IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

13 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Wow, busy today CJ.  Thanks!

Now I really want to get the Saint Jaguar GD cart to try the zombie shooter.   And... maybe get an Amiga mouse working.  :P

They'll run on Skunkboards as well.

19 minutes ago, swapd0 said:

Do you have a Yamaha emulator running on the DSP or samples captured from the ST?

Some of the sounds are actually samples... so it just plays those.

Others.. Steem Engine has raw autdio output ;)  

To be clear, the Jaguar is nowhere near fast enough to emulate an ST.  There's a lot of bodgery and tricks going on, and speed is preferable to accuracy if the end result is to be playable.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

To be clear, the Jaguar is nowhere near fast enough to emulate an ST.  There's a lot of bodgery and tricks going on, and speed is preferable to accuracy if the end result is to be playable.

Too bad some of the original games didn't follow that philosophy... some of the games certainly look great, but play like slugs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looking at the first post, there’s only about 12 ports that haven’t made it to cart yet, and half are incomplete.  I know there’s been some recent additions in the last few pages of comments, (beast busters, tennis, thundercats, etc).  There’s been a lot of ports and it’s always exciting for new cart batches every few months and learnin what they will be.  Thanks again CJ and Gaztee. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/13/2020 at 1:52 AM, BuddyBuddies said:

Is the entire ST library getting ported to the Jaguar? ?

Sounds like a good idea to me!

@CyranoJ, is this process super manual and highly dependent on your brain, or is there a way a guy who used to be pretty decent with Motorola assembly but hasn't touched it in 15 years could do some grunt work?

My personal list of ST holy grails are Time Bandits, Uridium, Airball, Weird Dreams, and S.T.U.N. Runner (or at least it would be if the ST S.T.U.N. Runner were not atrocious.).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

is this process super manual and highly dependent on your brain, or is there a way a guy who used to be pretty decent with Motorola assembly but hasn't touched it in 15 years could do some grunt work?

Some of these have taken upwards of 2 years (Defender of the Crown) to complete, and we have an upcoming licensed release that took over 3.  It's not some emulator you can simply throw a binary in, these are all unique patches made without any source code, directly into the binaries and are very, very manual and tedious to make.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Makes sense. I wish there were a plausible way I could help.

All good, just play them and have fun - or look at RAPTOR API/rB+ and get involved in making games!

4 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

I heard someone say "Marble Madness" today, totally out of context of anything.  Made me wonder if this has ever been considered for the Jaguar. 

Jagmarble can be found here: http://www.mdgames.de/jag_eng.htm

• Like 3