IGNORED

Altirra 2.70 released

phaeron

You need to add a printer device in System > Devices -- usually the high-level emulated printer (P:), or one of the combo devices like the Black Box that has a printer port. Otherwise, you're just trying to print to P: with no printer attached.

You need to add a printer device in System > Devices -- usually the high-level emulated printer (P:), or one of the combo devices like the Black Box that has a printer port. Otherwise, you're just trying to print to P: with no printer attached.

Hello phaeron,

Thanks now its working.

Greetings,

Marco

I'm quite confused. I'm trying to save a gameplay for one of my new games and I couldn't get a working video. It seems that ZMBV and RLE need a special codec to reproduce them as I got a black image in VLC, but no compression produced a video with out-of-sync audio. I disabled OpenGL and/or Direct3D 9 and got in-sync audio, but no colours, only B/W video (capturing either PAL or NTSC) on VLC player. I don't want to edit the video with another tool to fix things... I just want to play the AVI that Altirra saves.

What could I be missing?

Can someone share his working configuration to compare with mine? Thanks!!!

I'm quite confused. I'm trying to save a gameplay for one of my new games and I couldn't get a working video. It seems that ZMBV and RLE need a special codec to reproduce them as I got a black image in VLC, but no compression produced a video with out-of-sync audio. I disabled OpenGL and/or Direct3D 9 and got in-sync audio, but no colours, only B/W video (capturing either PAL or NTSC) on VLC player. I don't want to edit the video with another tool to fix things... I just want to play the AVI that Altirra saves.

What could I be missing?

Can someone share his working configuration to compare with mine? Thanks!!!

I did a video capture last year using a previous version of Altirra (might be 2.50) and worked OK. I've checked that video now and I also got a black screen with audio. What has changed since then is Windows version... It was created using Win7 and now my notebook has Win10, so I guess that some codecs were lost during the (free) upgrade.

Well, i took the first video I created using current beta and uploaded it to YouTube even if I couldn't see the content, and it was converted OK, colorful and with in-sync audio. :)

But I'm stil condused about the out-of-sync audio during some combination of options in Altirra. Might be something in the installed codecs?

Use one of the Media Player Classic variants (MPC-BE or MPC-HC) along with ffdshow-tryouts. ZMBV is not a standard codec but the latter will decode it; the format originated with the DOSBox project and I reimplemented the compressor. RLE is standard but for some reason it has to be enabled in ffdshow configuration (MS RLE).

Uncompressed video takes a lot of bandwidth, so they can play out of sync if you don't have an SSD.

YouTube has a bug in their converter with null frames, so make sure "encode duplicate frames as full frames" is checked when creating videos for upload.

There seems to be some interference between PORTB memory extensions and Axlon memory extensions in Altirra 2.80-test-20 (19 too, for that matter).

1) Select System->Memory Config->256k (Rambo)

2) boot SpartaDOS X, type MEM: SDX will say that there are 12 banks of ext RAM. The PORTB mask (COMTAB+$1c) will be $7C (or %01111100). Recognized banks are $Ex, $Cx, $Ax.

3) now System->Memory Config->Axlon Ramdisk->select whatever besides None (e.g. 64k)

4) boot SpartaDOS X again, type MEM: now SDX will say there are only 8 banks of RAM. PORTB mask $3C (or %00111100), as if bit 6 was inactive. Banks $Ax are missing.

Some other weird effect:

1) System->Memory Config->Axlon Ramdisk->None

2) System->Memory Config->576k Compy (in fact: whatever Compy Shop you like, or 128k/130XE)

3) boot SpartaDOS X, load Turbo BASIC XL: during loading no screen noises are visible, as always on Compy Shops. PORTB mask $DE (%11011110), correct.

4) now System->Memory Config->Axlon Ramdisk->64k

5) boot SpartaDOS X: PORTB mask identical as above.

6) load Turbo BASIC XL: the loading screen will be disturbed as it usually is on Rambo extensions (eventhough Compy Shop is enabled).

I have to say that on XL/XE, in presence of a standard (PORTB-driven) RAM extension, the Axlon one is not even tested for, so its presence should not matter here. But it apparently does.

