IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon.....new console from Coleco

lucifershalo

But, from what I can tell, the people who did the shenanigans and tomfoolery aren't the ones in charge now. ToyFair's only two months away, and by them I'm sure we'll get more word on what's really going on with this thing. In my view, the worst case would be that it's another Ouya...

The same person is in charge.

I'd say "another Ouya" would be a lofty goal.

• Like 3

Actually, I think the worse case would be that they don't show an actual working prototype at the Toy Fair. Just more promises.

That would surprise me, given that there's a holding company involved. They're rather demanding about seeing positive returns on their buyouts. But if that does happen, this would indeed be a dead product. The holding company would keep the IP, and tech , lose the people, and look at reselling it to make their cash back. At this stage, it's a lot like making promises to a man in a fine Pizza diner named Guido...

That's just what we need: More Coleco vaporware! :lol:

That would be ONE way to honor Coleco faithfully. :P

That would surprise me, given that there's a holding company involved. They're rather demanding about seeing positive returns on their buyouts. But if that does happen, this would indeed be a dead product. The holding company would keep the IP, and tech , lose the people, and look at reselling it to make their cash back. At this stage, it's a lot like making promises to a man in a fine Pizza diner named Guido...

I don't think River West Brands would have access to the IP, the tech, the people, or the product. They're just renting out the name and logo. That's all. Just the name and logo. Nothing more.

You could invent a new toothbrush, call them up, and you might be able to put the Coleco name and logo on your toothbrush. They would consider it from a present and future dollars point of view.

• Like 2

so, if I'm not mistaken, my take at from that video was:

"Haha.. cough. . Wtf..wtf. wtf is going on. They removed the Genesis ports (huh?). Wtf? See what AtariAge has to say.

I want one in piss yellow... etc"

the video was just vulgar and annoying.

Try THIS one then..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHUw1Vytm0M

• Like 1

Eh, not any actual information about that system... just scary drunk fanbois. :PSeriously, this is clearly a retooled and revised product. I'm not saying that it's good or bad, and it's not like I'm pre-ordering or anything, but I would really like to see some specs, or even a game on it, before I declare it worse than the Prequel Trilogy, the Twilight Movies, and Fifty Shades combined.As for us being 'the Retro Gamers', try to keep in mind that we're really not - not in the marketing sense anyway. We're like Bubbles on 11... HARDCORE. We're probably going to be beyond this product anyway. But, my sister-in-law just dug out her old 2600 and TG-16 and her family is playing it insanely... THOSE are the guys for whom this product is made.Us? We're actually rebuilding the original consoles, for chrissakes!

Those people are not going to Kickstart anything. The point is they need the diehards to advance beyond the Kickstarter process.

I don't think River West Brands would have access to the IP, the tech, the people, or the product. They're just renting out the name and logo. That's all. Just the name and logo. Nothing more.

You could invent a new toothbrush, call them up, and you might be able to put the Coleco name and logo on your toothbrush. They would consider it from a present and future dollars point of view.

This's not how it works actually...

Having bought an defunct company name/logo myself

You've to provide some examples on how you're going to use the name/logo (to both State and Federal)

It have to be connected with the former name/logo on how it was previously used.... (I.E. a product connected with the brand)

Edited by retroillucid

Looks like they're not even bothering with kick-starting this time, and going right to corporate funding...

They still have Kickstarter logos all over their Photoshops of the "Coleco" branded device. I also doubt that the company that holds the Coleco IP has the financial ability to back much of anything. My understanding is that they just license the name out in exchange for payment from various licensees. If you have facts to support your claim that this is being corporately funded in any significant way, I'd love to see it.

• Like 1

They still have Kickstarter logos all over their Photoshops of the "Coleco" branded device. I also doubt that the company that holds the Coleco IP has the financial ability to back much of anything. My understanding is that they just license the name out in exchange for payment from various licensees. If you have facts to support your claim that this is being corporately funded in any significant way, I'd love to see it.

As would I. As far as I can find on this "partnership" it is a license deal with RETRO VGS Inc paying Coleco Holdings to use the name. I have yet to find any proof that Coleco Hodlings is providing any financial support for this project (I think this is similar to the AtGames licensing deal for the Flashback).

