IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon.....new console from Coleco

lucifershalo

Other than what looks like leftover art in some places, I'm not seeing another Kickstarter attempt. Plus, a kickstarter, even if it started now, would make a ToyFair deadline impossible. (Besides, this is kinda what River West Brands DOES, keep in mind. If they're going to revitalize a brand name, they're fronting the bill.)

I do not understand why you are so willing to give these jokers the benefit of the doubt. Did you miss the whole RetroVGS debacle? Have you not seen the crap that has come out with the modern "Coleco" brand on it in the last decade?

Since the answer is apparently "no, let's see what they show at Toy Fair," let me fill you in:

Mike Kennedy has been unable to get his public story straight even while asking for TWO MILLION DOLLARS to fund his original dream console. They never showed a finished, original game, nor specs for any manner of prototype. Zero public details have been provided about his new venture so unless you have inside information, it's not like you know what they're planning.

To River West, "Coleco" as a brand is like Silkience shampoo or Brim instant coffee -- dead, but these guys will sell the name to anyone who promises them a cut of the action. I have seen zero evidence that they could "front" anything. To suggest "this is what they do" is the same line of appeal-to-authority Mike K uses when suggesting he's "in talks" with Capcom and Konami.

I'm vaguely interested in seeing what they do at Toy Fair too, but because of what has come before, my attitude is one of guilty until proven innocent. The Retro team has done nothing to inspire loyalty, hope, or even good wishes from me. I'm just following it to see what stupid thing they say or do next.

• Like 3

Who needs consoles based cartridge today?

Cartridges are out because they cost too much to make.

That's why consoles used cds/dvds/blu-rays format as the new formats are cheaper to make.

Also Chameleon won't run Colecovision/2600 cartridges anyway unless I missed something.

All games need to create from scratch.

Edited by Serguei2
  • Like 1

Has anyone wondered why this is being shown at the New York toy fair? How many game developers attend that show? How many gaming press members? Kind of weird that they are looking to show it off to "potential" stores with NO games to show (that we know of), no box art for those games (a big problem for stores- they tend to like to know what you are wanting to put on their shelves) and at this point, no funding to get this off the ground.

Just some thoughts there.

• Like 3

I do not understand why you are so willing to give these jokers the benefit of the doubt. Did you miss the whole RetroVGS debacle? Have you not seen the crap that has come out with the modern "Coleco" brand on it in the last decade?

Before I put a bullet into someone's brain I prefer to be sure exactly whom I'm shooting.

I'm not giving them the 'benefit' of anything. Having seen so many projects start and fail (including, I'll remind you, quite a few that's appeared on this very forum), I prefer to be a spectator at this early stage and not place down any bets. Again, I'm not fronting them money, nor am I currently losing anything. I'm curious at how this will shake out, nothing more. I can hope for a good product, but I have no real expectations.

So to rival your question, why are you acting like these folks shot your dog?

Before I put a bullet into someone's brain I prefer to be sure exactly whom I'm shooting.

I'm not giving them the 'benefit' of anything. Having seen so many projects start and fail (including, I'll remind you, quite a few that's appeared on this very forum), I prefer to be a spectator at this early stage and not place down any bets. Again, I'm not fronting them money, nor am I currently losing anything. I'm curious at how this will shake out, nothing more. I can hope for a good product, but I have no real expectations.

So to rival your question, why are you acting like these folks shot your dog?

They drew first blood when they basically referenced AA and called a couple guys who a lot of people here like drunks. After that, all bets were off until they proved they had a great product.

• Like 4

Where are the games? Who will make the games?

It looks like CollectorVision is on board to make games, and is that it? Is Retro VGS Inc not even making any games themselves?

I like CollectorVision, but why would people buy this new console, when they can play CollectorVision games on consoles they already own: ColecoVision, Intellivision, NES, SNES, WiiU shop, ect.

Most games will be multi-platform giving no incentive to buy this new console. If there is no killer app like Mario Bros for the NES, Sonic for the Genesis, or Halo for the Xbox, then people won't buy the console, and developers will have no reason to make games for a system that has no units sold.

Edited by Hannacek
  • Like 2

It looks like CollectorVision is on board to make games, and is that it? Is Retro VGS Inc not even making any games themselves?

At this point, We're on board for 1 game only (nothing more)

And that was Under contract for the former RetroVGS system

Now, my personal opinion (I don't know if I should, but heck!)

A month ago, I received the information about RetroVGS switching to Coleco Chameleon

Since THIS VERY day, I'm completely pissed off they're using the Coleco branding for something like that!

What the fuck it have to do with the former branding!!!

See, you just can't use the Coleco brand name and slap it on anything you want hoping you'll sell tons of them!

Colecovision fans don't want a new console that would play new games, THEY ALREADY HAVE THAT!

propose a new RELIABLE Colecovision console with modern output

Heck!, why not starting with new Controller before a new console

Everything is vented now....

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 4

"Pipercub

Posted Yesterday, 11:09 PM

Say what you will, but I have converted over to bulk power in the last few months."

*DISCLAIMER: A conversion to bulk power should only be attempted in consultation with the best patent attorneys in Silicon Valley.

What does this mean? I thought "bulk power" was just hooking up to the power company (as opposed to generating your own)?

To River West, "Coleco" as a brand is like Silkience shampoo or Brim instant coffee -- dead, but these guys will sell the name to anyone who promises them a cut of the action. I have seen zero evidence that they could "front" anything. To suggest "this is what they do" is the same line of appeal-to-authority Mike K uses when suggesting he's "in talks" with Capcom and Konami.

Silkience!! I loved that shampoo when I was a kid. It was futuristic and self-calibrating. Unlike anything else. And when it was gonna be a space game only night, we'd all wash our hair with it. Made the room smell pretty too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mankatt/3945869965/in/pool-993589@N21/

This is the only retro system that would make sense to me. Hope Kevin one day is able to complete this one!

Kevtris' FPGA Based Videogame System

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/

In reviewing the psychology of the thread, we can tell it's gonna be a long wait. If ever. And that's ok.

What does this mean? I thought "bulk power" was just hooking up to the power company (as opposed to generating your own)?

Just a joke. It was a reference to the infamous "RVGS Prototype Labs" video. If you haven't already seen it, this should answer your questions ... actually, if you're like most people, it will probably raise even more questions than it answers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJb22Buvbk