IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 3:30 PM, doctorclu said:

It's funny but I originally did the 2600 sounds as a joke.  There were so many others, the Atari 8-bit being the first one I did and favorite, that were better.   So figured I'd throw in the 2600 to help make the set complete to represent all the other Atari consoles.

But the Atari 2600 was actually pretty good and ... better than the Atari ST version which is just sad.   :P

The Atari ST version of Joust was the best version I had available to me when I was a kid, and, I dunno, I still like it as much as any that isn't the arcade. I spent goodness knows how many hours on it. So the sound seems very natural to me.

Funny thing about the ST version is that it was developed by The Rugby Circle, a two-person bedroom outfit who developed the Color Computer knockoff called Buzzard Bait (which is what I grew up playing before I was allowed to touch the ST :D). It cracks me up that they ripped off the game and then got hired to do the official ST port. It was a different time... (Here's a great Antic article about an ST graphics tool they developed for Joust with some eye-opening making-of details. They were located in the suburbs of Detroit, which was amazing to me as a kid. Game development?!? Here?!?! Well, that didn't last long...)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

The Atari ST version of Joust was the best version I had available to me when I was a kid, and, I dunno, I still like it as much as any that isn't the arcade. I spent goodness knows how many hours on it. So the sound seems very natural to me.

Funny thing about the ST version is that it was developed by The Rugby Circle, a two-person bedroom outfit who developed the Color Computer knockoff called Buzzard Bait (which is what I grew up playing before I was allowed to touch the ST :D). It cracks me up that they ripped off the game and then got hired to do the official ST port. It was a different time... (Here's a great Antic article about an ST graphics tool they developed for Joust with some eye-opening making-of details. They were located in the suburbs of Detroit, which was amazing to me as a kid. Game development?!? Here?!?! Well, that didn't last long...)

Makes me wonder what other development went on in Detroit.   Probably a lot, but no one wanted to admit it.  :P

I want to say ... (checks interwebs) ... yep Firestorm, at least the earlier years in the story, took place in Detroit.   I remember that was kinda cool how that city had their resident super hero and I collected Firestorm for years.   Aside from a cool State Fair edition of the X-Men not much seemed to happen in Dallas in the comic book world.

606459.thumb.jpg.8b8e0793eaab0784f3ef465ebd12a092.jpg

So all that said, cool about Detroit and the origin story of ST Joust development.   Graphically I think the game is amazing and I can see hiring the people who did Buzzard Bait having that prior experience.   Come to think of it, I remember that version.   I remember talking to CJ at one time about adding other sound versions and seeing the CoCo version among versions looked at.  He and I had other sound favorites, but was running out of space and just stuck with the Atari platforms and their sounds.

And a tip to the hat to Rugby Circle for their fine work on ST Joust.  :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought with Gaztee sending out his final boxes and games for what may be sometime it would be nice to look back on this and see where the ST ports started with Cyrano and see which ones made it to cartridge and box. It really has been amazing seeing games I love like Arkanoid get a cartridge run on the Jaguar. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, CLS said:

I see. What's his etsy store?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeleiadesGames

I had been meaning for some time to pick up the official box set for @phoboz's Wormhole 2000 (one of my most played Jaguar games) and Uwol: Quest for Money (orange is my favorite color and I've given up hope for a version with the sound fixed), and I'm really glad I did!

• Thanks 1

That would be tragic. Although the brexit has ruined the deal for me, customs ripped 40 EURO off my behind for the last two games.... I hope England invades soon, and we surrender and admit they were right all along. That’s really what they’re after.

The spice must flow.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do the skunk-locked roms work with pc Jaguar emulators? I tried a handful out recently and none of them worked with either Phoenix or retroarch, which I think is based on virtual jaguar. Retroarch gave me the Jag red screen of death. I haven't had a ton of success with jag emulation anyway, but would be nice to know if its an issue on my end or if its futile to try and boot these in pc emulators.

55 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

No they don't.

"People" are the reason we can't have nice things. Sorry, wish it were otherwise.

I've seen some chatter about how nice it will be to play the st ports with the gamedrive. Any idea if the skunk locked roms will work with the gamedrive on real hardware?

9 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

I've seen some chatter about how nice it will be to play the st ports with the gamedrive. Any idea if the skunk locked roms will work with the gamedrive on real hardware?

I've re-done them all locked to Skunk & GD in this very thread....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

I've re-done them all locked to Skunk & GD in this very thread....

Ah ok, I didn't see any reference to the gamedrive in the first page summary post or the last few pages, and this thread is so long I must have missed it.

Edited by sirlynxalot

1 minute ago, sirlynxalot said:

Ah ok, I didn't see any reference to the gamedrive in the first page summary post or the last few pages, and this thread is so long I must have missed it.

There's a bunch of them at the bottom of the first post.

