IGNORED

Marble Madness 2: Marble Man

DarkSyne

On 8/3/2020 at 10:10 PM, Loafer said:

To the defense of the operators I've known a few back in the day and know of one who's still at it.  I am aware of none driving around a ferrari eheh so personally I don't see it as greed but as survival.  Back in the day, the competition was fierce and the $$$ investment you put in had to bring in the coin and fast.  

People here of the big success stories but I'd like to remind you there are thousands of arcade games and only a fraction of those were ever big money earners.  For every big hit like Pacman, DK, Space Invaders, Frogger, etc, there are dozens of very good games that did decent business but didn't bring home the bacon, well except for maybe those 3-4 magical years of the early 80's where the arcades were constantly filled with arcade nutballs like me :).

So true...I mentioned the one I know a few times here already and he's still going at it. I would say he's doing "ok" , by no means making a fortune. He *had* an account at a college bar where he put a shitty Golden Tee conversion that made him some good profit for a while (think that was a 60-40 split) He eventually lost the account because the owner wanted the newest Golden Tee version available each year. He didn't have the cash flow to pull that move; I guess the next new operator did...

Of course I would love to route games in the golden age but two games stuck out to me in that Jamma era that were killing the coin counters for months on end. The two games were Double Dragon and the first Konami Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game.

9 minutes ago, schuwalker said:

Of course I would love to route games in the golden age but two games stuck out to me in that Jamma era that were killing the coin counters for months on end. The two games were Double Dragon and the first Konami Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game.

Two of the worst games of the worst era.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 7:27 AM, Keatah said:

Two of the worst games of the worst era.

I wouldn't say it's the worst era (I'd say that's nowadays) and I can't say that TMNT is bad (I've never played it), but holy shit Double Dragon Arcade is awful, it might be the worst game I've ever played. But hey, at least the music's great.

Edited by Magmavision2000

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 7:49 PM, Jack the gamer 3 said:

So I came across some flordia free play videos on yt. Saw some idiots pass marble madness 2 marble man. god damn they should have played it. But it's what ever I guess...... man i wish the rom for this game was released. I keep having dreams about this game. 

What if they played it while the camera wasn't filming?

10 hours ago, Keatah said:

What if they played it while the camera wasn't filming?

Well damn they should have!! There other atari fans here (me) that ya know? May want more footage because people like me probably won't get there hands on the game unless the rom releases November. (Hype trian for that tho) Mabye they should think about others ?

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jack the gamer 3 said:

Sadness. That's what will happen 

Yes.  Unfortunate though that would be, I can see how that could happen.

By the way, there's this really awesome function that the forum has.  It's called a 'blog'.  Perhaps you've heard of them.

Anyway, if you go up to the 'Apps' menu at the top of the page, click on it, and then click on 'Blogs' on the drop-down menu that appears, you'll be taken to another page with a big orange button that reads 'Create a blog'.  You should totally start a blog all about how awesome November's going to be.  That way we can all read about it in one place instead of having to keep checking the thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's remember that our colleague is only 13 (IIRC), so do cut him some slack.

Young folks brimming with enthusiasm may not always perfectly execute every rule of decorum or "read the room" correctly. But they're the force that infuses a scene -- any scene -- with new energy. Without that, it becomes a bunch of old men grumbling at each other about how much better things used to be. :)

And the surest way to stay young in spirit as you get older is to stay inspired by the energy of youth. If you know any people over 70 who still have that light in their eyes (and you know the light I mean), they usually appreciate the young and feel uplifted by their energy, rather than resenting it.

• Like 7