IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

Here is an attempt to collect all the current (and future) ST ports into a nice, easy to browse thread complete with videos and download links.

Video of most of these can be found on my youtube channel, captured via an Elgato - won't take you too long to find it, so won't pimp it out here.

No, I will not release unlocked ROMs. Please do not ask for unlocked ROMs.

NOTE: The Skunkboard/GameDrive locked ROMs *WILL* work on Rich Whitehouse's BigPEmu with "Force GD" enabled in the options.

If you use the roms this way then please consider joining Rich's patreon.

I'd like to credit _orion (who wrote the original GPU planar to chunky routine - which none of these patches use) and SCPCD (who has refined it through several iterations into the streamlined pipeline feeding monster that it currently is) which, modified again, is used to render the ST screens. Various patches also use the U235SE or the Zerosquare Sound Engine. All the patches contain a very streamlined version of RAPTOR, used as the 'glue' in the 'simulation core'.

I have removed incomplete games, there's no point keeping them here as they don't work properly anyway. 

MRQ files are to be found throughout this thread. All ROMs will need the 2048 byte eeprom setting.

Commando, Buggy Boy and Spike in Transylvania will not be appearing here. Don't ask, you won't get a response.

I'm sure I've missed some things, I'll try to fix up as we go. 

TITLE Notes: Gaztee?

1943   Y
Action Fighter   Y
Alien Syndrome   N
Arkanoid II: Revenge of DoH Mouse and rotary support Y
Badlands Arcade music Y
Barbarian (Palace) Recommend the versions from F.L. over this one Y
Beast Busters Mouse support Y
Bionic Commando   Y
Black Lamp Music only, no SFX Y
Bubble Bobble Arcade Music only, no SFX Y
Chaos Engine Available to purchase from AtariAge N
Custodian Available to purchase from Piko Interactive N
Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine Music only, no SFX Y
Cybernoid II: The Revenge Music only, no SFX Y
Darius+ Amiga music N
Defender of the Crown Available to purchase from AtariAge N
Dragonbreed   Y
Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters   Y
Flying Shark   Y
Fantasy World Dizzy Available to purchase from AtariAge N
Fernandez Must Die   Y
Gauntlet II Teamtap support! Y
Ghouls'n'Ghosts   Y
Gods Available to purchase from AtariAge N
Golden Axe Amiga music N
Golden Axe Atari ST music N
Gridrunner Available to purchase from AtariAge N
Head Over Heels Available to purchase from Piko Interactive N
Impossamole! Available to purchase from Piko Interactive N
Joust! Multi system SFX and added sountrack Y
Klax Music only, no SFX - runs too fast Y
Llamatron Available to purchase from AtariAge N
Loopz Available to purchase from Songbird Productions N
Midnight Resistance Arcade music Y
Moon Patrol   Y
Mr Heli Amiga music Y
Ninja Mission Music only, no SFX Y
Operation: Thunderbolt   N
Passing Shot   N
Rampage! Teamtap support! Y
Revenge of the Mutant Camels Available to purchase from AtariAge N
Rick Dangerous Runs too fast Y
Rick Dangerous II   Y
R-Type    
R-Type II   N
Solomon's Key Music only, no SFX Y
Speedball II: Brutal Deluxe Available to purchase from AtariAge N
Star Wars Arcade Arcade music and speech added, mouse support Y
Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back Amiga music, mouse support Y
Star Wars Return of the Jedi Amiga music N
Stormbringer Available to purchase from AtariAge N
Strider Amiga music N
Stunt Car Racer GPU accelerated version Y
Switchblade Available to purchase from Piko Interactive N
TMHT- Arcade   Y
Treasure Island Dizzy Available to purchase from AtariAge N
Xenon II: Megablast! Available to purchase from AtariAge N

----- MRQ FILES -----

Fernandez Must Die.mrqEscape From the Planet of the Robot Monsters.mrqEmpire Strikes Back.mrqDragonbreed.mrqDeflektor.mrqCybernoid II - The Revenge.mrqCybernoid - The Fighting Machine.mrqBubble Bobble Arcade.mrqBlack Lamp.mrqBionic Commando.mrqBarbarian.mrqBadlands.mrqArkanoid - Revenge of DoH.mrqAction Fighter.mrq1943.mrqTMHT-Arcade.mrqStunt Car Racer.mrqStar Wars Arcade.mrqSolomons Key.mrqR-Type2.mrqR-Type.mrqRick Dangerous.mrqRick Dangerous 2.mrqRampage.mrqNinja Mission.mrqMr HELI.mrqMoon Patrol.mrqMidnight Resistance.mrqKlax.mrqJoust.mrqGhouls'n'Ghosts.mrqGauntlet II.mrqFlying Shark.mrq

• Like 45
  • Thanks 4

YES!!!!! Xenon II ! Thank you Bitmap Brothers and CyranoJ! It is mind boggling that this is actually happening.

I noticed The Stare Quake link leads to the Super Sprint thread.

Also, it seems like "Return to Genesis" had a rough port at some point... :?

