IGNORED

Favorite Gaming Memory/Purchase as an Adult

bretthorror

I'm gonna be that guy who looks like a 5 year old, because for me that would be the PS2

When that whole generation was going on I've always wanted a PS2. All my friends and familiy members had PS2s and were playing Burnout, Medal of Honor and a bunch of other games all the time and I've always wanted one. I was that one guy with a GameCube, which definitely isn't a bad thing since Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime and Smash Melee are some of my favorite games, but I always sort of felt left out. Last year I went and bought one because why not, played the hell out of Burnout 3 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely one of those times where I thought I'd never have one.

Definitely not as interesting as Stadium Mud Buggies or the Sears Super Video Arcade (I want one! D: ), but that's my story I guess.

As an adult it would the original Playstation, it was a favorite gaming memory mainly because up to that point I was only gaming on PC and I left consoles behind since 92' or 93'.

I discovered a whole new world, a new way of adult oriented gaming. Games like Blood Omen, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy VIII, Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid were revolutionary. I learned a lot about Japanese culture too. It changed the way I thought about console games big time.

• Like 3

I discovered a whole new world, a new way of adult oriented gaming. Games like Blood Omen, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy VIII, Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid were revolutionary...It changed the way I thought about console games big time.

I was only in junior high when the PlayStation started to blow up, but my experience was similar. It seemed so much more "adult" than other consoles up to that point, like it had purposely set out to bury the old prejudice that "video games are for kids," once and for all. Man, that was an exciting time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few moments that stand out.

-About 6 years back, I saw an ad for some Atari stuff at a nearby yard sale. I went there to check it out, and the guy had two 6-switch Telegames consoles, around 10 boxed games (some were sealed!) a bunch of loose games, and a sweet Atari hardshell briefcase that housed a console, joysticks, and games. Everything was minty. He also threw in a random copy of Red Faction for the PS2 with a strategy guide. Got it all for $40!

-My Sega Master System pickup. I used to hit up a Play N Trade after work that has since closed, and they always had awesome deals. I went in there one night, and they had just taken in an original SMS with two controllers, the gun, and a ton of boxed and complete games. Got all of it for right around $50. Man, I miss that place.

-Getting Chrono Trigger in cartridge form on the SNES. This is by far my favorite RPG of all time. It's the first game I pulled an all-nighter with, and even though I had it on the PSone as part of the Final Fantasy Chronicles compilation (and not to mention a SNES emulator), it just wasn't the same. I picked up a copy for $50 loose at a local game store: still the most I've ever paid for a retro game, but there's nothing like playing it on it's intended console. The DS version is pretty awesome, too, but I got that a little later on.

-My all time greatest pickup is also the most random one I've done. I was at a junkyard with some friends looking at some old cars, and we spot a 1966 Rambler in nice shape. As we are checking over the car, my friend opens the back door and says "guys, check out this weird little TV!" and he pulls out a VECTREX from the back of the car!!! :-o And it was in nice shape! After explaining to him what it was, he hands me the thing and tells me it's all mine. I bring it up to the office and ask what they want for it. The guy says "take it, that way we don't have to pay to recycle it!" Wow... I got it home and it worked fine. I've since picked up a few games for it, most recently Hyperchase and Clean Sweep, which I love. I never thought I'd ever be able to snag a Vectrex, especially after years of hunting for one, and yet somehow, I found one in the back of a 1966 Rambler for free. :-D

• Like 7

-My all time greatest pickup is also the most random one I've done. I was at a junkyard with some friends looking at some old cars, and we spot a 1966 Rambler in nice shape. As we are checking over the car, my friend opens the back door and says "guys, check out this weird little TV!" and he pulls out a VECTREX from the back of the car!!! :-o And it was in nice shape! After explaining to him what it was, he hands me the thing and tells me it's all mine. I bring it up to the office and ask what they want for it. The guy says "take it, that way we don't have to pay to recycle it!" Wow... I got it home and it worked fine. I've since picked up a few games for it, most recently Hyperchase and Clean Sweep, which I love. I never thought I'd ever be able to snag a Vectrex, especially after years of hunting for one, and yet somehow, I found one in the back of a 1966 Rambler for free. :-D

Ha, that's amazing! A Vectrex in the back of a car in a junkyard. You can't make that kind of stuff up! :) Makes you wonder what other odd, random places something might turn up.

Getting the my X-Arcade dual stick setup and kiosk to put it all on a few years back stands out. I love arcades growing up but I was a bit too young while they still existed. Not the greatest hardware but it's still a blast and my wife likes a number of the game she played on a tv plugin unit growing up.

Rocking my daughter to sleep last night to Chrono Trigger on my new SD2SNES is up there as well.

My best memories are less because I got something I didn't have before and more from what I can share with other people.

Ha, that's amazing! A Vectrex in the back of a car in a junkyard. You can't make that kind of stuff up! :) Makes you wonder what other odd, random places something might turn up.

Agreed- that's the best damn find story I've ever heard!

The strangest places I've ever seen things are a Sega Genesis in an army surplus store (circa 2005ish, I think) and Sega CD games in a Zakka (now defunct Asian bargain chain- think Japanese dollar store stuff). The store was going out of business, I think the owners were just taking advantage of the chance to have a yard sale at the same time. This would have been in the early 2000s.

Glad you guys liked that story! Interestingly enough, that's not the first time we found gaming stuff at a junkyard. One time, my friends found a NES console with about 30 games in the back of a conversion van, also for free. I wasn't there for that one, but my friend still has it to this day.

Another time, I found another completely random find: a Sega Nomad battery pack on the passenger seat of one of these:

0700000010026_2-700x346.jpg

If there's any car that should have gaming stuff in it, it's a Subaru XT Turbo. I mean, this is what the interior looks like:

1986-Subaru-XT-Turbo-Coupe-For-Sale-Dash

So yeah, every time I go to the junkyard, I go game hunting. :P

• Like 2

Not quite as amazing, but my father owns a scrap yard and once found a Vader VCS in the trunk of a car someone dropped off... didn't work unfortunately, but it's the only Vader VCS I have so I keep it around for decoration!

• Like 1

Glad you guys liked that story! Interestingly enough, that's not the first time we found gaming stuff at a junkyard. One time, my friends found a NES console with about 30 games in the back of a conversion van, also for free. I wasn't there for that one, but my friend still has it to this day.

Another time, I found another completely random find: a Sega Nomad battery pack on the passenger seat of one of these:

0700000010026_2-700x346.jpg

If there's any car that should have gaming stuff in it, it's a Subaru XT Turbo. I mean, this is what the interior looks like:

1986-Subaru-XT-Turbo-Coupe-For-Sale-Dash

So yeah, every time I go to the junkyard, I go game hunting. :P

God, that instrument panel looks like a Tiger LCD game.