IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

Like many of us, I have really been enjoying all the ST ports that have come our way and the quality of the conversions by CyranoJ have been superb. I for one particularly appreciate the quality of the cartridges, boxes and manuals produced by Gaztee! 

I wondered, other than the 21 games listed as either completed or work in progress, if there's plans to port others not currently listed? Personally, I'd be chomping at the bit to get boxed copies of Batman The Movie (especially with another anniversary on the cards), Parasol Stars and Lemmings. What are the chances of any of these being considered as port conversions? 

Thanks and keep up the fantastic work. 

On 8/1/2019 at 12:54 AM, Zerosquare said:

I've done it. You need a bit of extra hardware, but it's not that complex. Dunno if CyranoJ is interested in adding MIDI support to the ports, though.

Zowie! MIDI ports! I remember being very excited when I first got my Jag with the potential of the Motorola DSP chip in the Jaguar as I imagined doing allsorts of sound processing a la Falcon opening up the Jag's multimedia capability. Making realtime effects and things. Still not got very far and I have read that the Jag DSP is a little different to the Falcon anyway. Adding MIDI ports sounds fascinating, would it be possible to create a synthesizer with a reasonable amount of individuality and control it with MIDI?

On 7/22/2019 at 10:49 PM, CommodoreCEO said:

I know we recently saw Speedball 2 getting a Jaguar port, but I'd love to see more Bitmap Brothers games getting a Jaguar port... especially The Chaos Engine! I think it would work well on the Jaguar, particularly in co-op mode. 

yes The Chaos Engine is a great game, perhaps the best game the Bitmap Brothers ever made

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, str0m said:

Hi, do any of the ones available to download in the thread, Badlands etc work on the SD cart? Would be great if they did as there are some real classics there which have been converted :)

Don't forget you can get them from Gaztee.... let the freeloading begin... I'm gonna need a macro :P

4 minutes ago, str0m said:

Sorry no offense meant, was just asking. Good that you are bringing games to the Jag

None taken, just the expected rush to download files that have been available to get from Gaz for a few years because you can now play them for free.... although you could skunkboard them anyway, so meh.  Heisted by my own Picard :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

None taken, just the expected rush to download files that have been available to get from Gaz for a few years because you can now play them for free.... although you could skunkboard them anyway, so meh.  Heisted by my own Picard :P

Reminds me, even though the SD Cart is closer to ever to being in my grasp, I still want to order a few from Gaz.  Namely Joust  and Gauntlet :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2019 at 9:47 PM, Stage_1_Boss said:

I honestly do think the cool thing about Atari ST games (or any home computer games of the time) being ported is that they weren't as straight forward as plugging a cart in or putting a CD in, also, I hear of and have experienced old disks acting a bit flaky.  It seems with most of the Atari ST games we're getting a few benefits that weren't available in their original form as well.

At the very least, getting to use the multi-button JagPads on the Jaguar with the ports is a huge plus since very few - if any - ST games have been modded to support the ST Power Pads/JagPads when used on an Atari STe or Falcon030...unfortunately. There's been a lot of work in that scene over the years to get various games to work with different versions of TOS, with different memory configurations and CPUs, with different monitors [monochrome], on ST systems [STe, TT, Falcon030, etc] that the games didn't previously work on, and installing on hard drives, but adding support for the JagPads has been a huge disappointment there.

On 8/3/2019 at 8:47 AM, CyranoJ said:

For the handful of games that use midi but not GEM AES it isn't worth it, especially for the 2 people who might be bothered to try it. May as well make a falcon game at that point lol.

MIDI MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZEEEEEEEEEE...

Sure, the rights are an issue, and one could argue that using the JagLink or CatBox/ScatBox Network makes it unnecessary but having a MIDI adapter and that game would mean the Jag could theoretically be included in a MIDI MAZE ring with STs and Atari 8-bits. There seems to be a revival of interest on YouTube for proving 16 GameBoys can be connected with adapters to play the licensed non-Atari platform adaptation FaceBall 2000 in a ring.

Personally, I find it amusing FaceBall 2000 runs so clunky on a 1989 Nintendo GameBoy than MIDI Maze does on an Atari 8-bit computer/XEGS whose chipset primary comes from 1978/79, but I digress.

2 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

Personally, I find it amusing FaceBall 2000 runs so clunky on a 1989 Nintendo GameBoy than MIDI Maze does on an Atari 8-bit computer/XEGS whose chipset primary comes from 1978/79, but I digress.

Like many consoles of the era, the display is tile-based on the Gameboy. Which is exactly the kind of display you don't want to run a 3D FPS.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Wow, that game looks amazing!!!

Only the Atari ST and Amiga got decent home ports of it. The Master System game is horrible, which is a shame because the SMS port of the original Shinobi is the best version of the game to this day.

Shadow Dancer: Secret of Shinobi is an entirely different game on Genesis. And it's a fantastic game. But so is the arcade original, and very few people have had a chance to play it.

• Like 1