IGNORED

SGM ARE IN!

juice2839

The EVE sits in a full metal can away from the Adam. Basically in a faraday cage. That is one way to deal with the noise produced by the Adam.

Wrong. The Eve module is in a plastic case the same as your module.

I pulled out my trs80 color computer and speech sound cartridge. This uses the exact same speech and sound chip as the say game. It produced the exact same type buss noise on the trs80...

Wrong. I have an Eve speech module and it does not produce any extra noise.

I haven't tested on an adam yet, hope to this weekend. I don't notice a lot of noise with mine. The one issue I have is that it works on one of my CV, but not on the other (flat out fails). The OPCODE works perfect on both. I'm guessing that maybe the JB requires all the juice it can get, and my one CV doesn't supply enough!. I wonder what would happen if you combine the JB with with one of the HB carts that also requires all the voltage it can get. I think it's Lord of the Dungeons, would it cause a problem with JB on a well running CV? Maybe I'll try this weekend and see what happens.

My mistake it is surrounded by metal foil in the container.

Wrong. I have an Eve speech module and it does not produce any extra noise.

I never said it produced noise. I said it was away from the Adam and in effectively a faraday cage.

That is correct that the Eve unit is housed in a plastic case, but the big difference here could be that it is connected to the ADAM via a short ribbon cable and this could be just enough to avoid any sound corruption issues. I personally am only guessing here.

Now with the Juice SGM and the TRS-80 Co-Co Speech Cart, they are housed in cartrdige shells that plug directly into the system's PCB and that seems like a very viable answer but it still would be nice to see this whole issue researched further especially considering what Nanochess brought up.

Edited by NIAD

I haven't tested on an adam yet, hope to this weekend. I don't notice a lot of noise with mine. The one issue I have is that it works on one of my CV, but not on the other (flat out fails). The OPCODE works perfect on both. I'm guessing that maybe the JB requires all the juice it can get, and my one CV doesn't supply enough!. I wonder what would happen if you combine the JB with with one of the HB carts that also requires all the voltage it can get. I think it's Lord of the Dungeons, would it cause a problem with JB on a well running CV? Maybe I'll try this weekend and see what happens.

This is interesting. The juicebox does not draw much power at all. Maybe a few milliamps more than the Opcode SGM. If you PM me I would like to figure out why it's not working on one of your CV's and the Opcode does..

Edited by juice2839

I hope this clears up some concerns.

No it does not - it just confirms them. Now that you have effectively confirmed that you do NOT need to receive my unit back for "testing, i.e. the problem is indeed endemic to the current design, can you please honour my reasonable request for a refund.

• Like 1

Did you refund Rey's money yet? How many more members of the community should I allow you to insult and abuse before finally banning you from AtariAge? I'm thinking none.

..Al

No he hasn't and doesn't plan to as he's fighting it in paypal,even though I returned the item and it's more than evident that there's a problem.

Hmmm, looks like he got the ban hammer. I just hope those who need to stay in contact in order to straighten out your situation(s) can still do so.

No horse in this race but I truly hope he gets his shit together.. I wanted one of these but not now, not until you guys get your situations straightened out and also until this noise problem is fixed. It's a shame the way things have turned out, he seems to be very talented with electronics but his attitude is piss poor when it comes to dealing with the public. Is what it is though.. Good luck, fellas.

• Like 3

he seems to be very talented with electronics but his attitude is piss poor when it comes to dealing with the public

This is truly the sad part. I honestly believe that his talent could do some great things for the community, but if I had to choose between waiting a long time to get a quality product or dealing with someone who is stubborn and abusive to get something rushed to market, I'll choose to patiently wait. I really did try to help Juice and gave him as much good advice as I possibly could about dealing with other people and about positioning his developments, but he listened to zero of it. I was really hoping the outcome in this scenario would have been different...

• Like 5

Hmm, I don't think, that the ban at this point of time was the best thing to do - there are still too much open answers and money to be delivered.

My response from the private message thread:

I did test the module now under various circumstances (PAL & NTSC ColecoVision), different Power Supplies (also third party ones), Eduardo's SGM and various games (AtariMAX and individual cartridges) and found nearly no distortions:

The NTSC console is modified (S-Video and dual mono stereo output) and absolutely NO distortions.

