IGNORED

Intellivision First Impressions 2015

Rick Dangerous

Hey Everyone!

A new system and a new lingo and gaming sub-culture to learn. I was lucky enough recently to score an Intellivision, Intv II, 40 games, a voice-synth module, and two joystick adaptors recently off CL. After cleaning everything, and setting up the Inty, here are my first impressions. Granted, this was only after about two hours of play, specifically with Burgertime and Dig Dug.

System: Looks good! Love that wood paneling! HUGE with the Voice Synth attached. Literally would not fit in my cabinet so had to leave it off for now.

Controllers: Not bad, they seem a lot better and more solid than CV controllers. Missing the metal topper for my dial for the P2 controller (anyone know where I can get one?) Don't understand (like the CV) how to get both controllers in their "homes" without taking 20 minutes to do it. Give up and just have P2 in and P1 perched out sideways a bit. Roller wheel works well and very intuitive, Burgertime controls worked oh so smooth. It's hard to explain, but you can use the wheel as a directional pad if you want to, or just sort of roll it (like a rotary controller.) It surprised me how well it worked! Firing buttons on the side a bit small and stiff, I can see some sore fingers in the future. Not sure if joystick attachments will get much use..

Graphics: Great. Feels superior to 2600 but just barely below Atari 5200 and CV levels.

Sound: Also good. Feels better than 2600/7800 non-pokey and on par with CV and 5200. Have yet to experience the voice synth but have heard good things.

Games: Dig Dug and Burgertime were fantastic. Great graphics, sound and gameplay. Looking forward to finding more quality titles like this to play. Not really into sports games and noticed the inty has a lot. Will enjoy some like Skiing, Tennis, and Bowling.

Homebrews: Looks like there are some great ones, but are generally very limited and expensive. I'm particularly interested in Ms. Pac Man, Christmas Carol, Ms. Nightstalker, and DIIK Arcade. Because of the price holding out for a SD Cart from groovy bee. Happy to pay $5-$15 for roms, or $25-$60 for homebrew carts, and looking to pick up the Helicopter game from the AA store, which looks fun.

Picture Quality: Puts out about as strong an RF signal as you can hope for. Colors look bright and crisp. Is there anyone in the community who is the go-to for an AV mod?

Manufacture: System seems solid. Made in Hong Kong, pity not USA like some Atari's and CV. Still, seems like they did a good job with the unit.

Character: Like the 5200 and CV, Oozes character. I can already tell there are many good hours and years of gaming ahead of my on Intellivision. I love the wood paneling and late 70's style. You can tell it was a high end and high quality unit when it was released, and the games seem top notch as well for the most part.

So that's it, looking forward to hearing your thoughts and learning more about the Intellivision! Very happy to be a new member of the Brotherhood!

post-38373-0-05943900-1450112449_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-05264400-1450112453_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Nice loot! And welcome to the community!

I can't speak about the other games, but unfortunately Christmas Carol in cartridge is currently out of circulation. That may not be for too long, but I cannot say right now.

The ROM, however, is available for free from the official website.

Your best bet on that is to wait for the HIVE to be available so that you can play it on your console. I would stay away from the jacked-up gougetastic speculator after-market and just hold out for a bit longer. :)

dZ.

• Like 1

Welcome! Sounds like you scored a great pickup! Burgertime is one of the very best games for the Intellivision. I've always had a soft spot for Dig Dug and agree it's a great port, too.

The LTO Flash! is a flash-based "multi-cart" in beta test right now, as well, so you'll have options galore for your future Intellivision gaming!

Hopefully with the new multi-carts more of the recent new games will see ROM releases and lower the barrier to entry for newcomers. There are a lot of great new titles that really push the Intellivision beyond even the best of the original titles.

• Like 1

Here is a previous games recommendation thread-

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/238765-just-got-an-intellivision-can-you-recommend-good-games/

Bump N Jump on the Intellivision is a must play. IMHO, it is far superior to the Coleco, NES, and Arcade versions and the disc controls are top notch.

Edited by ACFinPGH
  • Like 2

Here is a previous games recommendation thread-

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/238765-just-got-an-intellivision-can-you-recommend-good-games/

Bump N Jump on the Intellivision is a must play. IMHO, it is far superior to the Coleco, NES, and Arcade versions and the disc controls are top notch.

Great thread recommendation! Yeah, Bump 'n' Jump is another great port. Overall, the Data East <-> Mattel connection was pretty successful. Loco-Motion is a really fun game, too. Though control in Lock 'n' Chase is subpar, I've always liked the look and sound of the game. Mission X is decent, but has the feel of a poor-man's Xevious knockoff.

Arcade ports aside, there are many great original titles, too, as that thread points out.

These might be slightly on the spendy side, but get River Raid and Commando. River Raid plays like the Atari version, yet is different from every other version of the game. ( One key difference: you can actually fly over land as long as you don't run into any trees.) Commando makes excellent use of the disc for running and firing in 16 directions, which gives it a different flavor than other versions (that, and the distinctly Intellivision graphics); and it's really good on top of that.

