IGNORED

Off Topic - Anyone going to see Star Wars Force Awakens?

Rev

Did you see it and not like it? I really think it recaptured much of the magic of the original trilogy and I'll be seeing it a few more times with my son.

Of course it recaptured much of the magic of the original. It's like the same script recycled. That said, I did enjoy it a lot, and want to see it again. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Why am I the only one that did not care for this movie? Thank God we'll always have the original trilogy.

I didn't care for it either. I would say 6/10. As mentioned by others, it's effectively a remake of the original films (recycling all the same plot points with new characters).

• Like 1

Of course it recaptured much of the magic of the original. It's like the same script recycled. That said, I did enjoy it a lot, and want to see it again. :)

-dZ.

Yep, certainly others have said that as well but I didn't see that as a negative. I felt it was JJ's way of bringing us back to the Star Wars that we remembered as part of the need to reboot the franchise after the Trade Federation Wars trilogy. :)

As you've said, the most important thing for me was that I was entertained, as was my son. For me one of the best things about it was getting to play hookey with my ten year old and seeing our first Star Wars movie in the theatre together. I suspect he'll always remember that.

• Like 2

JJ was in a no win situation of sorts.

Use too much of original trilogy and it makes it not new.

Use too much actual new stuff and its not star wars enough.

I liked it. Sometimes more of the same is a good thing.

Lets just be glad we didn't have 2 more hours of Jar Jar Binks and pod racing. I swear I would of walked out of the theatre if that happened.

• Like 1

No I have not watched it. I might watch it when it comes to netflix if nothing else is on. I have seen bits of star wars movies after the first original 3 and could not hold my attention as it made no sense and was boring. If this shares a storyline with the original. I will just watch the original instead. Reminds me of spiderman redone 10x over like they did.

I love movies like mad max, gone in 60 seconds, and death race. All the remakes of those all suck bigtime. This is no different.

If I was young I would feel different as all this reboot remake stuff would be new and "never done before"

Sorry watching episode 27 of the care bears series would be as thrilling.

Why am I the only one that did not care for this movie? Thank God we'll always have the original trilogy.

Probably because you are judging the movie too critically? Or perhaps due to personal taste. Whatever.

I found many flaws with the movie, but if you watch the first trilogy, you'll find many things wrong with them as well. The silly dialog and the wooden acting is something that even the critics mentioned back in the late 70s.

I recall watching The Hidden Fortress by Kurasawa and thinking, wow! what nerve! Lucas just ripped off the entire plot, and even the characters and scenes, from here!

To me, the new one feels much too close to the original plot line. At times it was distracting how much it resembled the original. It felt like they were going through a checklist:

Desert planet... Check

Lone kid stuck on planet, but aspires for greater things... Check

Rogue pilot with witty and snappy personality... Check

Evil guy in mask and cloak... Check

Weird parent-child connection between good and bad guys... Check

Cutesy robot with secret mcguffin that must be delivered to good guys... Check

Search for old jedi mentor to save the galaxy... Check

A death start that's going to blow up the planet unless the cutesy robot delivers his mcguffin... Check

Light saber duel to resolve old conflict... Check

Dramatic death of a mentoring character... Check

etc.

etc.

etc.

For a few moments, I thought that was a bit uncomfortable. However, then I got sucked back into the action and everything was well again.

For all its flaws and derivation, the original Star Wars had some really good qualities: it was fast paced, had great special effects, an inventive and creative story, engaging and interesting characters; and most of all, it had something that tapped into the imagination of many children.

For me, The Force Awakens recaptured some of that innocent magic that the first Star Wars had (the one I refuse to call by any other name, except for the name I saw on the marquee when I was seven years old). The special effects were very well done, not distracting, and did not rob the scene of attention. The sound effects fit well within the world, and they were very similar to the originals. The score was a bit different, yet it had tones and themes of the old movies; I found it engaging, interesting, and memorable -- just like the Star Wars score of old.

Plus, the characters had chemistry, the costumes and spaceships were very cool, and the acting... well the acting was a bit wooden, but that's Star Wars! :lol:

Personally, I would pit that bad guy against Darth Vader any old day of the week. He is the coolest evil bad guy ever! I thought his voice effect was fantastic, and really creepy. If I were 7 years-old again, I would have had nightmares of that guy!

I loved that guy, his costume and character, and everything!!! But then... he took his mask off and it turns out he's just a snotty whiny kid. Boo!

They shouldn't have done that. :( They should have left that guy masked the entire first movie at least. I would have loved the mystique of that character to be prolonged a bit longer, before turning him into another whiny Anakin little bitch. That was not cool. :(

So, in conclusion, I found many things wrong with the movie. However, in my opinion, the things it got right were so great, it absolved it of its flaws. This is indeed the sequel I was looking for, and I enjoyed it in such a way, much more so than I did the actual two sequels that followed my beloved Star Wars.

I'd give it an 8 out of ten for its content, and a 12 out of ten for returning my childhood from Lucas' bondage.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Now, I have to go buy tickets to watch it again next week. CinéBistro, of course! ;)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

I saw it yesterday. I liked it much more than I thought I would. I thought it was much better than the 3 prequels and in some ways better than the remixed originals. Like others have said, it was very mch like the first one. I was very concerned that it would be full of the cute stuff thrown in for kids and marketing. And, while I know the new rolling robot is very marketable the extraneous CGI seemed to be kept to minimum

I saw it yesterday. I liked it much more than I thought I would. I thought it was much better than the 3 prequels and in some ways better than the remixed originals. Like others have said, it was very mch like the first one. I was very concerned that it would be full of the cute stuff thrown in for kids and marketing. And, while I know the new rolling robot is very marketable the extraneous CGI seemed to be kept to minimum

You do know the rolling robot is real. right?

I couldnt tell from your statement.

• Like 1

not to give anything away, but it's obvious from the tracks in the sand that the bb8 is real. I just assumed everybody already knew that. ;)

I saw a miniature, remote control one in Radio Shack. It is very cool: the head stays in play by magnetism, and the thing rolls around like in the movie.

-dZ.

Agreed that the movie followed the plot of Episode 4 very closely, but there's enough new action to make it very exciting. It's been a while since I've been at a movie where the audience applauded during the movie.

You'd think the Empire would give up on building death stars or at least figure out how to defend them better - they're 0 for 3 now! Time for a new strategy guys...

• Like 1

I saw it three times now and I still have a hard time getting over the recycled nature of the story, sure it looked cool but I have tired of all the reboots of movies that really did not need to be rebooted. This one felt like they just remade Star Wars. Maybe it was to give this generation their own version but my kids loved the original even though it is "old".

I put it as maybe 3rd or 4th after Empire and SW, depends on my mood if it beats Jedi or not (Ewoks).