IGNORED

Chaotic Grill (BurgerTime remake) in progress

splendidnut

I'm sorry for slacking with the updates... It's been a rough couple of months but things seem to be settling down. And I've now got my Atari located next to my computer again which should provide a bit more motivation (or slacking off to actually play the Atari 2600).

Keeps looking better and better. Do you think that you will be able to include Mr. Egg and Mr. Pickle? If so, will they be detailed sprites or single lines like the M Network version?

Bump. Any new development on this remake? I was really looking forward to this one.

That's one of the goals... more detailed sprites of Mr. HotDog (pretty much accomplished), Mr. Pickle and Mr.Egg :)

Currently, I've got the enemy AI working better than it was. Both the Chef and the Enemy movement still need to be improved to prevent getting stuck AND being stopped from being able to move across the level where there is no platform.

Big things that still need to be worked on include making the burger pieces actually function, adding more sprites, reworking the engine a bit to minimize flickering.

I'll try to get another update out soon.

Thanks for bumping the thread. It inspires me to do more work :)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick status update:

I got the visual portion of the burgers being swiped away as the chef walks over them working... Now I need to handle all the intricacies of them dropping.

BUT before I do that, I might work on either fixing up the joystick control of the chef OR spliting up the display kernel to try and eliminate some of the flicker (it's bugging me :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't really made much progress... as I've been busy with other things.

I've fiddled around a bit and have a single burger piece dropping. I'd like to get them all dropping and bumping into each other first before I post another downloadable demo update.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welp, didn't work on the Atari Flashback Portable. Means the game uses some cool routine or voice or something awesome. :P

That does it, ordering that Harmony Cart...

Where can you find the latest ROM for this game as I don't see an updated version in this thread? The last version I see is April 2016. Is there an update with the graphics shown a few posts ago? Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

After a long hiatus working on some minor home improvement projects (hah, minor...), I've just started working on this again. April 2016 is still the latest update. I'll have to check and see what the other download links to at some point.

Currently working on the burger dropping support logic... and a weird vsync issue that popped up at some point and is preventing me from this on real hardware. I'm also prototyping out better control/navigation logic. Not sure when the next update will be or what it will include. My time is very limited and as the weather gets warmer, other projects will inevitably take priority... like more home improvements.

In regards to support non-legacy Atari: This relies on the Melody/Harmony tech. So unless the Atari Flashback Portable supports that, there are no plans on supporting it.

• Like 4

You're apparently missing some inits of the RAM, stack pointers, etc. or possibly have an immediate mode instruction where you left off the # (ie: LDA 5 instead of LDA #5) as sometimes the game initially loads like this:

post-3056-0-62804900-1488667496_thumb.png

I had a bug like this in Medieval Mayhem which showed up about a year after it was released. I now always have these 7 options checked in Stella to help find these issues earlier in the development cycle:

post-3056-0-63761200-1488667564_thumb.png

post-3056-0-50542200-1488667570_thumb.png

• Like 1