IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon.....new console from Coleco

lucifershalo

Here's our game running on the Coleco Chameleon :)

Or more appropriately "Caverns of Death Prototype # 1 soon to be on eBay for $1,000.00 when the Chameleon crashes and burns!"

Kudos for making the game J-F but that system was a turd, and still is...and as the old saying goes "you just can't polish a turd."

Or more appropriately "Caverns of Death Prototype # 1 soon to be on eBay for $1,000.00 when the Chameleon crashes and burns!"

Kudos for making the game J-F but that system was a turd, and still is...and as the old saying goes "you just can't polish a turd."

Which is why I'll be getting the SNES versions... :P

Even though the Colecovision is really my favorite classic console, I'm not really big into the fandom scene for it. When I've been asked why I'm not, I have to respond, "Well, the groups seem to be filled with self-important jackasses that would embarrass #4chan. " And if I ever get asked for proof, I'll just have to point them to this thread.

There's a lot to be said for being professional and polite, and not being elitist snobs more interested in flaming people's efforts (whatever they may be) than actually contributing to the fandom and hobby...

Even though the Colecovision is really my favorite classic console, I'm not really big into the fandom scene for it. When I've been asked why I'm not, I have to respond, "Well, the groups seem to be filled with self-important jackasses that would embarrass #4chan. " And if I ever get asked for proof, I'll just have to point them to this thread.

Then you're looking at the wrong threads. I've only been in this community for a year, and these are some of nicest, most helpful enthusiastic people I've ever virtually met. Sorry you haven't seen the good that this community does. And you're missing out on some absolutely FANTASTIC games! ;)

• Like 6

There's a lot to be said for being professional and polite, and not being elitist snobs more interested in flaming people's efforts (whatever they may be) than actually contributing to the fandom and hobby...

Very disappointing to hear. Being a long term resident of this community I am taken aback by the impression you have been left with and would suggest that you dig a little deeper into the forums - I'm sure you would change your mind. As TPR said, there have been some incredible games produced for the CV by the homebrew community here and you're very much missing out if you don't give yourself a chance to play them. After all, at the end of the day that's what this is really about - the games.

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 2

Then you're looking at the wrong threads. I've only been in this community for a year, and these are some of nicest, most helpful enthusiastic people I've ever virtually met. Sorry you haven't seen the good that this community does. And you're missing out on some absolutely FANTASTIC games! ;)

I agree, I think there are only a few of the self-important, self-serving kind, and perhaps they are more vocal than average so there appears to be more of them. Most I have had the pleasure of connecting with here are quite friendly, gracious and knowledgeable, and they're more than willing to share their knowledge. Exchanging ideas, buying, selling and trading with this group has been a blast.

• Like 4

I always felt the system would do well as a beginner game programmer console. I thought it would be good to have a Commodore/Atari built in style BASIC built right in so you can bang out something really fast. I thought that if they included the proper docs and IDE that allows other programmers to program in BASIC, C++, Assembly with a supported IDE, it would allow the system to find a real niche that is just not covered yet.

There are a lot of beginner type game makers that would love to program and grow with a console to make games and apps for. I can imagine the community support would be a great asset in sharing techniques and ideas as well.

This type of model would be great as those who just want to play games can buy games, those who want to learn can learn and those who want to push the console to the iron can make and sell games.

I am on Steam and I have found the App Game Kit http://store.steampowered.com/sub/82281/ to be a pretty good example of this. It allows for BASIC and C for app development for phones and PCs, but not consoles.. much less a retro console.

If they went this direction I would certainly jump right on the bandwagon..

In any case I wish the team good luck as I know they are facing challenges to bringing this product to the market.

I always felt the system would do well as a beginner game programmer console. I thought it would be good to have a Commodore/Atari built in style BASIC built right in so you can bang out something really fast. I thought that if they included the proper docs and IDE that allows other programmers to program in BASIC, C++, Assembly with a supported IDE, it would allow the system to find a real niche that is just not covered yet.

There are a lot of beginner type game makers that would love to program and grow with a console to make games and apps for. I can imagine the community support would be a great asset in sharing techniques and ideas as well.

This type of model would be great as those who just want to play games can buy games, those who want to learn can learn and those who want to push the console to the iron can make and sell games.

I am on Steam and I have found the App Game Kit http://store.steampowered.com/sub/82281/ to be a pretty good example of this. It allows for BASIC and C for app development for phones and PCs, but not consoles.. much less a retro console.

If they went this direction I would certainly jump right on the bandwagon..

In any case I wish the team good luck as I know they are facing challenges to bringing this product to the market.

I read somewhere Commodore 64 is supposed to be a console but Commodore decided it could be a computer instead.

Do you suggest Coleco Chameleon should be a computer?

A video game is meant to play games, not to make games.

I will just say I was approached and I politely declined to be part of the whole thing. After seeing pictures of what looks like a SNES jr PCB inside a Jaguar case running SNES cartridge PCBs at this weekend Toy Fair, I am glad I did so.

This is some serious s***.

• Like 7

I will just say I was approached and I politely declined to be part of the whole thing. After seeing pictures of what looks like a SNES jr PCB inside a Jaguar case running SNES cartridge PCBs at this weekend Toy Fair, I am glad I did so.

This is some serious s***.

Wow! As someone who spent a great deal of time working on SNES hardware, that's exactly what that looks like! Funny, this wouldn't be the first time a Coleco system was all smoke-in-mirrors at a trade show, would it? ;)

I read somewhere Commodore 64 is supposed to be a console but Commodore decided it could be a computer instead.

Do you suggest Coleco Chameleon should be a computer?

A video game is meant to play games, not to make games.

The C64 was a super successful computer / video game. I am not suggesting that the system should be a computer, but giving the functionality of allowing people to program for it, would be greatly beneficial for it. I do get the feeling that this system that is just meant to play games, may really struggle getting developers to make those games for that console. It seems like a chicken and egg problem.. Developers don't want to make games for it until many more people buy it.... and customers don't want to buy it until more developers make more games for it.. etc etc.

I think smaller newer systems really need to take a hard look at other niche markets as well, if they cannot get a big list of developers that are actually making games for the system.

• Like 1

Wow! As someone who spent a great deal of time working on SNES hardware, that's exactly what that looks like! Funny, this wouldn't be the first time a Coleco system was all smoke-in-mirrors at a trade show, would it? ;)

So, Chameleon is a snes console in a Jaguar shell and a Wii U gamepad. OUCH! :-o

Edited by Serguei2
  • Like 1

The prototype appears very suspicious.

It appears that the prototype is in a plastic case to obscure and hide what it really is.

I don't believe them when they say the controllers are hardwired. I think this is an excuse to hide the fact that they are SNES 3rd party controllers with the SNES connectors hidden inside the jaguar shell. There are 2 holes in the plastic case perfectly sized to allow regular snes controller cord plugs to fit through.

Edited by Hannacek
  • Like 1

The guys behind the Retro VGS (whoops... the Coleco Chameleon) and the current rights holders (River West Brands, Coleco Holdings.... whatever) to the Coleco name are a match made in heaven. Why anyone would want to work with these guys (past, present or future) is totally beyond my comprehensve abilities.

Aside from that, I wish them all the best. :roll:

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1