IGNORED

Devils Third rare

cimerians

I bit on it because I have always wanted an epic collection of solid titles on a system with really no bullshit. Since I want most of Nintendo's first party titles, plus I want my little niches (ie: I bought Centipede Infestation for the original Wii because... Centipede), I hope to one day have a Wii U collection of basically 30 epic games and be able to look at that shelf and say to myself, for once, I bought right for a console. That does happen to include a game like Devils Third because I'm into badass bloodshed... a rarity for the Wii U. Wii U is like the Dreamcast of my adulthood, a very overlooked system.

Eh, I bought a retail priced game. At worst, it'll still be more valuable than most other games, everything else notwithstanding.

None of mine have it. But I only have an original WII not a U model. But I found a good price here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Wii-U-Game-Devils-Third-unopened-NIP-Insured-Mail-/172032741298?hash=item280df34fb2:g:w2cAAOSwhkRWcw0z

That is not the NA version, it's the EU version which is not rare at all.

• 1 month later...

Yea looks like this game got a reprint, just ordered mine today from Gamestop. I'm sure the flippers who each bought 10 copies at launch last year trying to cash in are groaning mightily right about now. Tempest, you are almost certainly right: it may not be worth the full new game price tag, but I do want to play it and certainly don't want to pay MORE than that for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my copy of Devil's Third yesterday from Gamestop. I had paid in-store and it was delivered. It's a new copy, shrinkwrapped.

I think the case with Xenoblade on the original Wii (from everything I've been able to discover) is after the value had shot up to $90 or $100 for a used copy, Gamestop themselves paid for a reprint and had one copy shipped to every store. Since you can search for copies by location, I remember there being zero in a 100-mile radius, to every single store having a copy. However, they were likely never shrinkrapped. Gamestop just put them on the shelves as USED as put a heavy price tag on them based on the market value at the time, hoping to rope in any unsuspecting buyers who saw a copy in-store and went ahead and paid their asking price. Really crappy if you ask me.

They did the same with Metroid Prime Trilogy, originally released as a Collectors Edition in a steel case with a slipcover. Value shot up, Gamestop had copies reprinted and shipped to every store - except in this case, they didn't have the special steel case nor "Collectors Edition" on the insert, but still charged the high market value. Again - assuming someone in-store would see it thinking "wow, Metroid Prime Trilogy is rare, I gotta snatch it up" not realizing they were buying a reprint that isn't even as nice as the original. (In Xenoblade's case, the original which I have and the reprint are exactly the same).

I'm totally ok with reprints that are the same as the original. In fact, I think it's great for those of us who want to own and play a game and don't want to pay a premium for the privelege. But I think Gamestop's practices are shady.

Side note: looks like Bayonetta 2 is getting a reprint, but instead of having the bonus disc with Bayonetta 1, it will be single disc only. After the new supply runs dry, I can only imagine Gamestop will try to charge a lot for used copies because the original printing of Bayonetta 2 has gone up quite a bit too I believe (like $70 - $80 I think?)

Side note: looks like Bayonetta 2 is getting a reprint, but instead of having the bonus disc with Bayonetta 1, it will be single disc only. After the new supply runs dry, I can only imagine Gamestop will try to charge a lot for used copies because the original printing of Bayonetta 2 has gone up quite a bit too I believe (like $70 - $80 I think?)

Yes, someone pointed that out to me (a Bayonetta 2 reprint) as I was confused by the pre-order for something that was already released.

Ironically, before the holidays, I was searching for this game used, and one GS near me had it. When I went to pick it up, they could only find a sealed copy (the original print with the bonus first game). The manager sold it to me at the pre-owned price (maybe around $35-$37). Didn't think much of it at the time other than the thanks for saving me a few bucks of pre-owned versus new. I guess I saved a bit more than that.

And yes, I will open it and play it at some point.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

To recap, Devil's Third NA release was initially very rare. I got it brand new in December 2015 (see post 30) for $84, at the height of its discussion of rarity. Then in early 2016, it seemed to have gotten a reprint, and prices went way back down to normal. I was kicking myself for paying $84, but flash forward to 2019...

It seems to have gone way up in value again. Here's one with a bid that's at $139.99, with 1 day and 5 hours to go. That's the cheapest on eBay now. There are others dirt cheap, but they are the EU and Japan versions. The NA one is the rare one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Devils-Third-Nintendo-Wii-U-2015-Brand-New-Sealed/123981798958?epid=197123401&hash=item1cdde41e2e:g:5WsAAOSwwS5d1KEi

Edited by Zap!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2016 at 2:22 PM, glazball said:

Yea looks like this game got a reprint, just ordered mine today from Gamestop. I'm sure the flippers who each bought 10 copies at launch last year trying to cash in are groaning mightily right about now.

Well, now they're super-happy again if they held onto those 10 copies. 10 will fetch you roughly $1,400.

• 2 months later...

Heh, it's interesting that the value of Devil's Third shot up like that when most Wii U game values seem to be falling (at least for now, they'll only go up many years down the line).  Hello Kitty Kruisers was selling for over $100 at one point and now seems to be about half that according to GVN.  Having played both, neither one is worth that much!

• 1 year later...

Well, it wound up selling for $305. It remains to be seen if this is the norm, or if it's just two rich guys in a bidding war. I'll be closely watching other auctions.

Strangely enough, there's another Devil's Third auction going on right now with 25 bids. It's got two days to go, and the bid is currently at...wait for it...$305! :D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265172276065?hash=item3dbd7fd361%3Ag%3ALzIAAOSwKqdgrFoG&LH_Auction=1