IGNORED

Retro Freak firmware update

Newsdee

Guys, can someone help a brother in need?

I'm not managing to update my Retro Freak from the V1.4 to the V1.5. I always reache the reboot part of the upsate, but the console is freezing after the reboot countdown is over.

I've read all the instructions in the post and googled to see if anyone had the same issue, but after freezing I have to shut it off and the turn it on again to see that the RF had the same V1.4 firmware.

I've uploaded to the V.14 FW using the .dat file RF sends to te SD card, but the V1.5 doesn't require. I'm kind of lost here.

Thanks so much in advance.

I just tried to boot up Sonic-Return to the Origin on my Retro Freak, and it just hung at the Sega logo. The weird thing is, the exact same file runs fine on my PSP. I'm wondering if I somehow did something wrong, since it makes little sense why it'd work on one and not the other.

As a sidenote, I've been planning to stream this hack, so discovering that it won't run on my Retro Freak is a real downer. I'm aware there are ways to stream from a PSP but A) I don't know how and B) It'd feel strange to stream from a handheld

Guest LiqMat

Latest from Play-Asia on the Gear Converter (at this point, I'll probably just cancel):

product name previously listed

release date updated

release date Retro Freak Gear Converter (for Game Gear / Sega Mark III /SG-1000 Game Soft) Jul 10, 2016 Aug 31, 2016

Updated estimated shipping date*: Sep 01, 2016

I cancelled with PlayAsia myself after this latest update as I am selling my Retro Freak console. I just travel too much and emulation is my best bet. Too bad it is taking so damn long for this to ship.

I cancelled with PlayAsia myself after this latest update as I am selling my Retro Freak console. I just travel too much and emulation is my best bet. Too bad it is taking so damn long for this to ship.

Yes, I successfully canceled last week. Got a full refund. At least they're good about it and understand the issue with the non-stop delays from the Retro Freak creators. I really only wanted it to have a complete system, otherwise there's not much use for it now that you can just play the ROMs directly.

Guest LiqMat

I really only wanted it to have a complete system, otherwise there's not much use for it now that you can just play the ROMs directly.

Exactly why I ordered it as well.

Guest LiqMat

I don't know if you guys saw this, but they both work rather well on the RF.

Cave Story for the Sega Genesis is a work in progress, but the latest version rarely locks up on me.

https://github.com/andwn/cave-story-md/releases

and Super Boss Gaiden for the SNES is just plain fun (I especially like the title screen tune). Download link within the article. Enjoy!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/11/someone-made-a-game-that-works-on-the-unreleased-nintendo-playstation

Edited by LiqMat

Hey, everyone.
It seems my problem was bigger than I thought. After trying to update several times, with no success, I gave up and decided to stay with my 1.4 version.
I've been playing the Retro Freak normally, but because of a trip I left for a week. Yesterday, when I tried to turn the RF on, the console was not passing the main title screen. Now I'm trying to turn it on, but I always get stucked on the same screen.

I've uploaded this video for reference: https://youtu.be/o67OhC9qCiY

I tried to contact the company CyberGadget but they are telling me that they can't help me since I live outside Japan.

Does anyone, for the love of God, can help me with this problem?

Thanks a lot in advance, guys!

Try to boot without the cart adapter to see if it helps.

I had a problen with a second one I bought for a gift (which luckily I tried first!) and ended up exchanging it. The problem was the cart adapter didn't connect well for some reason and it would try to update it and get stuck.

Also try without the SD card in case it's corrupted and it causes that.

Guys, can someone help a brother in need?

I'm not managing to update my Retro Freak from the V1.4 to the V1.5. I always reache the reboot part of the upsate, but the console is freezing after the reboot countdown is over.

I've read all the instructions in the post and googled to see if anyone had the same issue, but after freezing I have to shut it off and the turn it on again to see that the RF had the same V1.4 firmware.

I've uploaded to the V.14 FW using the .dat file RF sends to te SD card, but the V1.5 doesn't require. I'm kind of lost here.

