IGNORED

Off Topic - Anyone going to see Star Wars Force Awakens?

Rev

JJ was in a no win situation of sorts.

Use too much of original trilogy and it makes it not new.

Use too much actual new stuff and its not star wars enough.

I liked it. Sometimes more of the same is a good thing.

Lets just be glad we didn't have 2 more hours of Jar Jar Binks and pod racing. I swear I would of walked out of the theatre if that happened.

^ This ^. There was a part of me that wanted something groundbreaking. That didn't happen ... but it WAS a Star Wars movie and entertained me the entire time. I think that he needed to re-establish the Star Wars theme, re-energize the fans from the prequels, and then launch into some new story territory with the next two. Although, if they want to rehash the Jabba slave girl scene with Rey, that would be just fine with me :ponder: . Very impressed with JJ with his work on this AND the new life that he breathed into Star Trek as well. He's right up there with Joss Whedon as those who can do no wrong in my book ...

Ranked it behind the original and ROTJ but slightly better than Empire Strikes Back (although Hoth and the AT-AT Walkers is still my favorite scene of the entire series).

Different question, who was everyone's favorite NEW character? I thought Poe was a fun character that I hope gets more screen time later but Rey was my favorite.

^ This ^. There was a part of me that wanted something groundbreaking. That didn't happen ... but it WAS a Star Wars movie and entertained me the entire time. I think that he needed to re-establish the Star Wars theme, re-energize the fans from the prequels, and then launch into some new story territory with the next two. Although, if they want to rehash the Jabba slave girl scene with Rey, that would be just fine with me :ponder: . Very impressed with JJ with his work on this AND the new life that he breathed into Star Trek as well. He's right up there with Joss Whedon as those who can do no wrong in my book ...

Ranked it behind the original and ROTJ but slightly better than Empire Strikes Back (although Hoth and the AT-AT Walkers is still my favorite scene of the entire series).

Different question, who was everyone's favorite NEW character? I thought Poe was a fun character that I hope gets more screen time later but Rey was my favorite.

Mine was Kylo Ren. That guy was evil and unstable which made him scary! :o His costume was as awesome of Darth Vader's but sleeker, and even cooler! :cool:

Particularly, I liked his deep, booming voice with electronic undertones. It gave him an aura of menace and mystique. It reminded me of the "Darkness" in Legend, portrayed by Tim Curry. That dude's voice just stood my hair on end! :o :o

It's just what you would imagine Darth Vader would have been on the first movie in a parallel universe. I really liked him as a villain.

At least while had had his mask on. I didn't much care for his little whiny bitchy self when he took it off. Boo!

Rey was my favorite.

I know which side we'll both be playing on in a make-belief light-saber duel with broom sticks! :)

Ahh... The movie really took me back.

Edited by DZ-Jay

• 2 weeks later...

I went and saw it with a buddy on the 27th, my birthday.. It was a great movie and the 3D was very cool. I want to see it again in 2D but first, I need to watch every other Star Wars movie since it's been years. After that, seeing the new movie again should be an even better experience. :-)

I should also note, IMHO, this is not the best SW movie made so far.. I prefer the original movies. I saw lots of people in the other SW thread, saying they like the new one the best but I guess everybody is entitled to their own opinion. :-) However, I do like TFA wayyy more than the last few recent SW movies though

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85
  • Like 1

I certainly liked it better than all the prequels, but the originals were better.

This one felt more like "Star Wars" than the prequels, but this movie suffered from being a product of the times and is a bit too...something... that I can't quite put my finger on.

Feminized or de-masculinized

I am OK with a female protagonist, but they certainly didn't have any male heroes in the movie.

They seemingly killed off the best pilot at the beginning (it was obvious he would return for the big ending battle), the ex-trooper was a bumbling fool, they cut off Han's balls, and Luke ran away with his tail between his legs. The masked villain is a whinny snot nosed kid, and they shouldn't have unmasked him in the first movie.

It is OK to have a strong female lead, but this was a bit too much.

The masked villain is a whinny snot nosed kid, and they shouldn't have unmasked him in the first movie.

Oh man, to me that is the biggest sin in the movie. :(

I did like the movie a lot, and it reminded me of the original Star Wars when it came out. That is something that the two sequels lacked, with their darker tones and drama. Personally, I liked it more than Empire and Jedi, but it is a very distant second to Star Wars.

-dZ.

I thought all four of the new leads (five if you count BB-8!) were interesting. Daisy Ridley is stellar ;) as Rey; considering she's had only a few bit roles before this, she did a great job. Some critics have called her a "diamond in the rough". I think that's quite true, and I suspect that she'll be getting a lot of acting offers. Let's just hope she chooses her next roles wisely and doesn't end up in Corvette Summer II...

I have to say that I thought John Boyega also was great. Some of the comments directed his way before the release ('Stormtroopers can't be black!' etc.) were completely stupid. I thought that for an actor we've pretty much never heard of, he was superb at taking a blank slate and making a very likable, funny character out of nothing.

Adam Driver was terrific at portraying a villain torn between the dark side and the light. That scene on the bridge where you can see him struggling to decide what to do is excellent.