Two tested unmodified CBS PAL consoles had slight distortions but this is due to the old antenna connection - I also had distortions with the SGM.

The only thing game-wise that puzzled me that I didn't get loud sound out of Thexder (tried with SGM, Fred's Juice Box Audio and Fred's Speech Game Module).....

Hmm, I don't think, that the ban at this point of time was the best thing to do - there are still too much open answers and money to be delivered.

I disagree - the man was patently rude, arrogant, aggressive and a liar to boot. He has taken people's money and in most cases not delivered the quality product that people expected. To make matters worse his final explanation of the problem was basically a statement that this is the 80's hardware fault and not his - so suck it up. No offer of any resolution whatsoever.

If you feel that you would like to return the product for a refund, and paid by PayPal, then I would suggest that you open a PayPal dispute. This appears to have been the only option to obtain a refund from the guy even before he was banned from AA.

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 3

I had put in a request via PayPal to Fred to refund the $100 for the Juice Box Audio that I have never received. This morning he cancelled that request with no additional follow-up message. At this point I have no idea if I will actually receive my item or not, but it most certainly seems like I won't be getting my money back. The other hundreds of dollars I gave him to help fund the drop-in CV board is gone, and I unfortunately have to accept that. But not getting a refund for the actual Juice Box I ordered is just not acceptable. Had there been a note that said "I am closing this invoice, you will receive your JuiceBox soon" then fine. But that's not what happened.

I fully back Albert on banning Fred from the community and everything Ikrananka said is spot on.

Ikrananka, on 18 Feb 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

the man was patently rude, arrogant, aggressive and a liar to boot. He has taken people's money and in most cases not delivered the quality product that people expected. To make matters worse his final explanation of the problem was basically a statement that this is the 80's hardware fault and not his - No offer of any resolution whatsoever.

• Like 1

To make matters worse his final explanation of the problem was basically a statement that this is the 80's hardware fault and not his - so suck it up. No offer of any resolution whatsoever.

This is the quote that made me think the most:

This device must be amplified. The op amp amplifies the speech chips output by a factor of 10. When this happens the buss noise is also amplified. This is not a defect in design nor a ground plain issue with the speech game module. This is inherently a problem with 80's technology. The fact is most of you probably don''t remember the 80s or maybe you were not there, but this was how the hardware ran.. Now I understand it's the 2010's and everyone expects crystal clear fiber optics quality sound..

80's hardware tends to be pretty good, I think. Lots of stuff from the 80s is still working, and working well. Consoles, stereos, etc. I think it was partly the FCC regulations and ability to spend time to focus on quality that made the difference (the ColecoVision isn't the greatest as far as quality goes, but I'm sure if the money was still flowing and if there was a proper update a couple of years later, it'd be much better). Sure, chip noise is a factor to be considered. However, I know improvements could have been made in the circuit design, logic, and/or board layout, to minimize the noise to a level where either you wouldn't notice it, or you wouldn't really care.

Plus, I think many of us remember the 80's very well. In the least, we're all familiar with the technology. ;)

• Like 5

I would guess that you are safe with PayPal if he hasn't shipped anything nor showed tracking or anything. Call them and they should take care of it. That nut job needs a bunch of charge backs on his PayPal.

Unfortunately, since I sent the payment as a "gift" there isn't anything that PayPal can do about it. It's up to Fred to just be honest and refund the money, which I'm not banking on at this point. I realize it was my own fault being trustworthy to send it like that, and if I don't get my money back I will suck it up and deal with it, it's just disappointing you know, because it just makes me want to trust people even less. This is the first person I've encountered within this community in the past year, and I feel like I have now had transactions with quite a number of people, who would make me question my trust of anyone on AtariAge. It's sad that it happened, but I'm going to try not to let that impact my thoughts on the community going forward. Another reason I'm happy to see Albert step in and address the situation.

So what do I need to do to get my money back? He's been banned from AA which is how I communicated with him. Do I just dispute the charge with Paypal?

If you paid by PayPal for "goods" as I did then you will be able to initiate a dispute based on the item being "significantly not as described".