IGNORED

PC interface for the Adam Keyboard

intvdave

We have a working PC interface for the Adam keyboard. The interface connects to the PC using a USB port and presents the Adam keyboard as a Human Interface Device (HID). This will allow the Adam keyboard to be used in your PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) applications and emulators such as AdamEM and CoolCV. The interfaces does *not* emulate the AdamNet and is *not* to connect disk or tape drives.

Is there any interest in this type of product? I do not know what the cost of it will be. I am hoping around or less than $20.

• Like 3

I'b be interested in one as well. Between this and the Ultimate CV Adapter, all input devices will finally be usuable on the PC!!!

It would be nice if the AdamNet was emulated but I doubt many people would really care to connect an Adam 5'1/4 disk drive to a PC. Not that many really care to connect the keyboard but I do! I agree with Inky that it is one of the best keyboards from the classical systems.

It would be nice if the AdamNet was emulated but I doubt many people would really care to connect an Adam 5'1/4 disk drive to a PC. Not that many really care to connect the keyboard but I do! I agree with Inky that it is one of the best keyboards from the classical systems.

No, but I'd like to connect a regular floppy drive to the ADAM with or without AdamNet.

It would be nice if the AdamNet was emulated but I doubt many people would really care to connect an Adam 5'1/4 disk drive to a PC

ADAMnet has to be emulated (or maybe simulated somehow) in the Adamem and Mess emlators, but the source code for these emulators would have to be perused by someone.

No, but I'd like to connect a regular floppy drive to the ADAM with or without AdamNet.

There is the option of a Serial Interface and the Adamserve program by Rich Drushel. This setup allows one to use any PC floppy drives on the Adam. I have never tried it myself, but have heard it works.

I've been wanting one of these interfaces forever! I have one of the surplus ADAM keyboards that were sold back in the 80's at Radio Shack...just a ribbon cable coming out though. Any chance that may work that way, or am I going to need AdamNet?

I would assume that you will need the controller board from the keyboard as well that the ribbon cable attaches too.

I would assume that you will need the controller board from the keyboard as well that the ribbon cable attaches too.

NIAD is correct. The interface will have an RJ12 connection and require the interface connection that the ribbon cable of the keyboard connects to. I plan on posting a video of the unit in a couple of weeks.

Well if you wana cheat, I've been using my CV with Expansion Mod 3 (Adam) on my HP Laptop Dragon laptop (20 inch screen ;)) via QuickPlay software which uses the built in TV tuner .... You'll get Adam on your PC and still have to use the Adam keyboard ;)

Say what you will about the ADAM, it's still one of the best keyboards I've ever used.

Well if you wana cheat, I've been using my CV with Expansion Mod 3 (Adam) on my HP Laptop Dragon laptop (20 inch screen ;)) via QuickPlay software which uses the built in TV tuner .... You'll get Adam on your PC and still have to use the Adam keyboard ;)

True...true :)

Your solution is just a bit more bulky though. I want to be able to leave my setup in the living room without my wife wanting a divorce.

There is the option of a Serial Interface and the Adamserve program by Rich Drushel. This setup allows one to use any PC floppy drives on the Adam. I have never tried it myself, but have heard it works.

Oh? I'd love to know how that works. I'm far more likely to get a serial interface (probably from Bob Slopsema) than I would be to get an actual ADAM drive.

Oh? I'd love to know how that works. I'm far more likely to get a serial interface (probably from Bob Slopsema) than I would be to get an actual ADAM drive.

I never tried this setup myself, but have heard that others have done so with success. Of course you will need the ADAMserve software, an ADAM with a Serial Interface and serial cable and then a PC with Serial Interface and either or both 5 1/4" and 3 1/2" disk drives. I'm not sure if their is software required on the PC side and if there is, it would probably be DOS based.

I've attached the ADAM disk image for you, but I haven't looked at it to know what's included.

ADAMserve (1996) (Rich Drushel).dsk

It will be a lot easier to talk the serial protocol to a character device like the keyboard than emulating ADAMNet. It's certainly doable, you'd need a whole Master 6801 replacement, state machine and all, and emulate the behavior of the DCBs/PCB that's DMA'ed in memory.

I'd love to have a device that would do that that could be interfaced to ADAMEm.

But, for $20, I'd be down for the USB HID->ADAM Keyboard adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

video of the unit please! ;)

Thanks for sharing your video. Your request may soon be fulfilled.

Sorry for the delay. Here is a crappy video

https://youtu.be/2ifQ0iJ6QM8

but it shows the interface in action. You will see that all I had plugged into the laptop was the power cord. I attempted to show the light of the keyboard on after I plugged the interface in. The interface is a prototype so it is larger than it should be but it works!

Since this is a reality, I want to try to guage how many people really want one. Please send me a PM if you are interested and what you think you might be willing to pay for one. I am not going to set the final price off of what value you tie to this. If the selling price is higher than you would pay, then I would not expect you to buy one and would not include you in my price calculation. I do not know if the sweet price of $20 will be a reality. I am not expecting a large demand for this. Someone mentioned they wanted $3000 for the production of an interface. This is *not* an AdamNet interface nor will the total production cost be $3000 but every order will help to keep the selling price down.

• Like 1