Thanks so much in advance.

Hi all,

Hmmm. I'm having this self same issue. Always hangs after the reboot countdown leading to it needing to be powered off and on and returning to the '1.4' state. Tried three different SD's, tried re-downloading and extracting and tried both with and without the cart adaptor. I'm at a bit of a loss what to do with it really as its working okay (for the moment !) and did update to V1.4 so its not exactly faulty.

New SNES Retro Receiver is out and they are advertising support for Wii Classic Controllers and the Retro Freak is shown midway through the video. I ordered one and I'm modding my Tatsunoko V Capcom stick for upcoming heavy use.

Play Asia had them in as of 2pm Central.

https://youtu.be/FzN6P6nHg0k

I hope they make a Genesis one... so it also works with Atari and Amigas :D

• Like 1

New SNES Retro Receiver is out and they are advertising support for Wii Classic Controllers and the Retro Freak is shown midway through the video. I ordered one and I'm modding my Tatsunoko V Capcom stick for upcoming heavy use.

Play Asia had them in as of 2pm Central.

I noticed they have increased the price on these. The 8bitdo wireless NES reciever was $20 when it came out (I should have bought two of those), now $25. The SNES reciever is also $25 and the gamepads are still $32. Shipping adds $10.

I don't play SNES that frequently as NES so may just pass for now. If I buy another controller it will probably be one of the Pros so I can use it with Wii-U. I've currently got the NES30 and the FC30.

Another solution for players wanting wireless on the Retro Freak. I got this today. It is a Mayflash Wireless Wii to USB adapter. Works great. Very little lag. I didn't notice any during Super Mario playtest.

I am using my Wii Tatsunoko VS Capcom fightstick. It uses 3 AAA batteries. The RF sees it as a usb device.

post-30305-0-37692800-1469650073_thumb.jpeg

Hi guys,

I'm also having the same issue with my RF in that I can't update the FW past 1.4.

Has anyone found a fix for this or any way round it?

The RF is perfect for my retro gaming collection ive installed over 80 of my snes, Drive carts and a few of my hucards too. The console i'd say is 95% perfect for me and i updated it to 1.4 without any problems.

It does get quite hot tho even just playing for an hour or so just using the console 'brain' on its own with no in-game filters on either. I don't want it to fry in that little case and I read updating to 1.5 fixes the overheating issue somewhat.

The problem is the 1.5 update is found on the micro sd ok and all seems to be going well until it says it needs to reboot after installing. Then I just get stuck with the white retrofreak screen and have to power off the unit because it's not auto rebooting to finish the update.

It then powers on fine again and still runs sweet although i'm still stuck on version 1.4.

Ive also tried different micro sd's, unplugging the cart adapter and controller adapter before updating but alas all to no avail.

I picked mine up new off ebay and am reluctant to return it as it runs sweet and I updated it fine using the cyber gadget site to v 1.4.

Wonder if this is a common issue? Would even trying to reinstall my 1.4 update again work or im guessing maybe it wouldn't be recognised as an update on the micro sd?

Hmm, what to do?

:-)

Thanks for the review, Bill.

Did you happen to put a Classic Controller through its paces? I assume that it works given the Wiimote compatibility, but I've never seen anyone actually say that they tried plugging in a Classic Controller.

I have not. So far, I've only tried it with a PS3 controller and the SNES30. I can't imagine there would be any issues.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I need to check but I think it's all in the same folder. You can dump one cartridge and see where it saves it.

Also FYI it can play ROMs from anywhere, but the ones dumped by the unit will only work there as it does some kind of encryption.

So roms can be in sub folders? Still waiting for my console to arrive. Just want to be ready for when it comes. Very little info on how the sd card is to setup for roms? Thanks for reply

So roms can be in sub folders? Still waiting for my console to arrive. Just want to be ready for when it comes. Very little info on how the sd card is to setup for roms? Thanks for reply

Sorry, actually I meant that you can use ROMs that you have from other places, but I think they need to be in the same folder on the SD card. You distinguish them by file extension.