Also, if you don't have Astrosmash yet, get Astrosmash. It's required material for all Intellivision owners, and it'll set you back, like, a dollar.

Thanks everyone, going to fire up some of these games tonight!

What are peoples thoughts on AV modding? Do most INTY gamers stick to RF or is there someone in the community doing Composite or RGB mods? I'd probably just do composite and an LED power mod myself if I could find someone to do it.

Edited by travistouchdown

Welcome and congrats on the score! Burgertime is a great game to show off the Intellivision. Here's my recommendation list:

Try these:

AD&D

Astrosmash

Frog Bog

Night Stalker

Shark Shark

Snafu

Space Armada

Sea Battle

Utopia

Tron Deadly Discs

Atlantis

Beauty & the Beast

Demon Attack

Bump 'n Jump

I'm also a BIG fan of the Activision games, so try to find:

Beamrider

Worm Whomper

Dreadnaught Factor

River Raid

If you have any questions on rarity of pricing, just ask. Which other games did you score?

I just did a AV mod yesterday and I am going to take it out, they really seem to be hit or miss for the Intellivision if they work well or not. You said you wanted Miss Pac Man, I would get Pac Man. You can find them for a reasonable price and I think its on of the best versions going. If you like Space Shooters I would look for a copy of Beamerider it is very good. Get a copy of Demon Attack also it is good and very common and cheap to find.What are the Joy Stick adapters you said you got with the systems?

Forrest

I just did a AV mod yesterday and I am going to take it out, they really seem to be hit or miss for the Intellivision if they work well or not. You said you wanted Miss Pac Man, I would get Pac Man. You can find them for a reasonable price and I think its on of the best versions going. If you like Space Shooters I would look for a copy of Beamerider it is very good. Get a copy of Demon Attack also it is good and very common and cheap to find.What are the Joy Stick adapters you said you got with the systems?

Forrest

These:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intellivision-Attachable-Joystick-Adapters-x2-INTV-Originals-great-shape-/191677080657?hash=item2ca0d82451:g:FD4AAOSw~gRV4h5W

Thanks I noticed there were cheap and good versions of Pac Man and Nightstalkers.

The only case where I would want the homebrew was where it is vastly superior to the original release, like Donkey Kong vs. DIIK Arcade.

But I can wait for an SD Cart :D

Edited by travistouchdown

I recommend Snafu, especially if you can find someone to play with you. It is easy to play, and it is never the same twice. If I was running Mattel in the golden age, I would have packed this game in with the consoles. I have always considered it the SMB of the Inty. You probably already have it if your score came with forty games. Enjoy the find!

• Like 1

Shark Shark! Looks fun but man pricey on ebay....

Will post a complete list later :)

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on there. Completed listings tell a different story from the asking prices on eBay. I think it's rare enough that only a few are on eBay. Overpriced ones have been relisted numerous times and new listers use existing ones for price reference. Unless I'm just crazy, I value the loose cart around $5-10 and CIB $15-20.

The games that my system came with are:

-Burgertime

-Dig Dug

-Backgammon

-Golf

-Mission X

-Horse Racing

-Baseball

-Bowling

-Hockey

-Sharp Shot

-Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack

-Tron Deadly Discs

-Boxing

-Math Fun

-Word Fun

-Advanced D&D

-Advanced D&D Treasures of Tarmin

-Chess

-Space Armada

-NASC Soccer

-Night Stalker

-Basketball

-World Championship Baseball

-Loco Motion

-B17 Bomber

-Utopia

-Space Spartans

-Sea Battle

-Football

-Tennis

-Sub Hunt

-Frog Bog

-Triple Action

-Carnival

-Beauty and the Beast

-Atlantis

-Qbert

-Donkey Kong

Have only played a few so far, but really enjoying the system!

Great start! Can't say there are any real duds in there, but of course the 2P-only games will pose a challenge, and you're not a big sports fan. You did get two lumps of coal - Donkey Kong and Carnival. But a really solid start!

man, why peeps gotta be hatin' on carnival. I actually like playin it.
  • Like 1

The games that my system came with are:

-Burgertime

-Dig Dug

-Backgammon

-Golf

-Mission X

-Horse Racing

-Baseball

-Bowling

-Hockey

-Sharp Shot

-Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack

-Tron Deadly Discs

-Boxing

-Math Fun

-Word Fun

-Advanced D&D

-Advanced D&D Treasures of Tarmin

-Chess

-Space Armada

-NASC Soccer

-Night Stalker

-Basketball

-World Championship Baseball

-Loco Motion

-B17 Bomber

-Utopia

-Space Spartans

-Sea Battle

-Football

-Tennis

-Sub Hunt

-Frog Bog

-Triple Action

-Carnival

-Beauty and the Beast

-Atlantis

-Qbert

-Donkey Kong

Have only played a few so far, but really enjoying the system!

Swell list!! Bowling is great, and Baseball looks fantastic!! (Looking to pick one up soon)

Football is amazing, but it is 2P only.

Welcome to the forum. :)