Edited by drac030

There seems to be some interference between PORTB memory extensions and Axlon memory extensions in Altirra 2.80-test-20 (19 too, for that matter).

The emulator currently aliases Axlon memory with PORTB memory, thus the issues with bank detection. I'll change this -- there's no reason these have to conflict.

Edited by phaeron
  • Like 2

I saw something for the first time that I'd never heard of, the 800XLF, a board with a new FREDDIE chip that actually went in to circulation, is there any merit in emulating it?

I know now that there are PCB's out in the wild but they are rare but I read that it actually was released in Europe.

Apparently the big addition was a proper memory management unit to manipulate data faster..

I'm not asking for it to be emulated, just wondering if you think it was worthwhile?

• Like 1

I really like the new 'Devices' interface model. It tidies up the menu system no end and is much more logically consistent. One thing I think could be improved though is the ability to 'Enable'/'Disable' devices you have already set up.

For instance, adding a SIDE2 is a somewhat long, three step process:

1. You add that device.
  2. You then tell it to include a hard drive.
  3. You specify the *.VHD you want to use as the hard drive image.

None of that is difficult of course, but it is a little tedious if you are often changing your configuration. In real life I am often plugging and unplugging the SIDE2. As it stands with Altirra, each time you want to emulate this user behaviour to 'unplug' you have to delete the device entry or to 'plug' you must go through the three steps again. Instead, I think a checkbox next to the SIDE2 - or any other entry - in the 'Device' TreeView control would be much more convenient. You want to 'unplug' then you uncheck, but your hard drive settings are unchanged for the next time you want 'plug'/check.

• Like 2

morelenmir, on 09 Mar 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:morelenmir, on 09 Mar 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:morelenmir, on 09 Mar 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

I really like the new 'Devices' interface model. It tidies up the menu system no end and is much more logically consistent. One thing I think could be improved though is the ability to 'Enable'/'Disable' devices you have already set up.

For instance, adding a SIDE2 is a somewhat long, three step process:

1. You add that device.
  2. You then tell it to include a hard drive.
  3. You specify the *.VHD you want to use as the hard drive image.

None of that is difficult of course, but it is a little tedious if you are often changing your configuration. In real life I am often plugging and unplugging the SIDE2. As it stands with Altirra, each time you want to emulate this user behaviour to 'unplug' you have to delete the device entry or to 'plug' you must go through the three steps again. Instead, I think a checkbox next to the SIDE2 - or any other entry - in the 'Device' TreeView control would be much more convenient. You want to 'unplug' then you uncheck, but your hard drive settings are unchanged for the next time you want 'plug'/check.

Took the words right outa my mouth.. Sometimes you just want to disable an item for a boot or two, then re-enable it.

Phaeron, i'm having an issue with Altirra creating a VHD for IDE + 2..

I'd create a simple, default 8 meg, Fixed Size, Auto Geometry image, mount it, Altirra spits out a Err 138 on reset/reboot/Format/close-reopen Altirra, cant do anything with it..

But if I remount an older image, created with a different VHD creator, everything is fine.

Closing the devices box then reopening clears out the Geometry information.. Is it possible to keep the information from blanking out?

Edited by Triads

...i'm having an issue with Altirra creating a VHD for IDE + 2..

I'd create a simple, default 8 meg, Fixed Size, Auto Geometry image, mount it, Altirra spits out a Err 138 on reset/reboot/Format/close-reopen Altirra, cant do anything with it..

But if I remount an older image, created with a different VHD creator, everything is fine.

Did you partition the VHD first? Just tried the same steps here and FDISK sees the physical disk, lets me create a small partition, and then I can format it. Error 138 is a DOS error suggesting there are simply no logical partitions with drive numbers on the VHD.

Did you partition the VHD first? Just tried the same steps here and FDISK sees the physical disk, lets me create a small partition, and then I can format it. Error 138 is a DOS error suggesting there are simply no logical partitions with drive numbers on the VHD.

Ha, I even own one of these and sometimes i'll forget a crucial step.. Thanks FJC. that's what I was missing.. guess some part of me was thinking the Partition table was there already

Thanks again