IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon.....new console from Coleco

lucifershalo

The whole thing is a little too Frankenstein's Monster for me. It's like selling a console that plays PSX games in a Dreamcast shell.

The Jag controllers already have number keys to them, why not just go all out and get the Jag controller molds too, instead of pushing a a WiiU controller with an adapter?

So when you play games, you don't actually look at the TV screen, you keep staring at the console? :P

The way the console looks is part of the experience. It is important in selling it on Kickstarter that it looks cool. It is also important that it look cool for online and/or retail stores. If no one buys the console because it looks bad, or reminds them of the Jaguar, then developers won't make any games for it.

How can we trust them to make a great piece of hardware, if they can't even make a decent case? They should be proud of the hardware they designed, and put some effort in making a case that shows off how great the system is.

The whole point of this is to go back to physical media with actual game carts, and real game cases and instruction books. So how stuff looks is a very important part of this. With digital games, and digital media, how stuff looks and the cover art don't matter.

Edited by Hannacek
  • Like 2

While the Coleco brand attachment is obviously just a nostalgia trip, it's also not like even IF the original Coleco was back in the game they'd have any credibility nowadays, regardless. So, if it gives some people their jollies, I'm cool with it. Just way, way strange that the RVGS could be a successor in spirit to a Colecovision. I just would not want to go through the trouble of designing/funding my own console from the ground up and share any positives with the Coleco people for literally no return besides a few headlines. The Coleco brand is essentially totally unknown. Even if you're a hardcore retro gamer, there's still a good chance you don't own a Colecovision, let alone a functioning one.

Carl, thanks as always for swimming through the gobbledegook and objectively reporting what you find. Makes it a lot easier to follow this stuff!

Thank you for reading it. I am nearing 125 hours total in covering this thing and knowing people are reading it, and appreciating the results, make it worth it. Please share with your friends and help spread the word. As long as there is interest in this stuff I will continue to cover it.

• Like 5

Oy, damn, guys. This product DOES actually interest me a bit, as I'm curious how they're going to line up the classic games and what they're really going to shoot for. But everyone here has to realize we're not the target audience. This is a system for people who don't tweak MESS to get every last accurate frame, or mod old systems for HDMI output, or aren't collectors willing to shell out $60 for a homebrew. This is for those guys my age that fondly remember some classic games and would like to play them again and that's it.

So before the end of the world is announced, let's be a little bit more like Lenny Bruce and actually see what's going on this time, shall we?

Oy, damn, guys. This product DOES actually interest me a bit, as I'm curious how they're going to line up the classic games and what they're really going to shoot for. But everyone here has to realize we're not the target audience. This is a system for people who don't tweak MESS to get every last accurate frame, or mod old systems for HDMI output, or aren't collectors willing to shell out $60 for a homebrew. This is for those guys my age that fondly remember some classic games and would like to play them again and that's it.

So before the end of the world is announced, let's be a little bit more like Lenny Bruce and actually see what's going on this time, shall we?

Uhm, yeah actually WE KNOW DAMN WELL WHAT IS GOING ON lol. It is the RetroVGS re-branded and the train is pulling out again preparing for the big wreck. Has nothing to do with the "target audience", if you had been following the thread on the RetroVGS you would know this, honestly if you don't think the members of Atariage are primarily the target audience anyway well keep in mind we ARE the niche market that buys this stuff ALONG WITH ORIGINAL HARDWARE we buy the Flashbacks , plug n plays etc ;)

If you think we are harsh or jumping the gun it is because we know precisely what is going on and the missteps, history and behavior of the the people behind it as opposed to people blindly going in and taking everything at face value as it appears or as they are told by articles, press releases and the hype machine. :P

• Like 2

But everyone here has to realize we're not the target audience.

But I think we ARE the target audience, right? I mean, not just the CV forum, but AtariAge in general, meaning retro gamers, right? Here are some of my thoughts and musings about this whole thing...

When it was originally introduced as the RetroVGS, a console that had an FPGA system built into that meant you could plug in adapters to play carts from systems like Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari, etc, to me, that was AWESOME! I think many of us had wished that our CV would have had more expansion modules that played other systems game, other than just Expansion Module #1, and to me that system was really something that I could get behind. And aside from that, it sounded like it also emulated other systems as well as had some new carts come out for it. Those things were cool, too. But...

As the system that ended up going to IndieGOGO and failed, unless I read it totally wrong, just seemed like a system that could play classic systems via an emulator, and new "retro style" games would be made for it. I didn't get why this was appealing.