• Like 1

This's not how it works actually...

Having bought an defunct company name/logo myself

You've to provide some examples on how you're going to use the name/logo (to both State and Federal)

It have to be connected with the former name/logo on how it was previously used.... (I.E. a product connected with the brand)

You may need to provide that information, but a brand name is not limited to one set of products, such as video games or toys (or whatever). They (River West Brands) are free to do "brand extension" by selling or arranging the selling of mugs, t-shirts, toothbrushes, dolls, or many other things under the Coleco name.

• Like 2

You may need to provide that information, but a brand name is not limited to one set of products, such as video games or toys (or whatever). They (River West Brands) are free to do "brand extension" by selling or arranging the selling of mugs, t-shirts, toothbrushes, dolls, or many other things under the Coleco name.

Could be the case for them, who knows...

But in our case, we can't do that when using the former company name/logo we bought

Not tha we can't make any other things than games, but it would need to be connected for sure

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 1

As would I. As far as I can find on this "partnership" it is a license deal with RETRO VGS Inc paying Coleco Holdings to use the name. I have yet to find any proof that Coleco Hodlings is providing any financial support for this project (I think this is similar to the AtGames licensing deal for the Flashback).

Other than what looks like leftover art in some places, I'm not seeing another Kickstarter attempt. Plus, a kickstarter, even if it started now, would make a ToyFair deadline impossible. (Besides, this is kinda what River West Brands DOES, keep in mind. If they're going to revitalize a brand name, they're fronting the bill.)

Like in the video said, why Coleco Chameleon has Atari Jaguar case?

Never seen an Atari Jaguar? Here it is.

post-1196-0-80744700-1450491790_thumb.jpg

Most people won't buy it.

People today won't care 8-32 bit games anyway when they can play better resolutions, 64 bit.

They're free online games on the internet, Why would you want to play 4 players when you can play thousands in multiplayers?

Other than what looks like leftover art in some places, I'm not seeing another Kickstarter attempt. Plus, a kickstarter, even if it started now, would make a ToyFair deadline impossible. (Besides, this is kinda what River West Brands DOES, keep in mind. If they're going to revitalize a brand name, they're fronting the bill.)

Well, there is still a Kickstarter logo on their Facebook, so.

It's sad that the Coleco name and indirectly, the ColecoVision name, keep getting whored out by River West Brands/Coleco Holdings for garbage products. Well, I take that back, at least the Opcode Super Game Module was worthy and while the AtGames CV Flashback was a big disappointment in my eyes, it at least succeeded in generating some interest/rekindled nostalgia in the CV and shed some mainstream light on the retro/homebrew community.

• Like 6

I'll give the retrovgs people credit, they don't give up on trying to get this thing made. They really seem to believe in it. They're the only ones but hey.

First, ditch that controller. If that's the controller they're going to include, just don't include a controller at all. Make it so that you can interface with any generic bluetooth controller like the 8bitdo controllers. Or at least let it work with a bluetooth dongle add on. USB is not enough.

If it's a retro system, you don't need an analog stick. You just don't. why not add gyro's while you're at it then.

I'd make the first target system for the FPGA something like the Gameboy Advance. It's relatively recent enough that companies can port their old GBA IP's to this thing, and maybe make use of a 4 face button controller. If they want to add future features through firmware upgrades, that's fine too.

Finally, I'd include some sort of online component to it. 32 bit games with online multiplayer could be interesting.

But that's just me.

If this system is claiming to do 8-Bit, consoles like the Atari 5200, Vectrex, Playstation, N64, etc need analog controls. Digital controls are fine and there are substitutions for those consoles but I like having options. Who knows if this system will even emulate these old consoles or what the hells going on with this thing in the first place, these guys have me so confused anymore.. I'm just going to sit back and watch, just like before. I'm banking on this toy show unveiling, that's the put up or shut up moment and they better have something legit to show. Actions speak louder than words and we'll see soon enough.. February isn't far away. I just hope the ColecoVision or Coleco names don't get trashed in the process if things go awry once again. It's terrible idea to rush the product like that, it could be the final nail in the coffin.. again, we'll see. However, I'm hoping for the best and wish them luck.. they'll need it! :)

• Like 2