IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

12 hours ago, leech said:

I really should order some of these, Gauntlet and Joust specifically, as they look damn good boxed. 

I've never cared for box collecting. I'm more interested in the games themselves. I usually throw them away and get plastic cases. But I'm crazy like that...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tripled79 said:

I've never cared for box collecting. I'm more interested in the games themselves. I usually throw them away and get plastic cases. But I'm crazy like that...

Ha, in that case you just order the cart version of these?  I mean for games like Gauntlet and Joust, I would rather just play the Arcade versions under mame.  Though one of these days I think I want to own a full cabinet of Gauntlet II.

• 2 weeks later...

Beast Masters is pretty fun! But fuck me the old music in that jeez sounds like something is dying and it's pretty cringing! I had never played the game back in the day so that's probably how it was on the OG system. But the game itself is fun. I need to get better at it to get further!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some cheats... because... it's been ages ;)

Commando:

Infinite Lives: Hold numpad 5 on boot

Dragonbreed:

Next level: Numpad 1

Inf Lives: Numpad 2

Invincibility: Numpad 3

Next Dragon Weapon: Numpad 0

Bionic Commando:

Flying Shark:

Infinite Lives: Hold numpad 8 on boot

Midnight Resistance:

1943:

Invulnerability: Hold numpad 9 on boot

Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters:

Infinite Lives and bombs: Hold numpad 5 on boot

Rick Dangerous II:

Cheat Menu: Hold numpad 0+2+7+9 during game

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles:

Infinite Lives: Hold 0 on boot

Ghouls'n'Ghosts:

Infinite Lives: Hold Up+A+C on boot

Arkanoid: Revenge of DoH:

'DALEY' cheat: Press 7 on control menu

'MAGENTA' cheat: Press 8 on control menu

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Some cheats... because... it's been ages ;)

Commando:

Dragonbreed:

Next level: Numpad 1

Inf Lives: Numpad 2

Invincibility: Numpad 3

Next Dragon Weapon: Numpad 0

Bionic Commando:

Flying Shark:

Infinite Lives: Hold numpad 8 on boot

Midnight Resistance:

1943:

Invulnerability: Hold numpad 9 on boot

Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters:

Infinite Lives and bombs: Hold numpad 5 on boot

Rick Dangerous II:

Cheat Menu: Hold numpad 0+2+7+9 during game

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles:

Infinite Lives: Hold 0 on boot

Ghouls'n'Ghosts:

Infinite Lives: Hold Up+A+C on boot

Arkanoid: Revenge of DoH:

'DALEY' cheat: Press 7 on control menu

'MAGENTA' cheat: Press 8 on control menu

Hell yeah Hero Turtles here I come! If it'll allow holding 0 on boot from the skunk that is!

On 6/18/2019 at 7:13 PM, leech said:

Pretty sure the Ultima games were ported to the NES by Japanese companies, which is why they play exactly like the Japanese RPGs of the day.  I think it was '83 or '84 when we spent a full day of not turning off the 800XL and beat the first Ultima, we explored EVERYTHING, 24 hours straight (ah to be able to have the time and patience to do that again...)  Funny thing is, I've never been a big fan of any of the Final Fantasy games.  Though Dragon Warrior was good.  Then again I was very much a Sega / Atari fan, having the Sega Master System and the first Phantasy Star!

I think you missed the point that basically it would require the operating system of the ST to be ported to the Jaguar for that to work.  Defender of the Crown and Star Wars Arcade used direct hardware access, so ignored the OS.  I guess if there were some sort of ST emulator, if Hatari was ported or something.  But then at that point we'd want a keyboard adapter too.  :)  Cheaper to just buy an Atari ST or emulate one on a modern machine.

I'd love to see Phantasie updated and fixed and ported to the Jag, but it also uses GEM. 

What would be cool (though I could be wrong about this) if Cannon Fodder was ported from the ST with proper mouse support.  I don't think the Jag version supports that, and it is much more playable with the Mouse.  I think we already discussed Syndicate somewhere else, about that also being better with a mouse.

If I remember right GEM was open sourced ~20 years ago, tho that may have just been the DOS version.

Don’t know about TOS.

1 hour ago, tripled79 said:

I liked the various different sound options. Took me a while to figure out how to change it. But I like the arcade version of arkanoid. Joust, probably 2600...

It's funny but I originally did the 2600 sounds as a joke.  There were so many others, the Atari 8-bit being the first one I did and favorite, that were better.   So figured I'd throw in the 2600 to help make the set complete to represent all the other Atari consoles.

But the Atari 2600 was actually pretty good and ... better than the Atari ST version which is just sad.   :P

And Arkanoid was fun.   A lot of sounds to match up on that one.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

I doubt CJ's ports include any original TOS code ; there would be little reason to, when rewriting the few TOS functions games actually use is both simpler and use less ROM space.

You know its a full emulator and I just shove the disks into it and have them done in minutes with absolutely no effort or skill, right? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4