IGNORED

Off Topic - Anyone going to see Star Wars Force Awakens?

Rev

I certainly liked it better than all the prequels, but the originals were better.

This one felt more like "Star Wars" than the prequels, but this movie suffered from being a product of the times and is a bit too...something... that I can't quite put my finger on.

This statement pretty much nails my feeling while walking out of the theater. Is it possible that simply too much time has passed to release a sequel that is properly contiguous with episode VI ? The Empire remnants have had at least twenty eight years to regroup, get beaten, and form again into the First Order.

Reading some of the books released over the years sort of spoiled my ability to appreciate this latest movie, especially after realizing that most of those plots are being set aside. It's as though the new republic never properly formed, and everyone is back to being rebels / resistance fighters.

The good guys would have had to screw up royally and consistently over the years to reach the status quo presented in episode VII. Has a rebel boot ever set foot on Coruscant aka Imperial Center since the destruction of Death Star #2 ? The mind boggles.... :-o

I must be one of the very few who still prefer Episode 3 ....

I like episode 3 a little better than 6. Of the original movies, Return of the Jedi had some issues and was the weakest of those three. I like episode 6, but I don't love it like episodes 4 and 5 (the 2 best in the whole series).

Episode 3 has issues as well. I think people hate it more than it deserves because episode 2 and especially episode 1 were just so awful.

I like episode 3 a little better than 6. Of the original movies, Return of the Jedi had some issues and was the weakest of those three. I like episode 6, but I don't love it like episodes 4 and 5 (the 2 best in the whole series).

Episode 3 has issues as well. I think people hate it more than it deserves because episode 2 and especially episode 1 were just so awful.

Yeah, that's pretty much this

As for me, here's my favorite ones

- Ep 5

- Ep 4

- Ep 6

- Ep 3

- Ep 7

- Ep 1

- Ep 2

Why am I the only one that did not care for this movie? Thank God we'll always have the original trilogy.

Me either. I think this article expresses the problem: http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-star-wars-the-force-awakens-stinks-20151226-column.html

I blame Disney, which in its modern incarnation is so intent on offending no one that it insists on choking the life out of its productions. And if the following doesn't convince you that Disney has gone over to the dark side, then you have gone over to the dark side. http://www.techtimes.com/articles/103045/20151104/disney-discontinuing-slave-leia-star-wars-merchandise.htm

FWIW, I liked the prequel trilogy well enough.

Me either. I think this article expresses the problem: http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-star-wars-the-force-awakens-stinks-20151226-column.html

I blame Disney, which in its modern incarnation is so intent on offending no one that it insists on choking the life out of its productions. And if the following doesn't convince you that Disney has gone over to the dark side, then you have gone over to the dark side. http://www.techtimes.com/articles/103045/20151104/disney-discontinuing-slave-leia-star-wars-merchandise.htm

FWIW, I liked the prequel trilogy well enough.

Sure, sure, sure. I see, because some did not like the movie, it must be crap, and those who enjoyed it must be delusional. Yadda, yadda, yadda. :roll:

Who cares. I liked the movie, enough to have watched it twice, and ready to watch it a few more. I'm not a "Star Wars fan" in the sense of a geek buying merchandise and wearing stormtrooper t-shirts. Nor did I ever read any of those books that came out after the movies, or followed the so-called "Expanded Universe." Personally, I didn't much care about the first two sequels.

To me Star Wars means the same thing it meant when I first saw it at six years-old: spaceships, lasers, droids, x-wing fighters, stormtroopers, and Death Stars blowing up planets. That's the reason I enjoyed the video games "X-Wing," "Tie Fighter," and "Rogue Squadron"; but didn't care much for loftier stuff like "Something-Something Of The Old Republic" or "Star Wars Galaxies."

So I like the original Star Wars. It's one of my favourite movies in the sense that I enjoy immensely every single time that I have seen it, and I've seen it plenty of times. However, it's not high art, it does not call for deep introspection, and I surely can find plenty of other movies that I find significantly more satisfying -- emotionally as well as intellectually. Yet, I still enjoy watching X-wings fly through a trench and blowing up the Death Star, just like I did almost 40 years ago.

The Force Awakens reminds me of that. It is derivative (but so was Star Wars). It is flawed (just like Star Wars). It is full of plot holes (kinda like Star Wars). But who the f*ck cares? Well, I guess you do.

I don't, so I'll just enjoy it as much as I want; while you can go on hating Lucas or Disney or the "Corporate America" boogyman, and decrying how they single-handedly destroyed the once pristine America and rotted our brains with their merchandising pulp. :roll:

Meh.

-dZ.

