IGNORED

Altirra 2.70 released

phaeron

Strange, here at about 1:07 the audio changes and you can hear that the pokey is out of rate.

2nd block of data, 4th buffer-load

Altrirra 2.80-test8, XL PAL / 64K.

But it seems random to me now too, sometimes it loads further, but most of the times not.

Seems that the OS is failing to correctly detect baud-rate.

Standard OS-rev2, nothing fancy with my work ;-)

Other info:

Mostly I have F1 pressed down to speed-up debugging, but that does not matter in this case.

I have a Atom330based-PC, windows 7, to slow for >1.79 Mhz emulation....

I have some standard .CAS-files for testing and Bruce Lee is one of them, no particular reason.

Later,

Sijmen.

Edited by mr-atari

Ah, that would be why I couldn't reproduce it -- I was testing in PAL. A classic OS bug strikes again. :(

118590:248:  1 | A=00 X=01 Y=00 (   IZ ) | ED88: 30 0C             BMI $ED96
  118590:248:  3 | A=00 X=01 Y=00 (   IZ ) | ED8A: AD 0B D4          LDA VCOUNT
  118590:248:  7 | A=7C X=01 Y=00 (   I  ) | ED8D: A4 14             LDY RTCLOK+2

The Atari OS has a bug where it will miscompute the baud rate if one of the two samples around the sync bytes lands immediately before the vertical blank interrupt. Unfortunately, the timing in the emulator is deterministic, so if you hit this at some point in the load, you'll hit it every time with the same settings. Yet another issue to waste time on, and yet another reason I hate tape.

• Like 3

Phaeron, what's the current deal with recognising myide, MIO etc roms in scanning mode?

Do things like MYide have to be set up by hand?

I know initially there was no way to recognise them but there's been so many beta's since those days I thought I'd ask. It finds the normal system roms fine but its the more exotic roms that it does not seem to see (or I have the wrong images)

Phaeron, what's the current deal with recognising myide, MIO etc roms in scanning mode?

Do things like MYide have to be set up by hand?

I know initially there was no way to recognise them but there's been so many beta's since those days I thought I'd ask. It finds the normal system roms fine but its the more exotic roms that it does not seem to see (or I have the wrong images)

I've found that scanning only picks up OS and BASIC type stuff, not U1MB, MIO, etc. So you have to manually add those.

Edited by fujidude

Thanks fuji, I presume there's no preferred CRC checks of the roms (other than the OS and Basics) out there to make sure you have the right roms (I have LOADS of roms with various names).

Would be nice to have a set that someone knows is full and correct of just those listed in the Altirra firmware window.

Are there any roms in the set that act as flashroms so update hence no one crc?

(apart from the SDX and U1M ones)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Update:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test9.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test9-src.zip

• AltirraOS: Cassette driver fixes for device ID and mode flag issues.
  • ATBasic: Added additional checks to clear partially loaded programs after a reset or failed load (now at 1.50).
  • Cartridge: Added code to try to autodetect 5200 16K one-chip vs. two-chip, the most annoying ambiguous case and rather difficult to detect. It gets about two thirds of the carts right. When it's not, the cart mapper dialog sorts the other 5200 mapper mode next to it so it's more obvious.
  • Debugger: Fix for breakpoints not working after a Step Over command. Thanks to danwinslow for reporting and testing.
  • Firmware: Added autodetection of some Black Box and MIO ROMs, and the 2-port version of the 5200 BIOS ROM.
  • Input: Fixed bug where if a preset input map was loaded or reloaded and then modified, the preset itself would be modified until restart.
  • Input: Fixed post-reset issue with CONSOL state that was breaking input in 5200 Pole Position.
  • Input: By default, 5200 and non-5200 presets are now partitioned when resetting input maps to default or loading defaults, and controllers within the input map for the wrong system type are automatically disabled.
  • POKEY: Improved accuracy of RANDOM shortly after exiting init mode.

The firmware UI only detects firmware images by CRC. It doesn't detect types of ROMs. Some types of firmware are particularly problematic in this regard. Ultimate1MB firmware, for instance, is split into multiple sections which are frequently mixed-and-matched, and there are a lot of versions out there. MyIDE and SIDE firmware is even worse because no particular firmware is needed to use the IDE portion and you can pretty much put anything in it.

• Like 7

Thank you Avery, great release..

Love the 5200 recognition and auto swap mode, as you say its not perfect but very handy as is the recognition of certain OS roms, make it easier to know you are using what you have tested it with as opposed the hundreds of variations / hacks out there, as for the others I'm sure someone will suggest / post the exact corrects ones so we can mask off the others with comparison software checks..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Question for you Avery, in 5200 mode PAL is greyed out because the 5200 was never released in a PAL country, fine, but NTSC 50 isn't greyed out so I thought I'd select it but it won't allow it, is that a mistake or is it because my cheap Samsung LCD only does 60 or 75Hz and its fixed to the refresh?

The only reason I ask is that to a PAL user things like Archon and Ball Blazer sound manic, purely cosmetic I know...I'm happy to be able to play the 5200 stuff, period, but just wondered why the NTSC 50 was available (ish) (and yes I know, to people wanting to write "play it in XL mode in PAL then")

Edit: Since saw I could select it in XL mode happily, so I presume its a mistake not greying it out when a 5200 is being ran?

