IGNORED

Odyssey/Videopac Community

SSG

Many people seem to forget that the o2 was on par with the 2600 the first 2 years. Games on the 2600 didn't look that more better then the o2 games did. But after these first years, and after the massive support of third party developers things took of on the 2600 side. Resulting in better looking games, because of better programming.

I think that if the o2 had had the same support form other developers, it to would have had better looking games, just look at the graphics of revival studio games to see what the o2 is capable of.

I pretty much agree with this. I don't know much about programming, but it is my understanding (from what I've read of programers that have written games for both OD2 and 2600) the hardware in the OD2 is more limited/rigid than the 2600. Mainly, certain programming "tricks" could be done on the 2600 to make it appear as if the hardware was more capable than could be done on the OD2. Admittedly, I think that we are just now starting to see what the OD2 was truly capable of with some of the new homebrew title.

The one title that stands out to me the most on the OD2 platform (as far as depth of game) is Wildlife!. I don't own the game, but from what I've seen on youtube it looks really good (as far as OD2 games go).

One of the biggest hold backs to the OD2 I think is sound. From what I've seen/heard there is only a handful of sounds that can be used and it seems every game uses them all.

Sorry to go off track. As for a "Community" we kind of all ready have that right hear on AA. It seem that Odyssey 2 / Videopac section is starting to pick-up a little bit.

Edited by pboland

I pretty much agree with this. I don't know much about programming, but it is my understanding (from what I've read of programers that have written games for both OD2 and 2600) the hardware in the OD2 is more limited/rigid than the 2600. Mainly, certain programming "tricks" could be done on the 2600 to make it appear as if the hardware was more capable than could be done on the OD2. Admittedly, I think that we are just now starting to see what the OD2 was truly capable of with some of the new homebrew title.

The one title that stands out to me the most on the OD2 platform (as far as depth of game) is Wildlife!. I don't own the game, but from what I've seen on youtube it looks really good (as far as OD2 games go).

One of the biggest hold backs to the OD2 I think is sound. From what I've seen/heard there is only a handful of sounds that can be used and it seems every game uses them all.

Sorry to go off track. As for a "Community" we kind of all ready have that right hear on AA. It seem that Odyssey 2 / Videopac section is starting to pick-up a little bit.

The idea of this thread was to start some kind of group like the intellivision, colecovision, 7800 and others have. The community exists this sub forum is proof of that.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

The idea of this thread was to start some kind of group like the intellivision, colecovision, 7800 and others have. The community exists this sub forum is proof of that.

I've put the community line created in my signature box!

We are organizing a US shipping group for Space Cavern by Apollo Games in the marketplacee if anyone is interested.

• Like 1