Sure, sure, sure. I see, because some did not like the movie, it must be crap, and those who enjoyed it must be delusional. Yadda, yadda, yadda. :roll:

Who cares. I liked the movie, enough to have watched it twice, and ready to watch it a few more. I'm not a "Star Wars fan" in the sense of a geek buying merchandise and wearing stormtrooper t-shirts. Nor did I ever read any of those books that came out after the movies, or followed the so-called "Expanded Universe." Personally, I didn't much care about the first two sequels.

To me Star Wars means the same thing it meant when I first saw it at six years-old: spaceships, lasers, droids, x-wing fighters, stormtroopers, and Death Stars blowing up planets. That's the reason I enjoyed the video games "X-Wing," "Tie Fighter," and "Rogue Squadron"; but didn't care much for loftier stuff like "Something-Something Of The Old Republic" or "Star Wars Galaxies."

So I like the original Star Wars. It's one of my favourite movies in the sense that I enjoy immensely every single time that I have seen it, and I've seen it plenty of times. However, it's not high art, it does not call for deep introspection, and I surely can find plenty of other movies that I find significantly more satisfying -- emotionally as well as intellectually. Yet, I still enjoy watching X-wings fly through a trench and blowing up the Death Star, just like I did almost 40 years ago.

The Force Awakens reminds me of that. It is derivative (but so was Star Wars). It is flawed (just like Star Wars). It is full of plot holes (kinda like Star Wars). But who the f*ck cares? Well, I guess you do.

I don't, so I'll just enjoy it as much as I want; while you can go on hating Lucas or Disney or the "Corporate America" boogyman, and decrying how they single-handedly destroyed the once pristine America and rotted our brains with their merchandising pulp. :roll:

Meh.

-dZ.

Well said, DZ, I m a fan of this one as well, captured the feel of the first 3 movies for sure... brought me back to 77 ,

Meh.

-dZ.

well said. Except i do own 5 star wars t-shirts. 2 are storm trooper ones. :)

I liked the movie too, but as others have said, I wished the story had felt more original. I think it's J.J. Abrams. Though an excellent movie maker, he's been doing the same thing with the "reboot" of the Star Trek movies. I don't need a dozen references to the earlier films sprinkled throughout the new ones. And along with being entertained, I want to leave the theater pondering some things about the human condition. Good movies have me doing that, and the original Star Trek and Star Wars usually did. I'm looking forward to the next chapters of both and hoping they get back to more of what makes each franchise great.

Meh.

-dZ.

By the way, this reply was specifically aimed at the comments on the movie, not as a personal attack. If you are the David Rolfe I think you are, then you should I know I admire your work and creativity immensely. :)

-dZ.

My post expressed personal distaste for the new installment and specific disgust with Disney, but nowhere did I insult or imply insult to or disapproval of people who enjoyed "The Force Awakens". The thread posed a personal question; I gave a personal answer. Why do you put those insulting words in my mouth? My comment of "...then you have gone over to the dark side" was a specific reference to a news article announcing Disney's decision to remove all Leia-in-chains images (from Episode VI with Jabba the Hutt) from its commercial line in consequence of a corporate decision to distance itself from the risqué (I would say "politically incorrect") costume. My comment was meant in a playful sense (the "force" and its "dark side" being fictional creations of the franchise), so the only people who can even make a case that I challenged them personally are those that agree that Disney did the right thing in this decision. Just curious; is anybody supporting Disney on this point? Do you think the world's a better place for the removal of those juicy Leia dolls and t-shirts? Hey, Carrie Fisher wasn't exactly a world-class actress, so flaunting her menaced body was her best (and only) career move. In that sense Disney has done both her and her drooling pre- and post-pubescent fans (I'll include myself in that group) a gross disservice. For that matter Mark Hamill's Star Wars performance was less than stellar, but he seems to have invested his profits in a good acting school, with visible result (I'm thinking of the dramatic cameo as "Cocknocker" in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back", not to mention "Crow" in "Sushi Girl"). And, getting back on the subject of trashing Disney, do you think Disney improved Pirates of the Caribbean by making the pirates chase food instead of women? Because I don't! There, I said it! I've acknowledged my past and ongoing complicity in maintaining the ancient and oppressive evil ways! In so doing, I make myself the valid punching bag of every right-thinking do-gooder in this and every other galaxy. Now you've got a valid basis to trash me! And trash George Lucas while you're at it, because he recently said he sold the Star Wars franchise to "white slavers" (http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-george-lucas-disney-white-slavers-1201669959/). So go for it! Release your anger! Only your hatred can destroy me!

Edited by David Rolfe