Edited by lachoneus

YES!!!!! Xenon II ! Thank you Bitmap Brothers and CyranoJ! It is mind boggling that this is actually happening.

I noticed The Stare Quake link leads to the Super Sprint thread.

Also, it seems like "Return to Genesis" had a rough port at some point... :?

Links fixed, RtG added :)

• Like 3

Looks like you guys have mastered ST/STE and Amiga hardware, YM chips, and the POKEY. Would it be possible to do the same with Sega Genesis/Mega Drive chips or even something like the Atari Games System 1 Board? I think the only issues with System 1 would be the Jaguar's 68000 having to do the duties originally written for a 68010 and the TI speech synthesis chip. But the Gauntlet arcade ROM running on the Jaguar would be incredible. Then again, Tengen's Gauntlet IV on the Genesis is essentially the same thing with added bells and whistles.

Impressive stuff!

Looks like you guys have mastered ST/STE and Amiga hardware, YM chips, and the POKEY. Would it be possible to do the same with Sega Genesis/Mega Drive chips or even something like the Atari Games System 1 Board? I think the only issues with System 1 would be the Jaguar's 68000 having to do the duties originally written for a 68010 and the TI speech synthesis chip. But the Gauntlet arcade ROM running on the Jaguar would be incredible. Then again, Tengen's Gauntlet IV on the Genesis is essentially the same thing with added bells and whistles.

Impressive stuff!

It would be possible if you find someone who knows the Megadrive inside out, and also the Jaguar inside out. Sorry, that's not me :)

• Like 4

It would be possible if you find someone who knows the Megadrive inside out, and also the Jaguar inside out. Sorry, that's not me :)

Its also possible if you know lots about one of the machines and are willing to learn the other. Its probably not going to be an optimal solution that way but you can still get some good results out of the conversion process.

Its also possible if you know lots about one of the machines and are willing to learn the other. Its probably not going to be an optimal solution that way but you can still get some good results out of the conversion process.

I'd say only if there's commented source code. If you are taking a raw binary dump... well, good luck with that.

I'd say only if there's commented source code. If you are taking a raw binary dump... well, good luck with that.

Its not the same complexity but when I did a Beeb to 7800 port I didn't know anything about the Beeb and managed to get it going from a RAM dump and subsequent disassembly. Unless the game is absolutely pushing the hardware (on the source platform) programmers tend to be quite methodical in their approach.

There's still 3 youtube movies linked directly ..... we should fix that ;) (maybe not Xenon 2)

And on the topic of "port this, port that, it's easy this, it's doable that" I'd just feel like to say "THANK YOU" to CJ and leave it at that.

If he cares enough to port anything else from whatever platform he chooses to source from even better, but as it stands it is already awesome.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 5

There's still 3 youtube movies linked directly ..... we should fix that ;) (maybe not Xenon 2)

And on the topic of "port this, port that, it's easy this, it's doable that" I'd just feel like to say "THANK YOU" to CJ and leave it at that.

If he cares enough to port anything else from whatever platform he chooses to source from even better, but as it stands it is already awesome.

The three movies are the ones without download links :)

Thank you for the 'thank you' :)

I started doing these to see if they could, then it was because it was fun. I don't have any goal, but i'd like to get the complete (we're at 21) to match Atari's release count.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Notes:

Music only

Can the games with music only have sound effects added, or does the game code don't allow for sound effects to be added?

I can say this much having heard what it took with Joust and Moon Patrol: it takes some serious tracking through binary code to find the pick ups for what sounds are associated with what. Takes some doing. Some pick ups are more quickly findable than others.

Just glad most of the pick ups were found in Joust. :D

• Like 1

Notes:

Music only

Can the games with music only have sound effects added, or does the game code don't allow for sound effects to be added?

They could, but as Clu said above - with probably more total effort required just for sound effects than goes into making them work in the first place.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Really quite incredible to see so many of these running. Especially given the differences in disk, user input and audio - and the different random ways coders went about doing things on ST... and what about all the MFP states those games must be messing with?

Impressed!

• Like 3

What about preserving the ST Mouse code in the various games? If you did that, and you had a DB9-to-EJP adapter, you could plug in a CX80 Trak-Ball Controller and use it in the place of the ST Mouse. Of course, if the games used the second mouse button, you'd have to add a button to the Trak-Ball. It might also be wise for the adapter cable to be a Y Adapter so you could still use the JagPad for the Pause Button and other functions just as people have made Y Adapter Cables for the 5200 for the very same reasoning.

Or, we get a Genesis/Mega Drive expert in the same room with you, or collaborating across the net. :)

Let's see…someone who knows the Genesis, and for added measure, the NES, the 2600, and other consoles. Someone who worked for Atari Inc, Atari Games/Tengen, and Sega. Survey says…. [drum roll]

Steve Woita.

:)

Really quite incredible to see so many of these running. Especially given the differences in disk, user input and audio - and the different random ways coders went about doing things on ST... and what about all the MFP states those games must be messing with?

Impressed!

No more impressive than seeing Quake2 on the Falcon!

(PS, I hate the MFP states... Thanks for understanding the pain!)

• Like 3