Edited by Mclaneinc

Update:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test9.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test9-src.zip

• ATBasic: Added additional checks to clear partially loaded programs after a reset or failed load (now at 1.50).

The firmware UI only detects firmware images by CRC. It doesn't detect types of ROMs. Some types of firmware are particularly problematic in this regard. Ultimate1MB firmware, for instance, is split into multiple sections which are frequently mixed-and-matched, and there are a lot of versions out there. MyIDE and SIDE firmware is even worse because no particular firmware is needed to use the IDE portion and you can pretty much put anything in it.

Hi Avery. Thank you for the latest update! I notice a reference to a new version of Altirra BASIC, but I didn't find one within the .ZIP file. I suppose it is available if one selects to use Altirra BASIC in the settings? Since I emulate a U1MB, I like to put ATBASIC in one of the slots of that. Sometimes I like to just launch it as an executable file too. Is there a way to download the 1.50 ATBASIC as a executable file or ROM?

Hi Avery. Thank you for the latest update! I notice a reference to a new version of Altirra BASIC, but I didn't find one within the .ZIP file. I suppose it is available if one selects to use Altirra BASIC in the settings? Since I emulate a U1MB, I like to put ATBASIC in one of the slots of that. Sometimes I like to just launch it as an executable file too. Is there a way to download the 1.50 ATBASIC as a executable file or ROM?

Sorry to butt in but the executable is in the additions.atr that is included in the zip file..

• Like 2

Could someone who has tested all the various rom additions in the firmware portion of Altirra please post the set that matches the correct matches (within reason) so a pretty well known set exists, obviously roms that can be modified with various additions are going to vary a general set would be appreciated.

Sets which Altirra already internally identifies are not needed..

Cheers

Paul...

Edited by Mclaneinc

How does it choke up, and are you loading the executable directly or from a particular DOS?

1.50 bin+xex attached.

The way it chokes up is that the ENTERing process never concludes. If you hit break, the process stops but then there is a lock up condition. Reset rescues you. This is under SDX 4.47, 65C816 at top speed, VBXE, U1MB. Happens under 1.79MHz 6502C as well.

Ah, that would be why I couldn't reproduce it -- I was testing in PAL. A classic OS bug strikes again. :(

118590:248:  1 | A=00 X=01 Y=00 (   IZ ) | ED88: 30 0C             BMI $ED96
  118590:248:  3 | A=00 X=01 Y=00 (   IZ ) | ED8A: AD 0B D4          LDA VCOUNT
  118590:248:  7 | A=7C X=01 Y=00 (   I  ) | ED8D: A4 14             LDY RTCLOK+2

The Atari OS has a bug where it will miscompute the baud rate if one of the two samples around the sync bytes lands immediately before the vertical blank interrupt. Unfortunately, the timing in the emulator is deterministic, so if you hit this at some point in the load, you'll hit it every time with the same settings. Yet another issue to waste time on, and yet another reason I hate tape.

Thanks for the update on Altirra and ATbasic :-)

Soon you will change your mind to loving tapes and supporting them..... I did.....

Regarding to the "Bruce Lee Problem"

It still happens that the baudrate is incorrectly set and the bootloader is aborted.

Perhaps this can help.

In altirra 2.70 I get a pokey-divider of a steady $5BE, where in 2.80 it's a steady $5D4.

Cheers,

Sijmen.

• Like 2

The way it chokes up is that the ENTERing process never concludes. If you hit break, the process stops but then there is a lock up condition. Reset rescues you. This is under SDX 4.47, 65C816 at top speed, VBXE, U1MB. Happens under 1.79MHz 6502C as well.

Under the same environment, BASIC XL 1.03 (via cartridge) also chokes on ENTERing this, but in a different way:

post-40960-0-21292700-1453049722_thumb.png

Thanks for the best emulator for our beloving Ataris. One question thou. Maybe it was answered before, but anyway... I am bothered that program continues to run when I click menu View. Can this be configured to the same behavior from previous release? I am comfortable with halted program before making screenshot with Save Frame option.

Greetings

Edited by Gury

Under the same environment, BASIC XL 1.03 (via cartridge) also chokes on ENTERing this, but in a different way:

attachicon.gifburp.png

Perhaps BASIC XL takes exception to the first reverse-video quote character, assuming it's ending the string. Certainly it and the character immediately following it are highlighted. The arrow characters in the string appear to be causing the screwy printing.

Meanwhile, I can't replicate any problems with ENTER using Altirra BASIC using the same program for some reason.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Perhaps BASIC XL takes exception to the first reverse-video quote character, assuming it's ending the string. Certainly it and the character immediately following it are highlighted. The arrow characters in the string appear to be causing the screwy printing.

Meanwhile, I can't replicate any problems with ENTER using Altirra BASIC using the same program for some reason.

You might be onto something there with BASIC XL. Did you try using the executable file of Altirra BASIC, or with it as a cart or as the built in BASIC? It only gives me trouble with the executable file version.