IGNORED

Retro Freak firmware update

Newsdee

No, since a Wiimote isn't a light gun. The technology is completely different and utilizes a optical sensor on the tip of the controller that can see the IR light array of the Wii's sensor bar that's placed under or above your television. There's no way to adapt that to original hardware.

If you want to utilize a Wiimote for classic light gun shooters, it has to be done via emulation. There, it could be used for amounts to a pointer like a mouse in some PC emulators, with you moving on-screen crosshairs just like you do on the Wii U Virtual Console for emulated NES Zapper titles.

Or if they implement a fancy calibration routine that has you aiming it at the 4 corners of your tv, perhaps the ability to aim down the sights of something like the Nyko Perfect Shot gun shell could be allowed. That's what Sega's light gun style titles on the Wii allowed you to do with reasonable accuracy without an on-screen cursor.

Would be nice to see the RetroFreak do something like this.

Edited by Atariboy

Just while people are talking about supported peripherals - I assume you have all seen the official support page noting this (use google translate for English):

http://www.cybergadget.co.jp/support/retrofreak/supportlist/8070/

Also list of game specific issues here:

http://www.cybergadget.co.jp/support/retrofreak/supportlist/8077/

I have an emulator on the Wii for SFC which supports using the Wiimote for Superscope games which works decently. Would be amazing if Cybergadget could get that kind of emulation going via a bluetooth dongle!

I thought the Super Scope and Menaser used Wii type sensor bars? Don't they have some little box that goes on top of a tv?

Completely different tech. The super Scope has a visible light sensor, an IR transmitter, and a couple buttons on it. The light sensor detects the CRT beam as it scans the screen. The box thingy is an IR reciever that picks up an encoded signal from the scope, like an IR TV remote. It is wireless communication over IR, but the scope itself detects only visible light from the phosphors on the TV. As timing of the beam is critical to accurate aim, modern progressive displays will not work at all with it.

The Wiimote sensor bar actually has two IR diodes in the corners. Each Wiimote has a grayscale camera with a filter that is opaque to visible light. The Wiimote camera uses telemetry by measuring the position of the dots to determine the pitch, direction, and distance of the Wiimote to the bar. This data is further refined by a six axis accelorometer embedded within the Wiimote. All communication is handled by Bluetooth.

I have an emulator on the Wii for SFC which supports using the Wiimote for Superscope games which works decently. Would be amazing if Cybergadget could get that kind of emulation going via a bluetooth dongle!

Wii-U uses Wiimote tech for select lightgun enabled VC titles. Like mouse-enabled PC emulators, you can also "cheat" with 8-bit style crosshairs. It's like Nintendo lifted the idea directly from the unauthorized homebrew Wii/NES emulators! :D

• Like 1

It's like Nintendo lifted the idea directly from the unauthorized homebrew Wii/NES emulators! :D

That's poetic justice... :) they're also using save states with their Amiibo tab free game/app; which I thought was neat.

If you want to utilize a Wiimote for classic light gun shooters, it has to be done via emulation. There, it could be used for amounts to a pointer like a mouse in some PC emulators, with you moving on-screen crosshairs just like you do on the Wii U Virtual Console for emulated NES Zapper titles.

Yes I meant in emulation. I have an old GunCon for PS2 which is useless with my modern displays. Tempted to mod it but not sure the parts will fit nicely.

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1

Completely different tech. The super Scope has a visible light sensor, an IR transmitter, and a couple buttons on it. The light sensor detects the CRT beam as it scans the screen. The box thingy is an IR reciever that picks up an encoded signal from the scope, like an IR TV remote. It is wireless communication over IR, but the scope itself detects only visible light from the phosphors on the TV. As timing of the beam is critical to accurate aim, modern progressive displays will not work at all with it.

Like I said, it's a light gun.

How the Super Scope wirelessly communicates with the console isn't the main issue there, since that presumably could be worked around via their USB controller adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

I take it there's no way to play aftermarket games like Sacred Line on the Retro Freak? It wouldn't fit. Guess I'll have to play it on my actual Genesis. Not a huge deal, especially since aftermarket saves are likely safe for at least a good decade.

If its a standard cartridge it should work.

Games which are not in the included database come up with an "Unknown" plus a checksum. Its done this for some bootleg multi-carts I have tried. You can then go into the menu and tell it to write the game database to XML on the SD card. You can then edit the XML on the SD card and change the name from "Unknown" to the actual game name you want. From then on it will use the correct name.

I managed to get my hands on 3 addition separate RetroFreak controller adapters here in Hong Kong today so now I have a total of 4 for some authentic multiplayer goodness :-)

Also new video RetroFreak review from Gamester81 here:

• Like 1

Anyone get a problem like this on Sega Master System games? It appears to only happy on SMS games.

I think it's just like the Mario 3 issues with Virtual console. Most old TVs cropped the 8-pixel borders of games so the glitches did not show. It's likely present in the actual NTSC video stream of old hardware.

• Like 1

I'm having a issue updating the system I put a SD in and did the write to SD card system files and now my SD card is blocked from adding or removing files from it.

Probably cause you don't actually need to write the request to the SD card for the current update. Try deleting the file and then adding stuff to the SD card. Just get the update file straight from online.

Guest LiqMat

I'm having a issue updating the system I put a SD in and did the write to SD card system files and now my SD card is blocked from adding or removing files from it.

I am not trying to be insulting, but is your write protect tab on on the SD card?

• Like 1

Guest LiqMat

Have any of you inserted a NBA Jam cart yet into your RF? I have had two NBA Jam carts not pull up at all. I inspected both carts and all looks good physically. Recapped one of them just in case. Checked all solder joints. Just wondering if this particular cart had a poor quality PCB and is prone to failure. This particular game has the flip-flop ICs along the top of the PCB above the main game IC. Thanks.