Bitmap Bros. classic, which has been ported over and is available for purchase here at the AtariAge Store.

24 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

don't forget Zenon 2: Megablast, another Bitmap Bros. classic, which has been ported over and is available for purchase here at the AtariAge Store.

Last I checked, Xenon 2 was out of stock.  I'll probably be ordering a bunch of stuff in a few weeks, though I swear I pre-ordered the two new games and a mouse adapter, but can't find any emails about it.  :P  Maybe I dreamed of it, or decided to wait.  Stupid, lousy brain getting old.

6 minutes ago, leech said:

Last I checked, Xenon 2 was out of stock.  I'll probably be ordering a bunch of stuff in a few weeks, though I swear I pre-ordered the two new games and a mouse adapter, but can't find any emails about it.  :P  Maybe I dreamed of it, or decided to wait.  Stupid, lousy brain getting old.

I can confirm you placed an order for those items, although the email address is slightly different than the one you're using for the forum.  You can change your store email if you login to your account.  You should have received an order confirmation email upon placing the order.  I'll also be sending an update soon to everyone who pre-ordered Speedball 2 and/or Fantasy World Dizzy.

..Al

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

I can confirm you placed an order for those items, although the email address is slightly different than the one you're using for the forum.  You can change your store email if you login to your account.  You should have received an order confirmation email upon placing the order.  I'll also be sending an update soon to everyone who pre-ordered Speedball 2 and/or Fantasy World Dizzy.

..Al

Thanks Al!  You're right, I forgot my store one and forum one are different (I own my own email server, so have spliced out which emails I use for different things.)  I do have the email in my other account, must have missed it when I was looking for the confirmation.  Is there any word on getting more Xenon 2's in stock?