IMO, that system didn't sound much more exciting than a Raspberry Pi, OUYA, or even my original XBOX that I had loaded tons of emulators on it, and have been playing for years. Sure, the idea of an HDMI output was cool, but the Pi does that also, as do many other systems or your own PC to play emulated classic games.

As for "new games made in retro style," well... as much as I respect companies like CollectorVision, I personally want to see them make new games for OLD systems, ColecoVision, Intellivision, SNES, etc. I think it's great that they are on board with this idea, but I'm not their customer specifically for the RetroVGS/CVC. If I want to play a "retro game" on a new system, IMO, that's what companies like Yacht Club produce with games like Shovel Knight on current gen systems.

So what it boils down is, I just didn't see the point in the RetroVGS. Who IS the target audience? If it's just going to be an all-in-one emulator machine like the Raspberry Pi where I can load up all my old ROMs I guess that's cool, but honestly a bit redundant. That's already out there. Maybe they plan to market the crap out of it so that people who are casually into retro games can have a go-to system for their classic gaming needs? But then again, wasn't that kind of the directive of the RetroVGS that failed?

I would love more than anything to see an all-in-one system be produced and succeed that many of us could use to play our favorite carts we have collected (or at least plug in something like an AtariMax, Harmony, etc) as well as bring awareness to the retro and homebrew community, but I'm not convinced this is the machine. It seemed to have gotten so close only to fall short in the 11th Hour.

Going back to the post I quoted, if this machine isn't for retro gamers, then who is it for? I feel that RetroVGS has done a very poor job during their entire campaign, including this latest round of news, making it clear to anyone just who their customer actually is.

• Like 2

Eh, not any actual information about that system... just scary drunk fanbois. :P

Seriously, this is clearly a retooled and revised product. I'm not saying that it's good or bad, and it's not like I'm pre-ordering or anything, but I would really like to see some specs, or even a game on it, before I declare it worse than the Prequel Trilogy, the Twilight Movies, and Fifty Shades combined.

As for us being 'the Retro Gamers', try to keep in mind that we're really not - not in the marketing sense anyway. We're like Bubbles on 11... HARDCORE. We're probably going to be beyond this product anyway. But, my sister-in-law just dug out her old 2600 and TG-16 and her family is playing it insanely... THOSE are the guys for whom this product is made.

Us? We're actually rebuilding the original consoles, for chrissakes!

Edited by Jaynz

At first I thought this was a re-packaged ColecoVision that could play CV cartridges.

Now that it's turned out to be another multi-emulator, I'm kind of disappointed.

I do like the idea of a retro system that plays cartridges and allows for new games to be developed for it. Problem is, for that to work, it would take a pretty huge company to back it and to make it viable for developers.

No. We are not going to wait around. We already know the nonsense being spewed forth.

You think you're gonna be playing your original Colecovision games? Think again. They said 8, 16, and 32-bit styled games. Get it? S-T-Y-L-E-D. And that means remakes. And remakes means using hi-res graphics and modern sound to give you a game that looks like the original, but isn't.

The only way you'll play the original games you had as a kid is through the original hardware bought on ebay which is then repaired and refurbished by your local tech whiz. Or through emulation.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

You think you're gonna be playing your original Colecovision games? Think again. They said 8, 16, and 32-bit styled games. Get it? S-T-Y-L-E-D. And that means remakes. And remakes means using hi-res graphics and modern sound to give you a game that looks like the original, but isn't.

Nope, looks like they're shooting to revisit that era for their releases, but not direct ports. And, here's the thing, they've never promised that for this product. At all. So you're raging against a straw-man.

All I'm saying is that I would like to see some actual hard data before I get the torches and head for Frankenstein's castle. Is that really ridiculous of me?

Edited by Jaynz

But, from what I can tell, the people who did the shenanigans and tomfoolery aren't the ones in charge now. ToyFair's only two months away, and by them I'm sure we'll get more word on what's really going on with this thing. In my view, the worst case would be that it's another Ouya...

But, from what I can tell, the people who did the shenanigans and tomfoolery aren't the ones in charge now. ToyFair's only two months away, and by them I'm sure we'll get more word on what's really going on with this thing. In my view, the worst case would be that it's another Ouya...

Actually, I think the worse case would be that they don't show an actual working prototype at the Toy Fair. Just more promises.

That's just what we need: More Coleco vaporware! :lol:

• Like 2