Its all a bit of a mess in this thread, mainly because... who knew where we'd be years later with 50+ ROMs, so don't really expect anyone to trawl through it all.

I'm waiting for a forum upgrade that will allow in-post tables, then I'll remake the first post (again!) and hopefully be good from there.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the JagGD.  Wanted to ask a general question on these.  So I've got the old Smokemonster Everdrive pack, which had Jaguar set including retail, proto, demo, homebrew, etc, etc, and of course ST Conversions.  In that folder many game roms are there in multiple forms.  For instance, there's R-Type, which has a 1M "Atari ST" rom, a 4M "PD aka Playable Demo", and an "ST Conversion" dot rom.  I tried them all, the smaller one runs okay but has no sound.  The PD seems to run well, while the actual ST Conversion file runs too choppy. 

I suppose I should just stick to the links via this thread?  LOL!  But they ought to run at the same performance level via JagGD as they would on say a cart (burned into ROM)?

1 hour ago, Greg2600 said:

Finally got the JagGD.  Wanted to ask a general question on these.  So I've got the old Smokemonster Everdrive pack, which had Jaguar set including retail, proto, demo, homebrew, etc, etc, and of course ST Conversions.  In that folder many game roms are there in multiple forms.  For instance, there's R-Type, which has a 1M "Atari ST" rom, a 4M "PD aka Playable Demo", and an "ST Conversion" dot rom.  I tried them all, the smaller one runs okay but has no sound.  The PD seems to run well, while the actual ST Conversion file runs too choppy. 

I suppose I should just stick to the links via this thread?  LOL!  But they ought to run at the same performance level via JagGD as they would on say a cart (burned into ROM)?

Ok, thought this would come up. Lets do this just once and move on.

There are many packs of many of my binaries out there unapproved, or modified with wrong or random headers and filenames, with or without correct .mrq settings, bundled without asking for my permission - nothing I have released is PD, for example ... so with that said.

IF YOU DIDN'T GET IT FROM A DOWNLOAD LINK PROVIDED BY MYSELF, I AM NOT OFFERING OR PROVIDING ANY SUPPORT.
IF YOU ARE TRYING TO RUN PIRATED COPIES OF ANY OF MY GAMES (eg, REBOOTEROIDS, etc) I CERTAINLY WON'T OFFER YOU ANY ASSISTANCE - BUT I WILL *REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE*

All good, carry on :)

[EDITED]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

There are many packs of many of my binaries out there unapproved, or modified with wrong or random headers and filenames, with or without correct .mrq settings, bundled without asking for my permission - nothing I have released is PD, for example ... so with that said.

My question was mostly rhetorical anyway, thanks!  Just catching up, but seems the only games you had to patch were the Skunkboard ones?  All others (linked on first post) should load on the GD as is.

40 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Ok, thought this would come up. Lets do this just once and move on.

IF YOU DIDN'T GET IT FROM A DOWNLOAD LINK PROVIDED BY MYSELF, I AM NOT OFFERING OR PROVIDING ANY SUPPORT.

All good, carry on :)

Hey, I pirated all your things!  Why do they not work, and why is my desktop covered in Furry sites now?

All kidding aside, that is pretty funny there is an Everdrive pack out there with Jag roms, seeing as how they don't have a Jag cart yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

My question was mostly rhetorical anyway, thanks!  Just catching up, but seems the only games you had to patch were the Skunkboard ones?  All others (linked on first post) should load on the GD as is.

Correct, the skunkboard locked ROMs have been updated to also detect the GD drive as a valid run option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just an FYI, Arkanoid II, Ghouls/Ghosts, Alien Syndrome, Beast Busters, Empire Strikes Back GD-patches are on recent pages but not the first post.

Barbarian, Black Lamp, Bubble Bobble, Cybernoid, Fernandez Must Die, Guantlet II, IK+, Joust, Klax, Llamtron, Metrocross, Moon Patrol, Ninja Mission, Revenge of the Mutant Camels, Rick Dangerous 1, R-Type, Solomon's Key would all need to be patched for the SD/GD?

Edited by Greg2600

49 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Barbarian, Black Lamp, Bubble Bobble, Cybernoid, Fernandez Must Die, Guantlet II, IK+, Joust, Klax, Llamtron, Metrocross, Moon Patrol, Ninja Mission, Revenge of the Mutant Camels, Rick Dangerous 1, R-Type, Solomon's Key, Starglider II would all need to be patched for the SD/GD?

No.

Also: 

Metrocross, IK+, Starglider II - Unfinished.

Llamatron / Mutant Camels - Released binaries are incomplete/unfinished - they are in the AtariAge store as Jeff Minter Collection.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Where did you get your GD drive? I have ordered mine many moons ago from SainT and never get any updates. Also AA doesn´t have it in stock. Any hint would be highly appreciated.
Cheers