IGNORED

RAPIDUS ACCELERATOR

lotharek

My rapidus came in today, trying to decide if I should destroy it (I mean try to install it)...or hire someone.

I've never even once successfully completed a soldering project....but I figure there is always a first time :)

Well, I'm trying it with conductive silver epoxy instead of soldering. It's drying now....will let you know.

Well, I'm trying it with conductive silver epoxy instead of soldering. It's drying now....will let you know.

That sounds more time consuming then soldering, and likely no where near as reliable. Just curious as to why you took this approach?

- Michael

• Like 1

The rest is listed as 16384k banked SD-RAM. There are four banks, four megabytes each, in the $800000-$BFFFFF. The controlling register is at $FF0082, bits 0-1 is the bank number, bit 2 is bank enable (if 1).

Thanks for clearing it up, Drac030 :thumbsup:

That is a great idea! But it does imply you had a socketed cpu? Or did you desolder that and epoxy the socket in? If this is an inane question....lol I am clueless about hardware...I did not look at my 800xl, but I have a couple xe's...all with soldered cpu's.... So it seems I can't just add 3 wires but must deal with thst, or am I missing something?

Using epoxy instead of solder is not a "good idea".. Im glad it worked for Dan, but electrically, it does not necessarily accomplish the same thing in terms of resistance, etc. For 3 single wire hookups, I wouldnt say theres any harm in it, but obviously you couldn't socket an entire CPU with it..

Yes, MG is right, I decided to do it based strictly on the easiness of the situation and the fact I had a socketed CPU. You should not assume it's the same as a good solder job, because it isn't. It worked, but it's not suitable for anything but the most obviously easy situations.

Edited by danwinslow

That is a great idea! But it does imply you had a socketed cpu? Or did you desolder that and epoxy the socket in? If this is an inane question....lol I am clueless about hardware...I did not look at my 800xl, but I have a couple xe's...all with soldered cpu's.... So it seems I can't just add 3 wires but must deal with thst, or am I missing something?

Yeah, you'll need to get a CPU socket put in, which means de-soldering the CPU and re-soldering a socket down. Some 130's have sockets, some don't. I happened to get lucky.

Hi Folks,

i tried several ATR of "Rescue on Fractalus" and even the executable "behind jaggi lines" on my Rapidus.

There is a intensive horizontal flickering in the sky of Fractalus. Is the version that was used to record

the video a fixed one, or is this due to the VBXE that my 1200XL has?

The gameplay works as usual and the flight is very smooth and with good FPS, but that flickering

does ruin the impressive speedup that the Rapidus does.

Can someone provide a solution to run Rescue on Fractalus like on the video?

Greetings,

Beetle

Well I got both of my Rapidos in the mail yesterday. Most impressed with what I am reading but I to order a plug to fit the 3 wire header. It is the same one that the IDE Plus 2.0 Rev D or S use. So I will most likely get one out of my IDE Plus box and wire it into my Atari Tower.

Everyone who had a hand in this Great Job!!!!

Stephen J. Carden

• 2 weeks later...

My deepest thanks for your generosity and sentiment. You have truly made my day, and I'm honoured to be deserving of s/n 00001. Here's hoping I can find room in the 1200XL for this. :)

Thanks again.

ps: Vokda will be bought in readiness. ;)

Polish Vodka is the BEST!

Hmmm... it was that time of the month when I try the Rapidus again (after I reworked some soldering a while back), and it's behaving quite well in the U1MB/VBXE 130XE this evening. Swapping out the Mexico CPU for an older XL model cured some SIDE2 IO errors, such that I've just completed my third error-free run of KMK's RWCRC integrity test in accelerated 65C816 mode with the Rapidus ROM. Looking forward to finally trying some of this 65C816 software. :)

• Like 3

See if your GUI runs! :)

I hope to soon, although when I disconnect the SIDE2 cart the system hangs with a Rapidus "cart removed error". So we may not be quite there yet. Had to change the CPU again too, since although the one I put in last night allowed the system to work in 65C816 mode, it kept crashing in legacy mode. So: third CPU and the thing just about works. Now I'm trying to nail the weird issue which causes the Ultimate 1MB PBI BIOS to hang when reading the partition table when the 65C816 DracOS is running. Hangs just as the BIOS writes some value to the IORAM at $D1AD but there isn't supposed to be anything write-sensitive there. I wonder if it's interrupt related, although critic is set.

The 130XE's keyboard is playing up as well... one reason I prefer my XLs. :)

As soon as my SIDE2 arrives I can assist testing, since we would have a quite similar setup.

That'll be most helpful, although after extensive testing this evening with three different CPUs in the 130XE it finally became apparent that all three of them are subject to spontaneous reboots on reset once the system has warmed up, and all three had fooled me into thinking the problem was fixed when I first dropped them into the board. This would seem to confirm that there is something gravely wrong, so instead of going around in circles here, I had probably better just send the board back to Pasiu. It's a shame, since I was working on a Rapidus plugin for the new U1MB BIOS and had hoped to get to the bottom of the PBI issue, but I can't really do anything useful the way things are.