IGNORED

Retro Freak firmware update

Newsdee

anyone get this message when updating to v1.6 on retrofreak

error:this version of retrofreak application (v1.6) requires system firmware v0.2.0 or above. you are currently running system firmware v0.1.0 please update

(nvm found system update i needed)

Edited by j360959

anyone get this message when updating to v1.6 on retrofreak

error:this version of retrofreak application (v1.6) requires system firmware v0.2.0 or above. you are currently running system firmware v0.1.0 please update

(nvm found system update i needed)

You must update first to v1.5

From the web:

update to ver1.6 is only possible from ver1.5. If your retro freak is ver1.0~1.4, update to ver1.5 from you, please perform the update to ver1.6.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a stupid question, but I can't quite figure out how to place an order if I missed the campaign. I had no idea about it, I rarely check Kickstarter, only when there's a really big release.

I think it's too late now. I'm one of the Kickstarter supporters for this. If I recall correctly, they said they would some variation of the product available after they fulfilled all of the Kickstarter orders, but they won't be quite as value-driven or have some of the extras Kickstarter supporters will get.

Regarding Kickstarter products, if you miss the Kickstarter, it is up to the creator if they want to open a website and continue to fulfill additional orders for products. Sometimes the kickstarter is a one time deal, sometimes the product becomes available at a later date for the masses still interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh this is new - Famicom to NES adapter from Cyber Gadget specifically for the Retrorfreak. Coming in July:

http://www.cybergadget.co.jp/products/4544859022630.html

I would question if this adapter has the proper pinout for full compatibility with real hardware. The Yobo adapter fails with Castlevania III and the Powerpak, and my Tototek PCB, which works with Powerpak, fails with new homebrews (Khan's The Incident) using GT-ROM flash mapper, and presumably others with 4-screen mirroring. I only have one FC<->NES adapter that works with The Incident, and ironically the PCB was initially mounted backwards in it's housing and required slight modding of the case to fix. There is one other import adapter I own that I have not tested with. That specific adapter was way too thick and I inserted it once and it was a bear to get out, I will not risk damaging my AV Famicom by inserting it again.

So the potential that a perfect Famicom Adapter with sturdy connector is available would be great, but we won't know for sure until it's released if it is universally compatible. There is a distinct possibility it only works on the Retro Freak.

Oh this is new - Famicom to NES adapter from Cyber Gadget specifically for the Retrorfreak. Coming in July:

http://www.cybergadget.co.jp/products/4544859022630.html

Sorry if it was already posted, I am not reading through every single post, but seems they have a similar page for a sega adapter with game gear, Sega MArk 3 and sg1000 carts and cards. Says for June...

Sorry if it was already posted, I am not reading through every single post, but seems they have a similar page for a sega adapter with game gear, Sega MArk 3 and sg1000 carts and cards. Says for June...

Yes. Some of us already pre-ordered it many, many months back. It keeps getting delayed. I think the latest delay might be into July now. I can't imagine why it's getting delayed since the software compatibility is working fine.

• Like 1

Guest LiqMat

Yes. Some of us already pre-ordered it many, many months back. It keeps getting delayed. I think the latest delay might be into July now. I can't imagine why it's getting delayed since the software compatibility is working fine.

From what I understand the device was developed using the Hamilton 95 OS and they are having enormous difficulty converting it from Hamilton 95's native 44-bit architecture.

It'd be nice if that adapter can be left in the system, the one I have now triggers the cart detect if left in.

It's worth noting that Famicom and NES have dual sets of ground pins, and I have this theory that the Retro Freak uses the connection between the grounds to detect the cart. For instance, my two "adult" Sachen carts are not detected by the Retro Freak at all. Soap Panic (Asian Bubble Bath Babes) is part of the No_Intro set and AV Pachinko is not. I stacked my 60<->72<->60 pin adapters together with Soap Panic and abracadabra, hocus pocus; the Retro Freak detected and dumped my game. AV Pachinko still did not dump properly, likely due to it's not being in the database.

My theory was that daisy chaining the pin adapters allowed the Retro Freak to detect the cartridge by completing a circuit that did not exist in the unlicensed Sachen carts. So if the Retro Freak NES adapter has separate ground pins for the traces on the Famicom port running to the separate traces on the NES port, then it may be possible to detect the NES cart as it is inserted into the adapter rather than as the adapter is inserted into the Retro Freak. I have no way to verify how the Retro Freak reads the carts; it is just a theory that I have. The Retro Freak also seems to fail at detecting certain 3rd party Genesis carts, including the official Genesis Six Pak and Camerica J-carts like Psycho Pinball and Micro Machines.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hyperkin finally released a new firmware for the Retron 5, for those of you that have one of those.

http://retron5.in/node/11

Changes in application update v2.4 include:

• Various optimizations and fixes included, resulting in the unit running cooler and more stable
  • Fast cartridge loading
  • Cheat code support added for GBA games
  • Added support for loading SRAM saves created by third party emulators
  • Fast forward modified to toggle on/off with the configured button combo, rather than the old hold to activate method
  • Many game compatibility fixes

NOTE: Unlike previous application updates, v2.4 comes in the form of a complete system software update. The installation procedure is different so please be sure to carefully read through the following instructions.

1. Download the system software update from HERE

2. Connect an SD card to your PC, then copy the downloaded file retron-system-update.img to it
  3. Switch on the Retron 5 if you have not already done so
  4. Safely remove the SD card from your PC, then insert into your RetroN 5
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions as indicated below to update the system software

Guest LiqMat

So Retron5 is dumping the update requests as well. Interesting...

Wondering why Cyber Gadget brought requests back with 1.6?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, everyone!
I'm new here in the forum and also in the Retro Freak world. Anyway, thanks in advance for all the messages with amazing info on the RF.

Unfortunately, for my first post, I bring sad news:

http://www.play-asia.com/retro-freak-gear-converter-for-game-gear-sega-mark-iii-sg-1000-/13/709flf

I was about to purchase the Retro Freak Gear Converter and noticed that they changed the date of release. Now the item is expected by Aug. 31. That's a total bummer!!!

Latest from Play-Asia on the Gear Converter (at this point, I'll probably just cancel):

product name previously listed
release date updated
release date Retro Freak Gear Converter (for Game Gear / Sega Mark III /SG-1000 Game Soft) Jul 10, 2016 Aug 31, 2016

Updated estimated shipping date*: Sep 01, 2016